Racist
  • That stuff runs so deep in some people's personality. It can be rooted out, but it takes concerted effort to do it.

I feel sorry for people that are so ignorant. They're missing out on so much variety and joy! Surely one of the best things in life is getting to know people from different places, cultures and backgrounds, learning from their experiences and filtering that into your world-view?

I don't get it, I really don't...
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • I've tasted the chocolate so I'll plus 1 Jim's recommendation folks. Find yourself a delotta
  • Shit, was that racist
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Holy Crackers Jaco/ Jim, that's quite insane. On the overall topic of racism, I worry that it becomes so ingrained with people that they can never change. I have an Uncle who is otherwise a genuine lovely fellow. Or so I thought. Then one day his daughter brought home a coloured boyfriend. Holy shit, did that provoke such a change. Even now, his daughter is 8 years with the guy, living together and they have a kid and my uncle cant accept the dad. He loves his granddaughter to bits but the poor dad can do nothing to change things (now to be fair, the dad is a bit of a 'geezer' to use his own words but my own dad assures me that the reaction would have been the same regardless of the guys character) Sad really but as I say, it seems so built in to some people that they cant let it go. Its always worse when you see this shit in people you thought were otherwise sensible
    It's the cock.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    It's a frustrating video to watch because the guy videoing is not helping, to the extent that he himself is effectively committing an offence.

They charged the victim with assaulting a police officer. And they'd have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for that meddling videographer.
  • Apparently the met police tasered their own race relations advisor (black guy) cause they mistook him for a wanted man. Oops. Dumbasses.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Page 9

*cough*
  • Escape wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    It's a frustrating video to watch because the guy videoing is not helping, to the extent that he himself is effectively committing an offence.
    They charged the victim with assaulting a police officer. And they'd have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for that meddling videographer.
    It's not the shooting of the video I have an issue with. People can take videos of whatever they want.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I find it puzzling that some people think that if the police suspect they are a wanted person that said person doesn't need to identify himself.

If Razor Mc Nasty, Mohammad B'header and Paddy O'Car Bomb are wanted by police and I was mistaken for one of them I think it right and proper I'd try to convince the cops otherwise.

And in a situation where Police might be under a bit of stress, having some amateur-rights tosser who has been educated on University of Youtube with a camera intervening directly or indirectly isn't helpful.

The heavy handedness of the Police is another matter entirely. And if police use mistaken identity as a means to harass then that's another matter again.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I've never been accused of being a terrorist or violent criminal and perhaps the most logic version of me would be compliant and bemused. However if I was working with the cops on race relations because i thought perhaps there is a problem with profiling. And perhaps if I was having a shite day I don't think I could promise to be entirely pleasant or compliant in that moment.
  • @davyk - I'd agree as long as production of a legit id closes the matter and is followed by a courtesy apology (i dont mean for the police to be full on apologetic, i mean as the same you might get in a shop if someone causes a small mistake)

Also, i dont think those names are on the up qnd up. Mohammad b'header maybe.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Also, i dont think those names are on the up qnd up. Mohammad b'header maybe.

Wanted to make sure I was giving everyone a touch.  :)

I can remember Wifey and I being tailed through Sandringham when we visited it during the 90s. Even though we were used to security presence we did find it extremely annoying to be picked out purely on the accent. Understandable but irritating nonetheless.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    As stated earlier, when in theatre we had clearly defined rules of engagement, in Ireland the yellow card basically prohibited any pre emptive action at all. Those rules defined the situation as not protecting people but taking vengeance on those that has already hurt someone and might hurt more people

So my question is, do the police have a yellow card? If not why not?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I find it puzzling that some people think that if the police suspect they are a wanted person that said person doesn't need to identify himself.

