Is Edge Dead Yet?
  • Is there a credit for the screenshots? Wondering if it's Duncan Harris (DeadEndThrills) who is currently being praised for his work in the Bitmap Brothers this week.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Re: GamesTM and Edge, Future were given the go ahead for their acquisition of GamesTM's publisher just a few weeks ago (the only condition is that they have to ring-fence one of their sci-fi magazines and sell it). Given that Edge and GamesTM are basically in direct competition, it now seems to be widely anticipated that Future will shutdown GamesTM but nothing has been confirmed yet.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Duncan Harris isn't on The List Tempy.
  • Escape wrote:
    Retro Gamer's articles are largely filler; you read them and realise you've read nothing.

I subscribe and I enjoy it more than other modern game mags, but unfortunately this is spot on.
  • I managed to get a letter printed in GamesTM 4 months in a row. For that reason I never really regarded it as high brow as edge lol
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    But then I provided some of the screenshots for Edge's Minecraft review and I wasn't on The List either, so WHO KNOWS?!?!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Escape wrote:
    Retro Gamer's articles are largely filler; you read them and realise you've read nothing.
    I subscribe and I enjoy it more than other modern game mags, but unfortunately this is spot on.

Agreed. I'm a subber too but I intend to hit it on the head along with a couple of other subs I have (T3 and Which).
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Sometimes it's just nice to be reminded of things though.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Is there a credit for the screenshots? Wondering if it's Duncan Harris (DeadEndThrills) who is currently being praised for his work in the Bitmap Brothers this week.

That mag's from 2002. But I've checked, and he's not credited, no. They took their own Computer Space photos of Archer Maclean's cab, for example, showing its control panel and PCBs in then-unprecedented detail. There's another photo of the insides of Maclean's Twilight Zone pinny; another of his old workshop. It's good stuff.

An opening feature on the early days of eBaying games from Japan to the US and Europe. Apparently the Japanese weren't keen on trading with us, so there was a market for us there as exporters.

I spoke to someone a while ago about the legal issues of publishing photos. If not laziness, that's why Retro Gamer always run that PlayStation with the green memory card - they've clearance on it.

Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Sometimes it's just nice to be reminded of things though.

It's annoying how often guys like the Pickfords show up (because they're friendly with Darran), when hardly anyone bought their games. Minter and Perry...

But they've never interviewed someone like Ben Heck. I asked them about Shaun Southern years ago, but it seems they couldn't be arsed.
  • Escape wrote:
    I spoke to someone a while ago about the legal issues of publishing photos, which is why Retro Gamer always use that PlayStation with the green memory card, I guess - they've clearance on it.

Can you explain this please?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Well, this guy was talking about capturing sporting events, and how clearance from the subject isn't always enough. If you take a photo of a footballer but capture advertising hoardings in the background, say, you might get stung for publishing that photo if you only have the footballer's permission.

Retro Gamer always use the same PS1 photo, so I'm guessing they can't just grab another one online for a change. I imagine you could photograph your own console. Maybe.
  • I need to give Mario 64 another go I think. But my last play suggested it has not held up as a game for me.

Firstly as a platform game it is okay. The spaces are not really that interesting to jump around in. The other mechanisms for movement (swimming and flying) are not that great either.

While there are wide and long spaces in 64 it feels like giant squares with just a lot of gimmicks flopped in to make the game last longer. The things that reall stick are collecting 100 coins anywhere and then also collecting all the red coins. (Were they separate tasks?). The lava level epitomises the bitty nature.

I much prefer the last couple of Mario games with their emphasis on traversing spaces and the focus: a to b (via xyz if you wish). It means each space has a proper point rather than a space which fits one star properly and then -what else shall we do with this area because we only have room for eight levels - type affair.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    As with all criticism it's a dangerous thing to snapshot a quote within a bubble - it's very easy to make any of us look daft as a brush with that. Same courtesy extends to the video games people - they're still humans trying to predict trends. For that reason I have a real disinterest in digging through the old edges beyond sheer curiously value. Point scoring becomes so easy it's not even worth anything
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Y'what?! I'm reflecting on the fairly universal lol-wrong of the times, not anyone in particular. Happens to be Edge in this case, aye, but only 'cause that's what I've dug out. Just a bit of fun to look back on.

