Halo, is it me you're looking for?
  • Because his team is guaranteed victory due to ragequitters so he is taking the opportunity to read a short story.
  • It's dull as anything hunting down single opponents (unless you're all teabagging them upon every death waaaheeey).
  • I've also been booted and banned for suiciding too often in a game we were winning by an absolute mile and in which 2 of the other team had quit. I was trying to learn a jump!
    GT: Knight640
  • Knight wrote:
    Think I was going to say something about bans but couldn't be bothered. Anyway... they're draconian and counterproductive in keeping your playing population up. If you're going to ban people you have to make sure they're actually the problem. I've been banned a couple of times for idling in games where the opposition has all quit except one. That is ridiculous.

And I've just lost by double figures on coliseum because a fucking nupty is idling for the first 4 minutes before being dropped.

Idling in arena is a massive problem. The maps and gametypes are balanced. If you make it 3 on 4,or worse, give the enemy a free kill in slayer then it's diabolical.

There's no excuse for idling in arena at the start of a season. Games are immediate.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • And I'm coming into the thread hot because of that, not pissed at you.

Absolutely agree that any punishment needs to get the right players, but I've seen enough to be of the opinion they are doing OK.

My only gripe would be they need a mercy rule as well as the bans.
  • And that's another game lost to quitters.
  • And first lag loss for a long time. Awful.

1 win out of qualifiers. And I played as well as I can in at least 4.

Clearly, previous seasons help mm.
  • Gold 1. Top 2 on my team in 8 out of 10 games. Thanks cretins who don't even know what the big shiny green icons are.
  • Need a hug, buddy?
  • Quitters etc have always been a problem in Halo though. Idling will happen more what with the game automatically queueing now. And the ranking system as it is definitely puts a premium on 10 placement games in a way that makes rubbish teammates particularly grating.

Re the lag issue, these servers really are bad. They go down entirely fairly often and sometimes there's inexplicable lag in game.
  • Knight wrote:
    Re the lag issue, these servers really are bad. They go down entirely fairly often and sometimes there's inexplicable lag in game.

Not so much servers as how they've opened them up. When I first got the game, and I assume prior, the servers were pristine because they kept it fairly tightly region locked. As pop has dropped, to allow for people actually getting games, they've opened it up. Usual north American etc servers stuff going on.

But it means I get to play btb.

I think the option is coming soon.

• Yes they've opened them up (which is worrying for playing pop btw) but the servers are also bad. They're regularly going down and sometimes lag can't simply be explained by the servers opening up.
  • 343 you buffoons. Why are you making me play Overgrowth TS, one of the worst maps ever made, sometimes seeming to rival the almost impossibly bad Orbital in its one dimensional, corridor fight x infinity gameplay, 3 times in my first 7 placement TS games?
  • Knight wrote:
    Yes they've opened them up (which is worrying for playing pop btw) but the servers are also bad. They're regularly going down and sometimes lag can't simply be explained by the servers opening up.

Servers for reqs prior to opening, but servers for games were the best ever. Just perfect.

• Best ever servers don't regularly go down or chuck you back to playlist screen after searching for a minute, or lag in game for no reason. Servers functioning properly is entirely normal in something like CS:GO or Starcraft on PC.

Team Arena is going to become the competition settings on may 23rd apparently and from 9-23rd it's going to be only the gametypes/maps they're thinking of including for competition settings. Good work 343.
  • @Knight

So...errr....is "idling" what they call standbying thesedays??! I feel like Nexx is leading you astray!

Tut tut Knight, you just gotta believe man! Believe!!11!1!
    Believe!
  • Knight wrote:
    Best ever servers don't regularly go down or chuck you back to playlist screen after searching for a minute, or lag in game for no reason. Servers functioning properly is entirely normal in something like CS:GO or Starcraft on PC. Team Arena is going to become the competition settings on may 23rd apparently and from 9-23rd it's going to be only the gametypes/maps they're thinking of including for competition settings. Good work 343.

It is embaressing really. We pay for xbox live. No fee to play counter-strike on steam once you have bought it for like 12 quid, much less lag. Don't understand it.
  • I will defend, again, the in game lag prior to the region lock going.

Prior to that, from when I got the game:

- I could count on one hand the number of games with any noticeable lag at all. Couldn't play with Nexx or Tiger, as the lag was too noticeably bad compared to playing with Oz players.

- Again, I could count on one hand the number of times I was dropped from an arena game.

- I did have a run of problems, which seemed to be wide spread, waiting for reqs to load, both in warzone, and in menu.

- Had a week or so when I was getting regularly dropped from Warzone.

- Had single digit games in BTB because no matter the time I tried, search would time out.

Post update:

- More noticeably laggy games in arena, but same or quicker search times, and if it's at a regular time for Oz, lag is fine.

- haven't had dropouts in Warzone, but haven't played as much, have had the req issue once.

- Can get a game in BTB pretty much any time. Yes, often on a NA server, and yes, sometimes it's laggy.