Some amateur-rights tosser who has been educated on University of Youtube

I know the latter looks that way, but it's the University of Victimisation in that area. As for giving your name, the police have already failed at that point. Because you're gonna lie if you're actually wanted, and if not, it's another routine harassment; hence the guy's testy reaction. The onus is on the police to establish a probable ID, not just target the first rando on the street like a lost driver.

There are loads of drugs around that way, and it seems to me that their police are full of careerists trying to catch a dealer. When that's all you see them doing, at the expense of looking into stuff like a spate of break-ins in the same carpark, you can appreciate why the locals don't respect them. If drugs were legalised, they'd suddenly have lots of time to follow-up other crimes. Even those Bristolians who don't agree with legalisation tend to agree that our police overprioritise drugs to the detriment of their service.

RedDave2 wrote:
    followed by a courtesy apology

Yeah, I think you'll be waiting a while.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    As stated earlier, when in theatre we had clearly defined rules of engagement, in Ireland the yellow card basically prohibited any pre emptive action at all. Those rules defined the situation as not protecting people but taking vengeance on those that has already hurt someone and might hurt more people

So my question is, do the police have a yellow card? If not why not?

The yellow card is "Stop or I will taser you!" I would have thought.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    In this case it was a clear pelanty for the victim.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Nah, play acting. Should get a retrospective ban.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    I find it puzzling that some people think that if the police suspect they are a wanted person that said person doesn't need to identify himself. Some amateur-rights tosser who has been educated on University of Youtube
    I know the latter looks that way, but it's the University of Victimisation in that area. As for giving your name, the police have already failed at that point. Because you're gonna lie if you're actually wanted, and if not, it's another routine harassment; hence the guy's testy reaction. The onus is on the police to establish a probable ID, not just target the first rando on the street like a lost driver.

No problem with that. As I said..
    davyK wrote:
    The heavy handedness of the Police is another matter entirely. And if police use mistaken identity as a means to harass then that's another matter again.

But Jesus - the cops have to check out someone if they believe him/her to be suss. Genuinely of course.
  • Apologies, I said I wouldn't join in this conversation, but I have to seek a bit of clarification.

Escape wrote:
    As for giving your name, the police have already failed at that point. Because you're gonna lie if you're actually wanted, and if not, it's another routine harassment;
    This is not the case. While I'm baffled by the suggestion that the police have 'failed' if they ask someone's name (I'm interested to know what resources you think the Police have that would make this even possible) it might interest you to know that no, not everyone lies about who they are, not by a long shot. I'm also interested in the idea that to ask someone who they are is harassment.

Escape wrote:
    The onus is on the police to establish a probable ID, not just target the first rando on the street like a lost driver.
    Do we know that this is what happened here? Do we know that the wanted person is so unlike the man in the video, that it's unreasonable for the Police to have thought it was him?

Escape wrote:
    There are loads of drugs around that way, and it seems to me that their police are full of careerists trying to catch a dealer. When that's all you see them doing, at the expense of looking into stuff like a spate of break-ins in the same carpark, you can appreciate why the locals don't respect them.
    I don't know how the Police in your area operate, but it must be wildly different to here. The Police don't have the luxury of choosing not to investigate crime they don't feel like investigating. Yes, you get the odd career-minded cop who focuses on drugs (although that's limited to those aiming at CID, which is only a fraction of them) but an entire shift or team can't pick and choose their jobs, let alone a whole station. It's worth noting, though, that if you're talking about the extra steps needed (routine directed patrols, maybe even surveillance on the car park) requires staffing levels that no longer exist, or funding that is no longer there. The current policing picture nationwide is reactive firefighting.

Escape wrote:
    If drugs were legalised, they'd suddenly have lots of time to follow-up other crimes. Even those Bristolians who don't agree with legalisation tend to agree that our police overprioritise drugs to the detriment of their service.
    While I'd be surprised if the first sentence is genuinely the case, for the reasons above, Bristolians are at least amongst the most forward thinking in the country; everywhere else I'm aware of, the public want their Police to make drugs one of their priorities (despite the fact that it always has been and always will be a losing battle).
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    The current policing picture nationwide is reactive firefighting.

