The Last of Us - Edge has given this a [10] FYI
  • Gamermike wrote:
    So theres todays episode THEN one more - and that will wrap up all the first game I think.

Yeah that sounds right. Tonight's should be a banger if you know how the game goes.

• m0hellodave_m_Black.jpg
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Oof, that was a good one!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • My least favourite episode so far. It's been so long since I played the game I don't remember any of the David stuff, was a wee bit weak imo.

Naturally it was the wife's fave.
  • Mrs Moot knows. Mr Moot doesn’t.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • another great episode

is starting to feel a tad rushed though
    PSN - minkymu
  • Like GOT season 8 rushed
    PSN - minkymu
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    I’m getting a little worried about that too.

I’m struggling to remember what happens after this bit in the game, but it does feel like there’s a load to cover in just one more episode.

Perhaps it’s going to be a 1.5 hour mega episode?
  • Definitely rushed.

A really good episode of TV, but the time simply wasn't there to develop the relationship between David and Ellie.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    This episode was entertaining, possibly because there were no stupid mushroom zombies in it.
  • Thought this was the weakest episode so far. Real shit-tier plotting from start to finish. Redeemed only by the good performances.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Enjoyed the episode. Wracking my brain trying to think where I'd seen the actor who played Dave before, turns out it was
    Spoiler:
    ...should've got it, I'm normally great with 'where do I know him from'. Could picture him as a wrong-un.

Anyway, reading this morning, turns out the guy who played the other baddie fella, James is
    Spoiler:
    Nice easter egg.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Mrs Moot knows. Mr Moot doesn’t.

Pretty much what everyone is now saying at work.  Seems to be a popular episode.

I thought the whole
    Spoiler:
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    Once again, there’s a whole load of dialogue lifted straight from the game, and the lines added for the show work really well for fleshing out the story of David and his followers. I think the show handled the cannibalism stuff a bit better, aided by the fact that they’re not limited to what Joel and Ellie see, but by having an extended period of frantic gameplay where Ellie and David fight off a whole load of infected, it made more sense that there was a sliver of trust between Ellie and David that then catches her more off guard.

Yeah, I like that they spend time to develop the "other side" as the makers call it. That extended gameplay section really serves to add weight to the relationship between Ellie and David before things get flipped. Instead, we have more set-up painting David as a different kind of character. More depraved and less complex. Can't help feeling that it's budget constraints leading to certain action sequences being dropped from the show.
  • I too thought it was rushed and could've been better, definitely should've been longer.

@moot
    Spoiler:

Personal highlight was David's portrayal and Troy Baker being the absolute star of the episode. Belle was good again but I much prefer the way Joel was in the game in this section. The game game interrogation scene was way better as was his timing on finding Ellie.

I enjoyed it but its the first episode I thought didn't convey the emotion of the game or do it justice. Just thought it had more potential.
  • Agree, I think the game deals with this section better, but it is one of my favourite gaming sections ever to be fair. Still thoroughly enjoyed the TV show. I just didn't totally buy into David's obsession with Ellie. The pay-off wasn't earned.

I have a general sense that...
    Spoiler:
  • Imagine if they go off-script for the finale and really piss everyone off lmao.
  • Don't click Nick, sequel stuff.
    Spoiler:
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Don't click Nick, sequel stuff.
    Spoiler:

Ha, now you mention it.
  • drumbeg wrote:
    Agree, I think the game deals with this section better, but it is one of my favourite gaming sections ever to be fair. Still thoroughly enjoyed the TV show. I just didn't totally buy into David's obsession with Ellie. The pay-off wasn't earned.

I have a general sense that...
    Spoiler:

You're probably right there although I do think show Joel has been made to seem much more vulnerable and less capable physically than game Joel. Every bit as cold and dark though.

• Must...resist...
  • Just to echo what some of you have already said, I enjoyed that episode but my wife loved it. Whatever they’re doing to tweak this story towards a broader audience than the game - it’s working.

And while I may not have thought it was the most amazing piece of scripting/plotting, there’s no knocking the delivery. I was just as heart-in-my-mouth during Ellie’s fight with the guys as my wife was. Hell of a way to end an episode, proper adrenalin and emotion.

Again, the show is all the stronger for focusing on the people not the zombies. The infected are the worldbuilding, the people are the story.
  • It was the baby-girl line that sold it all. Joel now sees her as his daughter.
  • Gamermike wrote:
    Imagine if they go off-script for the finale and really piss everyone off lmao.

funny you should say that. bella has recently said the finale will be controversial
    PSN - minkymu
  • Well that was an intense episode…Even when you know what’s coming it’s still just as intense.
  • Having just played through that section it was interesting in that they followed it so closely.  In the game it was the strongest part (imo), in the show the weakest episode.  Guess that’s why video games don’t translate well to tv/movies - the plot in a game is there to serve challenge in a show the same plot just feels contrived
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • I actually thought it was weaker for not following the game as closely as it should. Namely, no infected and less bonding time between David and Ellie.

The makers have said that they felt having infected in this section would present logical problems for the plot and setting. Just seems a bit of a cop out to me. I was reading about a portion of viewers who haven't played the game who are wondering whether the infection is kind of resolved in some areas of the country. They are confused about the lack of infected threat.

On the other hand, the change whereby Joel does not enter the steak house at the end does make more sense logically and works equally as well as in game.

On the whole, I thought it was still great TV, but the game edges it in this section. This episode should have been over 2 parts.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!