Racist
  • https://twitter.com/drcwatego/status/1384418419743723520?s=19

Cops in kindergarten, what could go wrong.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Sounds like the plot to that wacky 90s action comedy.

Stop or my Mom will Shoot
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Sounds like the plot to that wacky 90s action comedy. Stop or my Mom will Shoot

Shoot or my Mom will.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I shot on Wil's mum - Picard
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Wtf, bad idea.
    Also, diagnosing 4yo kids with shit like that is fucking retarded.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I'm still great and you still love it.
  • https://twitter.com/blackleftaf/status/1384633824328433664?s=19

Christ. The bad takes just keep flying.
  • I mean that sort of is what Twitter is for, but yeah. Pelosi's statement is basically senile.
  • What the rusty fuck was that supposed to be? Pelosi trying to gaslight the entirety of black America?
  • Sky News coming in with some mad typos. How do they not pick up on this shit?

Screenshot-20210421-085534-com-google-android-apps-magazines.jpg
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Race to get the article published and your push notification out to app users before your rivals.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Letting people become writers even if they cannot spell, because you know equality

Fuck it, I'm gonna start identifying as PL footballer
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I'm actually impressed that he got done on all counts. 

One lefty commentator said it well when he said that the "hope" everyone felt that a cop, who killed a suspect, filmed from multiple angles in front of a crowd of people, while the suspect complained they couldn't breathe, would be found guilty on all charges is indicative of the work that still needs to be done to prevent police from being to act like they do and get away with it. 

I have enjoyed typical responses from people like Shapiro, I'm sure Tim Pool and Crowder are going to be putting out some top quality bullshit over the next few days. 

Nancy Pelosi needs to stop taking whatever drug made her think she should thank a black man for dying so that they could end police brutality and racism, holy fuck. Michael Spicer will at least get a viral video out of it.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Letting people become writers even if they cannot spell, because you know equality

Fuck it, I'm gonna start identifying as PL footballer

Looks more like autocorrect than spelling to me, so glass houses and all that.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Oh I know my spelling appears terrible as I don't proofread anything, I should just turn autocomplete off really. I'm not a professional writer, I do however proofread my code
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    On topic though, the thing I don't understand is how does he get charged with two counts of murder and one of manslaughter, when there's only one death. Is this some weird American thing where you get all lower classes of your crime as well, so they avoid a fresh prosecution if higher class is overturned on appeal?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    I think they need to consider them individually because of appeals and what not. If he appeals and wins against the worst murbut der offence he gets off scot free if they don’t have other guilty verdicts. But I don’t know what differences there are between the offences.

That does make a bit more sense alright. I'm sure he will appeal unfortunately.

The second degree one is about the fact he assaulted Floyd, the third is about endangering lives and the manslaughter one is about intent There's some differentials between them. The jury basically said he did all three.

From the US politics thread.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Ah, cheers Goobs, I should maybe read more threads
  • I'm not sure reg is right on that. Manslaughter implies no intent - either its accidentally or it is done in the heat of the moment but still accidental. So maybe you punch a guy to hurt him, but end up killing him. Second degree means intent but not necessarily planned - so you shot the guy in the head to kill him but you didn't plan to do it. 3rd degree seems to be a blurry mix of second degree and manslaughter from what I've been able to find. I could be wrong.

The idea that it's to prevent him getting off Scott free if he successful appeals the second degree charge makes more sense to me.
    SFV - reddave360
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I don't know American law, but I get what you mean. If I were to guess

Manslaughter - death occurred due to his actions despite there being no premeditation or intent to kill
    3rd Degree - his actions (choke) clearly endangered life, and he should have been aware of risk
    2nd Degree - he assaulted the bloke, was not acting in defence of self or others, so was the instigator
  • Facewon wrote:

Yes, a douche. But I kinda agree with him. A trial is supposed to be starting from an impartial base but I don't think that's possible with a high profile case, especially when the video has been viewed so much. I think a big problem is how the story is reported and unfolded from the start. I hate the media sensationalapproach to this kind of reporting. I'm not sure if that's the point old Sam is trying to make but when media (social or mainstream) gets a hold of something like this I don't think a fair view of anything is possible. Media ramps up the emotion of the case to generate views and clicks, regardless of truth. Guesswork and rumour mix freely with actual facts. Videos get replayed and analysed from both sides so much but it's not done to get tobthe truth of the matter - its done to keep us watching.