Exactly that.

But the thing is, if you see cops in St Pauls, Easton, Lawrence Hill (the other one) or many other places, you can bet with high odds that they're after a dealer. And one of the problems is that they often rely on reports from outsiders, so yeah, in this game of whack-a-dealer they might have to ask you who you are. Beyond the occasional (and polite) request, this is obviously horrible for locals whose only crime, in their own perception, is their ethnicity.

It's canvassing for grasses. I know where several dealers meet, but there's no way I'm passing that info on. If you happen to live near one of those spots then it's a nasty old business, but it's likely that you won't have the full picture when it comes to reporting it, and that's where the trouble can start. I'd want rid of addicts and needles from my corner, too, but I think legalisation's the only reliable, effective plan.

In my experience, areas with drug problems divide the majority of residents firmly into pro- and anti-legalisation groups, with — again in my experience — the pros making up the larger camp; nationally, of course, the opposite's true. Those against are often our punishment-minded empathy-lackers, which is fine — free speech an' all, but I think that their approach is increasingly being shown to fail.

But a large enough number of people in this country are unaffected, so it's yet to become a democratic proposition. I don't know if Corbyn agrees with me, but it's probably another anti-Trident right now.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/11/stormzy-lukaku-n-word-irish-herald

The suspended MP is a total fucking arse. Bet you that language is common amongst a fair contingent of Tories.

As for Emile Heskey, I don't know why he's taken offence...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Only other time I heard that woodpile comment was from a guy who used to work in our place. Retired now- he was from a different era. Used to wince a bit at some of his turns of phrase in meetings. Was an absolute gent otherwise - that's probably hard to believe but he really was - I don't think he realised what he was saying or the impact it had.
  • That's the line of thinking that normalises it though. When's the cut off point between "from a different time" and "racist hiding behind the term 'from a different time'"?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    That's the line of thinking that normalises it though. When's the cut off point between "from a different time" and "racist hiding behind the term 'from a different time'"?

I know. Chances are he was/is racist. I don't honestly think he was malign - he certainly got on well with plenty of black people when we worked in London etc. I suspect people of earlier times are racist to a certain extent. There were African kids in a Belgian "zoo" in the 50s.

https://popularresistance.org/deep-racism-the-forgotten-history-of-human-zoos/
  • davyK wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    That's the line of thinking that normalises it though. When's the cut off point between "from a different time" and "racist hiding behind the term 'from a different time'"?

I know. Chances are he was/is racist. I suspect people of earlier times are. There were African kids in a Belgian zoo in the 50s.

https://popularresistance.org/deep-racism-the-forgotten-history-of-human-zoos/

Well fuck me. Just when I think nothing surprises me anymore... BOOM! A vintage bear and badger fact attack. That really is unbelievable.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    More of an exhibition than a zoo - but yeah - hard to believe.
  • https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jul/17/is-love-racist-the-tv-show-laying-our-biases-bare

Interesting article on partner choice and beauty ideals across racial identity.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • It is an interesting subject.
    If you want to watch a show about it that isn't trashy Master of None Season 2 has a great episode on Tinder dating as a minority.
    My mate who is of Indian back ground said it absolutely nailed his experiences.

I think one thing worth noting, the nature of apps like Tinder is that they tend to bring the worst assumptions out. Beyond physicality there is normally very little information to go off and an encouragement to swipe and move on as quick as possible.
    With the best intentions in the world our minds will make assumptions about the person. Could be a racial stereotype, could be they remind you of a friend/ex/colleague, either way you project an idea of that person on to merely a picture and you do it in the time it takes to move your thumb an inch.

So are dating apps racist? Only as much as the user or at a greater view, society.

Is Love Racist? No I don't think so but I don't believe Tinder is a strong representative of what love is.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I wanna know what love is.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!