The Last of Us - Edge has given this a [10] FYI
  • this is great again.

topped off by a great depeche mode cover at the end by jessica mazin, which annoyingly i cant download from the usual legal sources
    PSN - minkymu
  • Another great episode. Again with the feels.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I didn't much like the game. I don't much like this either. Didn't the Walking Dead do this years ago? The only thing I like really is the kid. She looks like her mother might have been an alien.
  • Kow wrote:
    I didn't much like the game. I don't much like this either. Didn't the Walking Dead do this years ago? The only thing I like really is the kid. She looks like her mother might have been an alien.
    the father / son dynamic in walking dead banged on those sentimental levers hard.
    Last of us is far better on every level but the same setting / world premise
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Loved episode 6. Great shift of pace. Great locations/shots. Some interesting changes to Joel's character here. Also loved that they used quite a few elements from TLOU2. Again, they deviated from the source material in a way that made more sense for a TV show, whilst preserving a key scene almost note for note (what was the line they omitted - someone mentioned this earlier?).
  • drumbeg wrote:
    Loved episode 6. Great shift of pace. Great locations/shots. Some interesting changes to Joel's character here. Also loved that they used quite a few elements from TLOU2. Again, they deviated from the source material in a way that made more sense for a TV show, whilst preserving a key scene almost note for note (what was the line they omitted - someone mentioned this earlier?).

The line was
    Spoiler:
    in the bedroom scene. I mean the rest of it was almost word for word and they did a great job of it. I just love the way that line is delivered, same way they changed the line during the ambush scene a few episodes earlier from Joel saying "he ain't even hurt".

Its all good though, and Ellie's follow up line about everyone leaving her except for fucking you was delivered brilliantly by Ramsey.
  • Ah, yes. I'll listen to the pod and see if there is some reasoning there. Sometimes the actors think they have a better take on things, such as with Bill and the "Jackboot new world order motherfuckers..." line (which was meant to just represent the thought in his head, but the actor insisted on saying).

It's not an essential line....but it's one I remember clearly from the game including how it is delivered, so I totally get your point.
  • drumbeg wrote:
    Ah, yes. I'll listen to the pod and see if there is some reasoning there. Sometimes the actors think they have a better take on things, such as with Bill and the "Jackboot new world order motherfuckers..." line (which was meant to just represent the thought in his head, but the actor insisted on saying).

It's not an essential line....but it's one I remember clearly from the game including how it is delivered, so I totally get your point.

Yeah I love that line from Bill ha!

I'm just so impressed with what they've kept in, taken out or changed from the game to adapt it for TV. The fact that scenes from the game can be compared to the show and people debate which they prefer in every instance is quite an achievement. Each episode seems to hit just the right beats at the right time. This felt like just what was needed after that amazing episode 5.

• Are they planning on finishing the whole first game in season 1? Cos there’s lots still to get through.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yes. This season will cover the first game.

3 episodes to go and we have Left Behind DLC, David and conclusion to cover, which I assume will be broken up into the 3 discrete episodes. Some fans of the game online have voiced worries about this pacing. I say, the makers know what they are doing, it's a great show. Let's just enjoy the ride.
  • Cupatay wrote:
    The line was
    Spoiler:
    in the bedroom scene.

So, they covered this in the pod. They left it out as they thought it didn't suit this version of Joel so well and referenced his difference in dialect from the game. Interesting. I'm glad they put this much thought into the details.
  • This whole season is great so far. Manages to punch miles above what's basically standard stuff In terms of zombies/outbreak apocalypse etc. I think Joel is cast well - although it's a job plenty of actors could nail imo - but the girl who plays Ellie is perfect.
  • Episode three made me cry like I haven't at a TV show ever.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Perhaps it was just me because I was in a funny mood but I didn't think that tonight's episode had the same emotional impact as episode 3 even though they kind of dealt with similar themes.

Still some clever moments in it though.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I loved it. Thought the performances by the two girls were outstanding.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • There’ll be more of that story next week I reckon.
  • It was the weakest episode so far. Still good, just not as good as the rest.

I like that this is like early Walking Dead, when one or two zombies was a problem.
  • My friends who haven't played the game didn't like episode 7 as much. They thought it was boring. I tried to explain to them that the DLC is very glacial in it's pace, so in that way, it's a true adaptation. I thought it was a good piece of standalone TV. Top performances by Bella and Storm. They were charming, funny, emotional. They nailed it. They way the interiors in this episode were built and lit was sublime. An absolute 4K colour-fest. Stunning looking episode. The edits towards the end cutting back and forth were done superbly and delivered on the relevance of Ellie's backstory to the here and now.

I share the concerns of others about there only being 70-ish minutes of this series left and a hell of a lot to fit in.
  • Two episodes left. They’ve been around 50-70 mins each I think, apart from the pilot which was 90 or so minutes.
  • Are episode lengths known at this stage?  I was expecting another sub-hour ep followed by a 80-90min finale tbh.  The action scenes have been quite good but I'm glad they've been used sparingly.
  • Yes, they are. Next week is under an hour and the final episode is the shortest at 43 minutes.

Ignore my previous shitty maths! About 90-100 minutes left then.

The length of the finale surprised me at first, but then I thought about how sometimes a shorter, more focussed balls-to-the-wall high budget episode can work wonders.
  • Oh.  Well that's less than I expected!  Wonder why such a short finale?!
  • I was hoping for 80 minutes plus, but let's see. There is a lot of credit in the bank so far with this show. Can only think the makers landed on that run time after some serious editing time and felt it was what worked best to deliver the ending the show deserves.

I think I'm actually more concerned with the next episode. It's my favourite section of the game with a character, who is, in my opinion one of the most well developed "bad" guys in gaming. It's also a section that is very thematically important to the game(s). The game takes its time to establish characters, relationships and action over this section. I struggle to see how it can be done in an hour...but, like I said...credit in the bank!
  • Yeah I'd of thought the next episode would have been longer too. Both are actually a little shorter than I'd of imagined considering your points above drum.
  • My wife is officially out on watching tlou, ironically she sat through a whole lot of walking dead
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Mine tried to bail yesterday but I think I kept her in by saying 'there's only one episode left'. I just need to act surprised at the end of episode 8. She doesn't like the constant feeling of dread, apparently. Maybe I'll tell her it brightens up a bit for season two.
  • I liked yesterday's episode but I couldn't get on board with somebody learning all the finishing moves in MKII after playing it for a couple of hours on their own. Total Immersion breaker.
  • Same.  I was like wtf she learnt fatalities how?!  A guidebook survived somewhere nearby?
  • Guys, this is a show where the main protagonist walks around listening to her Sony Walkman...twenty years after the apocalypse.
    Where is she getting the fucking batteries???

Really, I think you just have to accept that much of the plotting is absolute shit tier nonsense, and just revel in the amazing performances.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Oh I gave up ages ago.  Like, where did Abby get synthetic steroids for TLOU2 to look like that, they have those factories up and running?!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!