regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Trying not to get worst and most disappointing mixed up, myself. Will have a think and post later.
    Yep. A certain Nintendo fox might be on my list with the latter.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    How you separate bad and disappointing? It's all filed under generally bad in my book.
  • Well NMS disappointed me in the end, but I certainly wouldn't put it in the worst games I've played this year list. It's still good. Blame Reg ok!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I don't think GwG or PS+ games should be counted, just include games you actually went out and bought. Or stayed in and downloaded.

I realise that puts my baby NMS in the firing line of a lot of you easily hyped haters, but so be it.

Yeah, but they will if they came out this year. I stayed home and downloaded them innit.

I got Rocket League last year on PS Plus- imagine the uproar if people hadn't been able to vote for it on goty

Aye, but championing a free game feels better than looking a gift horse in the mouth.

There's a boat load of games people will try because they're free but wouldn't have looked twice at otherwise, I can see them stealing a lot of the limelight.
  • The gradual death of truly bad games saddens me.  The young'uns don't know how good they've got it.  They don't know the pain of swapping Alex Kidd in Hi Tech World for Heroes of the Lance.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message

Aye, but championing a free game feels better than looking a gift horse in the mouth.

To you. This is the scorched earth narrative thread

GENUINE question no troll here - would you then say Pokémon Go couldn't count coz it was free?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    How you separate bad and disappointing? It's all filed under generally bad in my book.

Find myself agreeing with Kow far too often for it to be coincidence. Sleep deprivation perhaps.

Imagine it's quite difficult to buy a truly awful game.  Disappointment is harder to avoid if you've set expectations and a more reasonable barometer to measure what constitutes a shite experience. 

Lame game of the year?

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Cool. I'm not voting yet. But...

In all likelihood, and unless something spectacularly bad comes along, my top (bottom?) place will probably go to Virginia. I've written in the past (and received criticism for it) that there are games that I don't think people have honestly enjoyed, but will say that they have because they think they ought to. Rarely has a game and its reaction so clearly sat in this category. The Eurogamer review clinched it, with a reasoning so contrived and contorted, the author made a complete and utter fool of himself. This game is perfect proof that the art of the surreal is more complex than just slapping nonsensical imagery together and hoping for the best. As I said at the time, a metaphor needs to be a metaphor for something, a symbol without meaning is not a symbol. As I also said ST the time, there's a fine line between bravery and stupidity, and Virginia was not a bra ever work to be applauded, it was a stupid waste of everyone's time, and should be condemned.

Elsewhere, two potential contenders, but I'm not sure yet about whether to include them, are Oxenfree and TrackMania Turbo.

The former has a broken (yes, it is broken) dialogue system which may, if we are being more generous than is deserved, be intended to mimic real life conversation, but which doesn't. It also has poor subtitle options; all on, or all off, both are annoying and spoil the gameplay. The result is a jarring mess that makes a plot-driven game too frustrating to enjoy. All that said, I'm inclined to try to see it through before committing points to it.

The latter is a difficult one. Developers Nadeo, rather remarkably, don't seem to understand what's attractive about their own game. Rather than concentrating on exhilarating track design, they have decided to test skill by putting cars on surfaces totally unsuitable for their handling model. It's a criminal decision for which they deserve a swift kick in the testicles. BUT there is still fun to be had here. For all that No Man's Sky has had a hard time for not being what people thought it would be, TMT is a betrayal of its own unique selling point.

I'd also like to stick in an honourable mention for BroForce, which is disqualified due to Reg's stupid rules. It's a game for people who enjoy reading Zoo or Nuts, presumably while silently mouthing the words as they follow them on the page with their finger.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

To you. This is the scorched earth narrative thread

GENUINE question no troll here - would you then say Pokémon Go couldn't count coz it was free?

Like Live said earlier, I don't even count it as a game.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    I'd also like to stick in an honourable mention for BroForce, which is disqualified due to Reg's stupid rules.It's a game for people who enjoy reading Zoo or Nuts, presumably while silently mouthing the words as they follow them on the page with their finger.

This thread will sustain me for hibernation
  • Andy wrote:
    I'd also like to stick in an honourable mention for BroForce, which is disqualified due to Reg's stupid rules. It's a game for people who enjoy reading Zoo or Nuts, presumably while silently mouthing the words as they follow them on the page with their finger.
    Well I liked it and don't fit that description (I can read Nuts no-handed). It also came out last year originally.
  • That's why I said it was disqualified. Maybe start using the finger again. ;)
  • Worst Reg of the year: JonB
  • lol at u4. You really are a bunch of tw@s sometimes
    The Forum Herald™
  • Andy wrote:
    The former has a broken (yes, it is broken) dialogue system which may, if we are being more generous than is deserved, be intended to mimic real life conversation, but which doesn't.
    It's not broken (no, it isn't broken).
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    lol at u4. You really are a bunch of tw@s sometimes

Can I claim to have played this one for teh lulz Reg?
  • I nearly bought it for £15 but decided against it
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    NMS got off pretty lightly on this forum didn't it? At least compared to the rest of the internet.
    Most seemed to be a bit deflated by it but not the rabid mad dogs of other parts of the net, no-one started a lawsuit or a campaign against it.

And thank Jebus for that. This forum at its best for not descending into the fetid depths many other forums are prone to.

I haven't played a bad game this year so I can't vote. I feel like a winner.

Get schwifty.
  • Andy wrote:
    The former has a broken (yes, it is broken) dialogue system which may, if we are being more generous than is deserved, be intended to mimic real life conversation, but which doesn't.
    It's not broken (no, it isn't broken).
    When an audio file gets clipped half way through a word, it's broken. When player dialogue options fade at a certain point in another character's dialogue, but the options you had make no sense until something the other character says after your options are gone, it's broken.

It's broken.
  • I never particularly noticed that but I'm a dubmdumb and we've also done this dance
  • Oh. Seemed to work fine for me. Must have just been outrageously lucky!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    No Man's Sky and Virginia can take second and third for me. They're both just complete husks of fucking nothing.

Besides that gaming has been great this year. Kinda fell back in love with it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No Man's Sky and Virginia can take second and third for me. They're both just complete husks of fucking nothing.

Besides that gaming has been great this year. Kinda fell back in love with it.

You shoulda done them at the time. I love you DS but you broke my heart here
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Virginia
    Starfox

Treated as one and two
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    lol at u4. You really are a bunch of tw@s sometimes

Can I claim to have played this one for teh lulz Reg?

UR DOING IT RONG
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    OP updated. As an aside, I've played fewer games this year, but the games I have played, I've played more of and mostly to completion as I've really liked them. That said, there's definitely two pieces of hot piss I've been near
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Virginia
    Starfox

Treated as one and two

Yeah that's fair.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    No Man's Sky and Virginia can take second and third for me. They're both just complete husks of fucking nothing. Besides that gaming has been great this year. Kinda fell back in love with it.

What have I become, my sweetest friend
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    No Man's Sky and Virginia can take second and third for me. They're both just complete husks of fucking nothing. Besides that gaming has been great this year. Kinda fell back in love with it.

What have I become, my sweetest friend

This crown of shit.

Fecal matter has rightly become a topic of my choice in here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!