Around about 4 you gotta clear the lobby
  • If R. Kelly came from a culture that appreciated camp, he'd be as big a name as John Waters. Trapped in the Closet is genuine genius.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • It's among my favourite 00s things.
  • Facewon wrote:
    "importance," timing, behaviour, relevance to the art all play a part. Kelly suffers, IMO, because of recency and because his crime was sex with a minor, and his music is ridiculously sexual and in the case of some tracks (song he wrote on love below for andre) treads an awkward line. (song is all about how age is irrelevant to love.)

I think this is a bullshit argument and hinges entirely on the feelings of the listener. Like if you are made to remember what crimes the individual is supposed to have committed, that's on you, not the singer. This is an argument that that arse who was interviewed in the Village Voice used. He said he could still listen to James Brown because he didn't remind him of his crimes. Huh? Let's have that again please. As long as someone doesn't trip that switch in your brain it's OK to beat and rape women. Rick James is okay because he had a great Dave Chappelle sketch. Well Rick James kidnapped, tortured and raped a woman. But because he occupies a funny space in your brain that's all okay?

I would argue that Kelly's output is overwhelmingly invested in 1) consent, 2) love and 3) the beauty and importance of music. You can name one or two dodgy songs but the overwhelming majority is in these three categories. I Like The Crotch on You is the exception, not the rule. The "it reminds me of bad stuff" argument is sloppy as all fucking hell. It prioritizes the sensitive feelings of the listener, not the victim or the culprit. It is lazy bullshit.

R. Kelly is the most important musician of his generation, regardless of genre. That just is. It's not up for debate and does not bend to the whims of the individual. That he is not respected as such is far more to do with a weird kind of genre snobbery and racism, than it is any crime he is alleged to have committed. I know you know this already as we've had this discussion before, but it's worth saying anyway.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • I find it funny that people excuse rock stars of the 70s by saying "It was a different time then" yet the age of consent has been 16 since 1885.
  • I find it funny that people excuse rock stars of the 70s by saying "It was a different time then" yet the age of consent has been 16 since 1885.
    White artists get a much easier ride, I reckon.
  • So you consider him a generation below Michael Jackson then?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I couldn't care less if R. Kelly was a member of the Third Reich. I just can't stand his music.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    In fact most of the old blues musicians were terrible cunts. But I love them all.
  • Kow wrote:
    I couldn't care less if R. Kelly was a member of the Third Reich. I just can't stand his music.
    I think I could turn you.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    These pants stay on.
  • So you consider him a generation below Michael Jackson then?
    Kelly started in '92, Michael started in '69.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think it would annoy me more if a singer I liked turned out to be a Trump supporter than if he was a murderer.
  • Kow wrote:
    I think it would annoy me more if a singer I liked turned out to be a Trump supporter than if he was a murderer.
    Ha! Agreed.
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    So you consider him a generation below Michael Jackson then?
    Kelly started in '92, Michael started in '69.

Yes, but he started as a child. There is a 9 year gap in age.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    XOMuggins wrote:
    R. Kelly is the most important musician of his generation, regardless of genre. That just is. It's not up for debate and does not bend to the whims of the individual.
    So this is a big call.

Alternatives for comparison and criteria please, so we can hash this out.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret wrote:
    XOMuggins wrote:
    R. Kelly is the most important musician of his generation, regardless of genre. That just is. It's not up for debate and does not bend to the whims of the individual.
    So this is a big call. Alternatives for comparison and criteria please, so we can hash this out.
    The impact he had on his genre, combined with his skill, performance level and mastery of production and arrangement, nobody comes close. He influenced dozens and dozens of great artists, including but not limited to The Weeknd, Beyonce, Frank Ocean, Janet Jackson and on and on. He shaped the sound of music in the 90s, 00s and 10s. He was as influential as Prince or MJ before him.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    He's also awful. I Believe I can Fly is a mawkish horror of a song.
  • Judging R. Kelly for that song is like judging Bob Dylan for Is Your Love In Vain.
  • Nah, not really. He has a wide range of amazing tracks that are up there with the best of anybody. I'll throw together a playlist for anyone brave enough to listen.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Can be hard to separate the artist from the art once you learn something unsavoury about them. You can try and compartmentalise them but ultimately there has to be some influence. But it can depend on the subject under discussion.

Anyhow, shouldn't this be in the non-gaming zone?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I can buy that nobody comes close in the genre or related genres, given I could not name a single track of his and bar a few exceptions don't listen to those genres. But still, Buzz Osborne, Yorke (or more Radiohead in general), Malkmus? Nick Cave maybe. Too broad a church for me to call it. I'd say Kurt Vile but every time I hear a song and think 'ooh this sounds influenced by Kurt Vile" it turns out to be Kurt Vile. I unno really. Interested in Face's thoughts, and Tempy's.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    It's his best work.
    That would be a sad state of affairs.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Kow wrote:

dis. Simpo anthem /elite
  • I think R. Kelly's influential, I'm just not sure the whole narrative about Influential Pop Figures really matters any more.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    T'is a homogenous mass. My bro's band is sticking rigidly to their narrow sphere of influences (J Mascis, Sonic Youth, Slint) though so there's hope.
  • Skerret wrote:
    I can buy that nobody comes close in the genre or related genres, given I could not name a single track of his and bar a few exceptions don't listen to those genres. But still, Buzz Osborne, Yorke (or more Radiohead in general), Malkmus? Nick Cave maybe. Too broad a church for me to call it. I'd say Kurt Vile but every time I hear a song and think 'ooh this sounds influenced by Kurt Vile" it turns out to be Kurt Vile. I unno really. Interested in Face's thoughts, and Tempy's.
    His impact on Rap alone - surely uncontested as THE genre of today - guarantees his status. If you look at what Kanye West has done, in softening and humanizing the genre, that all started with Kells. Kells was the one who first bridged the gap and said "Hey we can have sweet ass melody in a hard as fuck rap song."
  • Skerret wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    dis. Simpo anthem /elite
    Nah, not quite but I can see why people would use this song as a lightning rod for everything (imagined) wrong about him.
  • I hate 90s R'n'B because I love the original 50s/60s rnb. It's an irrational, guttural hatred for me, along with my hatred of disco.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Uncontested as the popular genre perhaps, but anything that visible suffers from a wealth of same sounding cash-in imitators that dilute the product and maybe harm the innovators. If R Kelly influenced what appears to be a very homogenised oversubscribed genre then does that reduce his legacy? Again, I listen to very little of it so terribly under qualified, more questions in the general sense. Quality over quantity?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!