Like how they mentioned Mario 64's moderate scale by '96 standards. That's an interesting timepiece to slot in to the ongoing archive, knowing what we now know about Nintendo's ‘future’ approach. If you argue for one of the Galaxies, that's still getting on for ten years ago. Have minds been boggled?

I'm still missing OG Lara.
  • Escape wrote:
    Well, this guy was talking about capturing sporting events, and how clearance from the subject isn't always enough. If you take a photo of a footballer but capture advertising hoardings in the background, say, you might get stung for publishing that photo if you only have the footballer's permission.

Retro Gamer always use the same PS1 photo, so I'm guessing they can't just grab another one online for a change. I imagine you could photograph your own console. Maybe.
    They will likely use the same photo because Retro Gamer have no money, and they don't want to pay someone for another picture.

Are you talking about a professional capacity I'm the first bit? Because you don't need the players permission for that, you just need a press pass.
  • New Edge through the post today, issue 300 which cover I nearly threw up over but soon realised it was based on issue 1 which in retrospect is a nice touch.

Some good stuff in there too, Nintendo Switch, Sony VR game reviews (majority of which reviewed very well, surprisingly) and the best games in EDGE history in which devs pick their favourite game since 1993.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    Saying that, I'm rereading... 2002-Edge-Retro-Magazine-Vintage-Computer-Game-Articles.jpg And it shits all over Retro Gamer. They sourced their own photos - good ones - and went into a lot more detail. Retro Gamer's articles are largely filler; you read them and realise you've read nothing.

Wow, I have that buried somewhere back in the family home. Must have read it a dozen times. In fact, I have a large collection of Edge issues back there, I must dig them out sometime. There are good times and memories buried within.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    devs pick their favourite game since 1993.

I'll have to pick this one up. Support Edge on this occasion for all the years they housed us.
  • DtBzLZU.jpg    HkIVmTh.jpg
  • I'd have stuck 3DO on the end for a laugh.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Shame that they didn't save the PSVR image from 299 to use on 300 to extend the simularity with Issue 1.
  • Should have written 5.50 in words like when it was three quid.
    [2]
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    What's their take on FF?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    McBusted.

PSVR how the heave machine shakes up in real life
  • I have no memory of Edge being a predominantly 16Bit gen magazine.

Would be interested to see the first few issues and how they reviewed games of the day.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • In issue 1 (and maybe E2) they reviewed games, then had a short time extend of the same game at the back of the magazine. Not sure why.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Well they gave Gunstar Heroes a [6] which was obviously a massive fuck up. 

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/ghedge.htm

It's not very well written either really.
  • They gave Street Fighter 3 a 6 as well. I think.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Eric wrote:
    Well they gave Gunstar Heroes a [6] which was obviously a massive fuck up. 

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/ghedge.htm

It's not very well written either really.

Fairly sure they said the game only had 4/5 levels, hence the lower score.

If only they'd carried on playing for a bit longer.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    What's their take on FF?

I've not read any of that yet but someone else has:  

"The creative pressures and arguments that have coloured Final Fantasy XV's development are most evident in the second half, where it almost switches genre, away from the open world design of the The Witcher 3, which was an influence on the current team, to a much more traditional linear series of cutscenes and dungeons. Late in the game, a network of cramped corridors, stockrooms and baffling barracks feels like a hangover from another game entirely. Here, Noctis, working alone, must duck into doorways in order to hide from the stalking, haunted guards. The stealth is delivered in a horror style, complete with jump scares, a disembodied, Joker-like voiceover, and Resident Evil-style key-card puzzles."

Sounds like a bit of a mash up.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!