After the verdict I did a bit of random searching and the amount of detail and guesswork being thrown out was unreal. There was detailed breakdown of the jury. And that's just the coverage during the trial. Leading up to the trial there has been rethoric from both sides which creates a huge range of narratives - some fair, some exaggerated and some widely swinging away from anything with truth (in this case mostly from the right wing side)

Sam's mistake is that at least in this case , justice looks to have been done. He might be better served finding a case where despite the actual evidence, that the circus around the case caused the wrong result.
    SFV - reddave360
  • cockbeard wrote:
    I don't know American law, but I get what you mean. If I were to guess

Manslaughter - death occurred due to his actions despite there being no premeditation or intent to kill
    3rd Degree - his actions (choke) clearly endangered life, and he should have been aware of risk
    2nd Degree - he assaulted the bloke, was not acting in defence of self or others, so was the instigator

I think second degree still needs an intent to kill. The cop was choking Floyd with the intent of killing him at that moment. The difference between that and first degree is if he had planned to do this the moment he saw Floyd.
    SFV - reddave360
  • The thing that doesn’t make sense is that I think it would be a fair assumption that most people thought he was going to get away with it.

So perhaps based on the evidence and cases presented the jury had no decision but to convict. You can’t look at the result and then retrospectively declare it was definitely going to happen that way.
  • There is definitely an issue with finding an unbiased jury in high profile cases.

I think the defense did a good job in closing statements by reiterating the facts heard in the courtroom and reminding the jury that this was not a trial of the police vs black people but of the murder of Floyd by Chauvin.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    Yes, a douche. But I kinda agree with him. A trial is supposed to be starting from an impartial base but I don't think that's possible with a high profile case, especially when the video has been viewed so much. I think a big problem is how the story is reported and unfolded from the start. I hate the media sensationalapproach to this kind of reporting. I'm not sure if that's the point old Sam is trying to make but when media (social or mainstream) gets a hold of something like this I don't think a fair view of anything is possible. Media ramps up the emotion of the case to generate views and clicks, regardless of truth. Guesswork and rumour mix freely with actual facts. Videos get replayed and analysed from both sides so much but it's not done to get tobthe truth of the matter - its done to keep us watching. After the verdict I did a bit of random searching and the amount of detail and guesswork being thrown out was unreal. There was detailed breakdown of the jury. And that's just the coverage during the trial. Leading up to the trial there has been rethoric from both sides which creates a huge range of narratives - some fair, some exaggerated and some widely swinging away from anything with truth (in this case mostly from the right wing side) Sam's mistake is that at least in this case , justice looks to have been done. He might be better served finding a case where despite the actual evidence, that the circus around the case caused the wrong result.

On the other hand, without the protests this sparked and the media attention on those, would this have reached a courtroom in the first place?
  • Right to a fair trail versus right to free speech does collide in the states, it's not like this is the first time a case has been played out on-line and in the media before and during a trial. Most of the people tried in these circumstances are not cops.

I wouldn't say I was confident about a conviction, but the length of time involved did seem to remove the qualified immunity defence that normally lets cops off with killing someone. I think people are going to be disappointed in the future when that resurfaces in police shootings.
  • @yoss - yeah, thats a good point. Like I say, I think there is something to what Sam is saying (or that I think he is trying to say) but I think he has picked the wrong case.

But even with that said - we can have the video released, we can have the protests etc that leads to a courtroom case but I think there is no doubt that media is so prevalent and so focused on getting views that it is also about keeping the viewer engaged and creating a compulsive narrative.
    SFV - reddave360
  • 6vK8KVq.jpg
  • Facewon wrote:
    6vK8KVq.jpg

Play the ball, not the man Face. If I'm thinking the twitter post as I think its meant to be intended, then it doesnt matter if it came from Harris. 

If Trump started saying climate change is real and we need wholesale change, I wouldnt argue the comment just because it came from Trump.
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!