I can't recall servers being down for any noticeable period of time for ages.
  • I believe you Face and the servers may well have gotten worse (that's certainly the whispers from other places). They were out this weekend just gone for a bit which slowed down an online qualifier. I've been on the XBL service update website twice in the last month because the game has been down, once for a significant period of time. But comparing H5 servers, which normally work but for which problems are a regular occurrence, with servers in lots of other games shows how bad they are. Other servers simply work.
  • How are there still folks that dont know that br spawn on rig is the side to be?
  • Just saw your ghost video Face, was convinced it'd be a splatter triple kill as you boosted toward them.
  • Maybe MS are switching Halo 5 to less powerful servers. Maybe they give the best servers to new games to get good reviews.
  • Knight wrote:
    Just saw your ghost video Face, was convinced it'd be a splatter triple kill as you boosted toward them.

Possibly the worst aspect of btb lag, Tbh.

Had similar on deadlock the other day, and the Spartan sent me flying.

• Some more forge love.

https://youtu.be/fltdYztC1L0
    This one is stunning, and looks like it plays great.

https://youtu.be/ujEqB9VlWqA
    Just solid all round. Simple use of colours.

https://youtu.be/iLQZcLO2W28
    This is amazing aesthetically, but looks like it plays great too.

https://youtu.be/C-qJKwG6FGU
    Just for knight.
  • http://i.imgur.com/bfpi869.mp4

"Time to go clutch."
  • memories of reach update update
    - mm search preferences coming
    - post game carnage report getting back to h3 functionality with medals etc etc.

For Memories of Reach, we’ve fixed a bug where Spartan Charge would not properly target enemies at the edges of a red reticle on the horizontal plane (you can still get red reticle and miss vertically). Fear not, though – players who skillfully evade a Spartan-Charging player with Thrust will still escape without taking damage. Additionally, Spartan Charge with Speed Boost will no longer be a one-hit kill, and Spartan Charge with the Gravity Hammer will no longer be a one-hit kill.
    The last item is a slight increase to movement speed while crouching. This has been increased to allow for crouching to be a more viable choice for players to flank and attack. The speed isn’t drastic, but after months of testing we’ve found it to be the sweet spot.

2 bits of good news there. How that spartan charge thing made it in at all I don't know.

h5-guardians-mor-req-infographic-small-380d2a7695b843e3a495fd0f2fe7b33b.jpg

Concept art for the new map:

h5-guardians-concept-art-stasis-small-3f2e5fdda7b148d787e644306a4054eb.jpg

Dangerously looking like a variant of Torque with snow. Better not be.

In total, over a dozen weapon variants have been updated to have a more appropriate effectiveness. We’ll start by detailing the Plasma Caster and Hydra updates specifically, and then get into the full list

PLASMA CASTER UPDATE
    The intended use case of the Plasma Caster has been “indirect fire”. Shoot around cover, predict enemy movement, etc. And it does fill that role to a degree.

However, the indirect fire from the sticky grenade was pretty much only effective if you get a direct stick. The use case of putting the sticky in a strategic position and letting the cluster grenades rain down on enemies was not working as intended.

The following balance changes will be in effect after Memories of Reach:

Cluster grenades are more effective
    Charge shot has less arc
    Regular grenade will explode slightly faster after bouncing
    HYDRA LAUNCHER UPDATE
    Hydra is filling its role well, with the exception of engaging multiple targets at close range. The splash damage radius was very, very small. Also, the recoil when jumping was not helping players accurately place rockets where they intended.

The following balance changes will be in effect after Memories of Reach:

Recoil has been reduced
    Rocket splash damage radius increased
    Typhon variant: Can now lock onto 3 enemies at once for extra coolness!
    WEAPON BALANCE UPDATE SUMMARY – MEMORIES OF REACH
    Plasma Caster: Default

Reduced non-charged timer from 0.5 to 0.3 (less overshooting of enemies)
    Sticky grenade has less arc (to be able to place it on the map more reliably)
    Sticky grenade detonation is now more damaging vs. vehicles, but less damaging vs bipeds (will still kill bipeds in one shot when stuck)
    Increased sticky grenade submunition damage values from 43 to 75 (indirect fire from a sticky shot can now actually kill!)
    Sticky submunition grenade inner AOE increased from 0.65 to 1.0
    Good changes there.
  • Oh wow re the crouching change. That's like sticking a plaster on a leg that's been blown off. If you want flanking and offensive 'attacking' play to be encouraged you're going to have to fix the camper's best friend, radar. That and how OP the automatics are makes this game a bit of a joke competitively sometimes.
  • Radar has to stay. Unless you want them to find a way to force headset use. People have their head up their ass enough with radar.

Like the flag HUD icon when they get shot, radar is necessary evil to keep the game playable in mm with randoms. IMO.

The amount of head up ass cheap kills you would get in arena with no radar would be a farce.

• Knight wrote:
    That and how OP the automatics are makes this game a bit of a joke competitively sometimes.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/team-arena-summer-preview

Worth a read through.

Lot of SMG removal going on in the summer preview...
  • Really should go back to this. Just no one to play with and matchmaking fails me too often.

The Emile set is a big yes from me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!