Sonic The Hedgehog
  • Definitely up for Mania, unlikely to give Project Sonic a second thoughf until I laugh at the reviews.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Definitely up for Mania, unlikely to give Project Sonic a second thoughf until I laugh at the reviews.

It's made by the team that done Generations and Colors though. Surely enough there for a little hope?

Mania looks better sure, but Sonic 4 ticked those same boxes and ended up inferior to Gens/Colors.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I like the retro sprite look they have gone for in Mania. I think the art was a big part of the appeal to me as a kid.
  • The Christian Whitehead splash screen on Mania refers to a bloke who is an indie dev and has done homebrew remixes of Sonic games in the past.

It is like Sega have just started reading fan suggestions from ten years ago.
  • Only played Colors, which was a solid 6.  Plus I assume that's a selective list of developed titles?  If it's good I'll probably get it, but the chances of it being essential are infinitesimal.  I initially hoped the tone of the trailer would make way for 'aha! Blue skies!', but nope.  One out of two isn't bad for Sonic games these days though, I'll cross my fingers for the throwback effort.
  • Mania has the look of a fan made game in places, hopefully it comes together well, its the outsourced one of the two with the other being the high budget in house effort.

I can't help but be optimistic with Sonic games, even though they turn out crap more often than not.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Meh
  • A fan game?! Fuck off Sega.
  • I read an accompanying article that Sega have developed the game in conjunction with some companies that are responsible for some highly regarded 2D games.

360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Just read up a bit.
    That Whitehead guy I mentioned has worked with Sega before in creating the ios and Android ports of Sonic 1 & 2.

In 1 he added Tails and Knuckles.
    In 2 He added Tails' ability to carry Sonic seen in Sonic 3. Improved framerates, added animation frames to the bonus stage animations and even completed an old level that didnt make it into the original MD release but did have data on the card.
    Here is the level...
  • I would say it is a bit more than fan made. More collaborative with an Indie dev who in 2016 probably has more intimate knowledge of the older games than those at Sonic Team still have.
  • I'll play this Sonic fanthing, since it's exactly like the old ones that were good.

Enthusiast caretaking of sorry IPs is probably worth encouraging. Then people can come up with brand new IPs instead of trying to stuff old characters into places they don't fit. Like all the shit Sonic games, which is the vast majority of them by 2016.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    There's a WipEout HD Fury track (The Amphiseum; it's old) where you can boost through a hologram, and that's always seemed like the right fit for a new Sonic. A platforming version of WipEout, with sides to race up and jump off onto floating islands for boosts and whatnot; tricky shortcut gaps to gamble on. Like a massively accelerated Monkey Target.
  • An into-the-screen endless runner, like an updated version of the tunnel stages from Sonic 2 with a dash of Sonic R?  The on rails rail sections in SA2 were highlights of a poor game. 

It doesn't work as a 3D rollercoaster platformer, but it hasn't stopped Sonic Team using more or less the same template since 1998.
  • Escape wrote:
    There's a WipEout HD Fury track (The Amphiseum; it's old) where you can boost through a hologram, and that's always seemed like the right fit for a new Sonic. A platforming version of WipEout, with sides to race up and jump off onto floating islands for boosts and whatnot; tricky shortcut gaps to gamble on. Like a massively accelerated Monkey Target.

They'd really need to reduce his lateral movement in that kind of game.

Sonic in 3D is about as easy to control as a V8 ute covered in olive oil on an ice-covered skid pan.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Played and completed the original on MD yesterday after all this talk.

I feel people seem to be overly harsh on it and its 16Bit sequels now, maybe because of the intervening years not being kind to Sonic.

It's still a very good platformer imo. I always preferred it to 2 which I felt was a bit to easy even though it had more content.

I really should play Sonic CD.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I changed the thread title, since you are all ruining my Sonic 4 Episode II thread :)
  • I completed Sonic with all the Chaos Emeralds.  That was pretty tricky because those bonus zones were a bit of a lottery. 

The reward animation was underwhelming.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sega have at last realised that Sonic is a 2D side on game. Only took them 20-odd years. That on-rails level in Sonic Adventure 2 looked nice though - the whole game should have been like that instead of twitchy roam around sections and dicking about with chaos. 

And Sonic should have remained mute. 

And piss off to those extra characters. Maybe Tails but that's it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Robotnik, the Egg shaped robot that replaces Robotnick and Flickies.
    No more than that.

Yeah Sonic works best when limited to 2 axis of movement. No reason the camera can't spin around and Sonic move closer/further from the screen but control should be forward/back jump/duck.
  • The Lost World was a good idea for a 3D Sonic, unfortunately it just lacked any quality, was a shame I thought.

@Unlikely yep I thought the same thing, should have been more to the 'true ending'
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Am I right in saying the endings were as follows: 
    Spoiler:

Think that's how it went.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Am I right in saying the endings were as follows: 
    Spoiler:

Pretty much, although from Sonic 2
    Spoiler:

360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Am I right in saying the endings were as follows: 
    Spoiler:

Pretty much, only part you forgot was
    Spoiler:
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Ah.  Can't actually remember that but it's been about twenty five years so I'll forgive myself.
  • Bet you'd remember the Revenge of Shinobi ending in detail.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'll bet he can frame count that one
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • There are two endings - which one you get depends on whether you save the prisoner from being crushed by mad hair bastard.
  • I used to decide which ending I'd prefer to see on that play through and procrastinate if I wanted the Bad Ending.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    How on earth did you procrastinate before marunrum
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!