Sonic The Hedgehog
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I've always been gutted I never got to play that Chaotix game. Apparently it was legit.
  • I was equally as confused with Sonic CD Retro.

My loose understanding is you need to complete the past versions to clear the future versions of each stage but doing this in a linear game is just confusing.
    Personally, I played it on Xbox 360. Gameplay wise it feels fine to me, certainly better than Sonic 2 on 360. It just makes no sense at its core.
  • Yeah, I came to Sonic CD a few years ago and was really disappointed with it.
    I was equally as confused with Sonic CD Retro.

Good to know I'm not alone. I'd love to read a review from back in the day for it.

Edit: Cheers @Liveinadive , so does that mean you have to complete it twice to complete the future versions? It was the past I completed it on... I think, it was the darker of the two.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • There's a 25th Anniversary Sonic thing in Retro Gamer this month.  Have I already mentioned this?  I've had it a few days.  It's quite good but not great, which is Retro Gamer in a nutshell.  And 'classic' Sonic games, lel.
  • Good to know I'm not alone. I'd love to read a review from back in the day for it.

This was the lowest in any Sega mags:

https://archive.org/stream/mean-machines-sega-magazine-13/MMSega_13_Nov_1993#page/n75/mode/2up
  • I Just read the "Into the Tardis" part on that list Mk (thanks BTW)

So the time travel was pointless, brilliant. No wonder I was confused, there is an entire gameplay gimmick in there for no reason.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    I've always been gutted I never got to play that Chaotix game. Apparently it was legit.

Not played that properly either.  Paid £179.99 for a launch 32X but didn't own Chaotix is a bit of a facepalmeme.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I think the lowdown was that Sonic CD was Sonic 1.5 as it started development before S2 but was kept going for the sole reason of having a Sonic game for the Mega CD.
  • I Just read the "Into the Tardis" part on that list Mk (thanks BTW)

So the time travel was pointless, brilliant. No wonder I was confused, there is an entire gameplay gimmick in there for no reason.

Sums it up really.

Nice one for that though @Moot_Geeza Mean Machines Sega was the one I wanted too.

Agree with Tom more than Rich in the comment sections.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:

Not played that properly either.  Paid £179.99 for a launch 32X but didn't own Chaotix is a bit of a facepalmeme.

I always wanted play that.
    I think that and the arcade game are the only ones not to feature on a Collection.

The Game Gear games were all on Sonic Gems Collection, I believe the MS games were all re-released on the Game Gear and would be the ones on that disc.
  • I quite liked the first two on Master System. The third, Chaos was shit though.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I only had Chaos and Triple Trouble.
    I don't remember them being especially good but I was far too young at the time to really give a proper analysis.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Paid £179.99 for a launch 32X but didn't own Chaotix is a bit of a facepalmeme.

Poor old Nigel.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Someone spent all his treasure.
  • I remember playing a Chaotix-esque Sonic game on an emulator that had the rings system, but just for Sonic and Tails? Was only a couple of half finished levels though. IIRC it was said to have been prototype code for Sonic 4 but maybe it was a fan thing?

EDIT: Found it! Was a prototype that turned into Chaotix. Huh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Crackers
  • I bumped into that myself after going down the rabbit hole of Sonic on Wikipedia to find out what Triple Trouble was that @Liveinadive mentioned. Was a Game Gear exclusive, of which there were far more than I knew.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Weren't those PS2/GCN collections meant to be really good to? One even had the MS games on it I think, not 100% on that though. Just finished CD seeing as I was that close to the end, generally really dissapointed. Looks amazing though.

Some were hit and miss - some didn't have 60Hz options.

I've the one with the 1st 4 MD games and a few others like Robotics Mean Bean Machine and Flicky for Gamecube. It runs at 60Hz OK
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Something that always frustrated me with the Sonic/MD collections I actually played was that they ever managed to get the Sonic 3 and Knuckles link up as a full title.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I had Chaotix. I enjoyed it and it was quite fun playing co-op. I think there were about 5 Acts per Zone so the levels weren't particularly distinctive and were quite easy. It's a shame it's kind of ended up as the lost Sonic game, it doesn't really deserve it.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Something that always frustrated me with the Sonic/MD collections I actually played was that they ever managed to get the Sonic 3 and Knuckles link up as a full title.

Yeah that's a must.

Sonic 3/Sonic & Knuckles is a weird game in that respect, it was like releasing an unfinished game and selling the second part later long before the term DLC existed. It was a novel idea but I think it short changed people in the long run and probably didn't help with franchise fatigue.

They're both great individually but feel a bit short, together they're possibly the best ever Sonic game.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • They were wrong making sonic 3d games speed based parkour. Fun at first but gets boring real quick. They should have followed mario's lead and gone for more open world level designs. His moveset should reflect navigating that world. The spindash, rolls and jumps are all fine, as are the loop de loops, just don't overdo it.

All platform games are based on inertia and momentum, Sonic is no exception and they should not ignore that. Last but not least, visual style in 3d should be cell shaded. The art style of the original md games was real important. they should try implementing that look in 3d.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • together they're possibly the best ever Sonic game.

I'd go with that.  Was the series high point for neat touches and minor gameplay gimmicks that worked (extra abilities on the shields, snowboarding, abseiling, monkey bars etc).
  • Yeah, Sonic 2 always seems to be crowned king but 3+k beats it for me. The bosses are really good as well, far better than the cheap joke that is the end of 2.
  • Sonic soundtrack beats everything. So many absolute classics.
  • The bosses are really good as well, far better than the cheap joke that is the end of 2.

Everyone hates this boss apart from me.
  • Haha. I think the lack of rings just adds too much of a difficulty spike late in a fairly long game considering a lack of save data.
  • I always preferred the original to 2 because of the latters length and ease.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Sonic soundtrack beats everything. So many absolute classics.

1 and 2 especially, some of the best of the whole era.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

The collection that was on 360 a few years ago definitely had Sonic 3 & Knuckles on it. Might have needed to be unlocked.

EDIT: Checking on Wikipedia it seems I'm wrong.

DOUBLE EDIT: You could play it if you had purchased the previous XBLA releases. Explains why I remember playing it on 360.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sonic Jam on Saturn has it. I must check to see if the GC collection I have features it too. Called Sonic Mega Collection.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!