Sonic The Hedgehog
  • The bad ending in streets of rage 3 gave you a better final stage. Stupid Sega.
  • I finally gave up on any hope of any Sonic game being decent with Sonic 4 Ep 1 which showed they can't even do a worthwhile 2D escapade anymore.
  • monkey wrote:
    I finally gave up on any hope of any Sonic game being decent with Sonic 4 Ep 1 which showed they can't even do a worthwhile 2D escapade anymore.

Because they fucked his movement. This looks like it will be straight from the Mega Drive ones.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Just got an email from my machine vending people (long story, little venture I tried, still on their mailing list) stand by for a summer of Sonic, in toy vending machines near you all summer long

sonic-hedgehog-magnets-vending-capsules.jpg
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Who's the white/silver Sonic?

Hyper Sonic?

EDIT: It is Hyper Sonic apparently.
  • No, the silver Hedgehog is named *ahem* Silver.

He's from the atrocious 2006 game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I remember the whole Sonic buzz from the MD days - it was supposed to be everything Mario wasn't. That wasn't strictly true - the 1st fast world gave way to typical Mario fortress platforming in the 2nd world. Subsequent worlds featured that "half in control" feel which many seemed to enjoy and it's probably the Sonic hallmark.

It's easy to be unfair - Sonic's control was nowhere near the tight scheme that Mario had with its beautiful sense of inertia - so in that way it wasn't what Mario was either but that was nothing to necessarily shout about.

Sonic just didn't make the move to 3D that Mario did where precision was needed. On rails loose control was where Sonic was best and it should have moved to 3D utilising that. As a series it was nowhere near Mario in my mind. I can remember articles pitching Sonic 1 against SMW which was laughable then and even more so now. Sonic 1 has a job facing up to SMB1.

Nintendo really did make the move to 3D look easy but I didn't think they were that much better than Sega - clearly they were when it came to platform games.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Sonic Team made a decent stab at 'on rails loose control' with the first Sonic Adventure.  It was no Mario 64, but it wasn't trying to be.  It felt like they knew what they had to do with the move to 3D (back when Sega's dev teams put some degree of effort and care in), but narrowly missed the mark.  Subsequent efforts have muddied the memory of the original update attempt imo.  I thought it was a solid 8 at the time.
  • Pretty much Moot.

I think Davy is being harsh on Sonic there, Sonic wasn't trying to be Mario, they were very different types of platformers. Mario was very much a precision game, Sonic was much looser
  • Is this the bit were people pretend Sonic was never good to begin with?

The original trilogy & Knuckles was and always will be brilliant. Adventure 1&2 were quite good at the time (Big the Cat nonsense aside), they just haven't aged well. 

If Goldeneye 64 still gets love, so should Sonic Adventure.
  • Speed Highway was fantastic, probably Sonic's best in 3D.

Running down that skyscraper was utterly thrilling.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sonic on MD, particularly 1 and 2, are magnificent games among the best ever platformers. The gameplay is great but I particularly love the style of them. Still have 1 and 2 on cartridge and I've also got the Sonic compilation for Saturn which is a lovely collection. Have the Gamecube collection too.

I found Sonic Adventure on the beloved Dreamcast (got mine 2001) tedious after the promise of level 1. I just gave up out of sheer boredom roaming around. I found the control annoyingly twitchy even on level 1. Maybe if I had stuck at it I would have enjoyed it more but surely there's a problem if I gave up? Admittedly, my tastes are chronically linear when it comes to platformers.

I gave it another go when the Gamecube versions came out but it was the same result. But maybe it was too late then anyhow.
  • Nice video about how Sega have finally decided to give 'Taxman' and 'Stealth' based on their work in ROMhacks and porting.

• Princess Sally is the best Sonic character.
  • Also, Sonic is fucking rotten and has always been so.
  • OK, can one of you Sonic aficionados explain Sonic CD to me?

I really enjoyed the 8/16Bit games and always heard good things about this but after giving it a bit of time I just don't get it.

At least once in every zone I've found myself completely lost just bouncing around in an endless loop in a endless battle to go further right.

What's up with the past/future gimmick? I don't see no rhyme or reason to it.

I'm not a Sonic expert but I enjoyed and completed all the MS/MD games but this has be stumped, it looks the part but something feels off.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Sonic Jam has the most amazing collection of extras ever just to prove how much junk sonic is. I have elm and tempy over next month drinking and we are gonna watch them all. It's real hot trash
  • I don't think I've ever even tried it.  I remember desperately studying screenshots of the bonus stages as a kid, but it just passed me by.
  • Shame Sonic CD wasn't on Sonic Jam, I did all the extra bits and pieces in that.  The 3D extras/museum section looked decent.
  • Looks like I stumbled through more than I thought as I'm on the last Zone.

Really dissapointed tbh though, was hoping for it to be on par with the MD titles but I just don't feel it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The best thing about Sonic CD was on Jam tho. Namely the opening and ending cutscenes.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    The best thing about Sonic CD was on Jam tho. Namely the opening and ending cutscenes.

Yes. That fucking ending song
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sonic Jam is a good compilation. I recently upgraded to the JPN version which is entirely in English for some reason.
  • Weren't those PS2/GCN collections meant to be really good to? One even had the MS games on it I think, not 100% on that though.

Just finished CD seeing as I was that close to the end, generally really dissapointed. Looks amazing though.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Don't think I ever played CD. What did you play it on?
  • PS3. Picked it up a while ago from the PS Store.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Sonic Gems Collection was a'ight. And iirc it was the one with Sonic the Fighters on it which is worth a single evening of good merriment.
  • Yeah, I came to Sonic CD a few years ago and was really disappointed with it.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I still don't know who Bark the Polar Bear is except he's a beast.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!