Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Wow! The turn's on me!

I don't have a girlfriend. Or a hot 'tache.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Grow one

Get the girl
  • Is this thread redundant now that the report shows there's no racism in the UK?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Wait, whut?? Did I leave the UK?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Is this thread redundant now that the report shows there's no racism in the UK?

I know Griff is poking fun, but sadly I can see a whooooole lot of white people feeling like they don't have to change or adjust anything because they've been told actually they aren't racist. They can now ignore everything that has gone on with police brutality, treatment of non-white people etc because 'it's all right really, bunch of moaners! It's all their own fault the government said so!'
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Is this thread redundant now that the report shows there's no racism in the UK?

I know Griff is poking fun, but sadly I can see a whooooole lot of white people feeling like they don't have to change or adjust anything because they've been told actually they aren't racist. They can now ignore everything that has gone on with police brutality, treatment of non-white people etc because 'it's all right really, bunch of moaners! It's all their own fault the government said so!'

Agreed, the report treats the issue as if it is black and white when actually it is more nuanced.
  • This’ll be controversial but I do think that Britain is probably one of the least racist and violent places on Earth. That doesn’t mean there won’t be large amounts but I do think there’s a little bit of throwing the baby out with the bathwater with some of the criticism.

This place has worked to get a lot better since even the seventies imo.

We have this Bame work forum at work and the only people who interact with it are white people. It’s kind of hilarious when you think about it.

I do think we need to continue to be vigilant and bat back any situations which are obviously bad because it’s very easy to be complacent (and maybe that’s the biggest risk with this report) but I do think we have an overall culture that looks at racism as a bad thing which i don’t think is a given in any society.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I don't think that's controversial at all crayon, you're right, it is. But that didn't make it perfect, however the utopia being chased by some is a myth, and runs contrary to our genetics and instincts, didn't mean we can't right those instincts harder, and didn't mean we've ever "completed it mate"
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • The problem is that this report was supposed to look at structural racism, and was run by people who have a track record of denying that structural racism is a problem. They aren't denying racism exists, but they're effectively saying there's no need to dig into the deeper structures of society looking for it.

Instead we're supposedly left questioning people's cultures, as if structural racism has no role in cultural differences, as if it couldn't affect different cultures in different ways.

This report is there to serve an ideological purpose. Even if some of its points would be shared by more legitimate research, it should still be rejected entirely.
  • Thank you for articulating that Jon. It’s been bothering me that I didn’t have the language / capability of expressing that there is a place for any race report on the UK to point out improvements and comparisons, whilst clearly maintaining the existence of structural, institutional racism and bigotry throughout all levels of our society. It doesn’t have to be either: we’re fine / or: we’re a racist disaster.

That said the incredibly condescending tone of the report, the victim blaming, the astonishing throwaway defence of slavery- even if it did address and acknowledge institutional racism it should still be rejected for those alone
  • If Britain is racist, how come black people live in it?

Checkmate loony left.
  • If Britain is racist, how come black people live in it?

Checkmate loony left.

I'm not sure that's entirely fair. From a country outside looking in, I think Britain does have a pretty strong mix of different cultures running through it. That doesn't mean it doesn't have racism or systemic racism but my experience of the UK has been one where colour wasn't a huge issue.

Yes, I'm not silly enough to say my limited experience covers all but whether it was visiting friends or relatives or just going over to see Newcastle during the Robson era, I didn't see the same type of segregation I saw when I went to milwaukee for example.

In fact my only experience of someone being racist was my Irish uncle (who has lived in the UK since he was about 20) kicking off when his daughter started dating a black man. He has a lovely granddaughter now of mixed race (I hate that term so please feel free to correct me if there is a more appropriate one) whom he loves bit he still has issues with the dad.

So while the report may be junk, I think given how obviously difficult this kind of integration if cultures and races etc is, the UK probably isn't too bad. Still long way to go but I'd wager Ireland is a good 10 to 15 years behind in terms of that type of cultural mix

SFV - reddave360
  • Conservatives confirm everything just fine exactly as it is. Shocker.
  • If there's room for improvement, more flags ought to do it
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't think Ireland can really talk about racism regarding blacks, Asians, etc. I don't think any country can really dig into the concept of racism until you have a generation or two of well established ethnic minorities who are as much locals as anyone else. Ireland doesn't really have that yet, it's too new. A knee jerk reaction to an influx of foreigners is normal, really. But Ireland can talk about racism regarding its travelling community, who are as Irish as anyone else. That racism is totally ingrained into society and Irish people, including myself. While I recognise it's totally racist, I don't know how you would convince me not cross the road when I see travellers coming. That reaction is ingrained into me and everyone I know to a greater or lesser degree.
  • The slavery shit in the report is the most Johnson colonialist thing going.
    Don't be fooled into thinking it is there to tell black people to be grateful, it is there to tell white people that black people should be grateful.
  • I don't really doubt that Britain is one of the best examples of multiculturalism there is, and is in many ways less racist than most other countries.

But that doesn't mean it doesn't still have major issues with racism. Plus right now there's an ideological division between a movement looking to undo a lot of the good work and another trying to take the next step forward. The government and those ideologically aligned with it are in danger of taking us backwards, and this report exists because of that division, as an attempt to legitimise that conservative/regressive thinking.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    I don't think Ireland can really talk about racism regarding blacks, Asians, etc. I don't think any country can really dig into the concept of racism until you have a generation or two of well established ethnic minorities who are as much locals as anyone else. Ireland doesn't really have that yet, it's too new. A knee jerk reaction to an influx of foreigners is normal, really. But Ireland can talk about racism regarding its travelling community, who are as Irish as anyone else. That racism is totally ingrained into society and Irish people, including myself. While I recognise it's totally racist, I don't know how you would convince me not cross the road when I see travellers coming. That reaction is ingrained into me and everyone I know to a greater or lesser degree.

What I will tell you about the North is that as far as I'm concerned - it's a racist hole. The loyalist side of the community - particularly the paramilitary element has close links with Combat 18 etc and have intimidated people from out of their homes via so-called "shows of strength" because where they are perceived to have come from.  I've seen the graffitti talking about local homes for locals etc.

Plenty of examples of daubings on houses and smashed windows in loyalist areas of the homes of Polish, Chinese etc.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't know if that's racism really. Bigotry definitely. Potato potahto I guess.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Or did you mean against immigrants etc? I suppose Combat 18 is about that kind of thing. I don't know anything about it. Thought they'd be busy with sectarianism.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah....meant immigrants.

There's no limit to these cunts that we have to put up with over here. Nothing is beneath them.

There was a big anti-Polish thing with them a while back. The cunts claim to know their history - it's a pity they didn't know about the Polish air force who protected Belfast during the WW2 Blitz.   One Polish pilot, out of ammo, crashed his fighter plane into a bomber to prevent it dropping its payload.

And we now have local low-lives claiming to be loyal to the crown, droning on about tradition and flags, terrorising Polish immigrants in their homes under the cover of darkness.  Cowardly, bigoted little excuses for men. There are no words sufficient to express my disdain and shame.

The cops know who they are. Tell you what....Putin would clean this town up in 6 weeks.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ach. I know. Just pretty pissed off at the mo.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    No institutionalised racism.

• That's fucking awful.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I had to stop watching that. I can't face having impotent anger today. Fuck it all.
  • https://twitter.com/MatteoTiratelli/status/1378640722933514243?s=19

Bunch of folks cited in that report aren't happy.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/apr/20/the-invention-of-whiteness-long-history-dangerous-idea

Racism as a form of divide and conquer, a political weapon to wield to uphold the (post colonial?) social status quo. Who would've thunk?
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!