Around about 4 you gotta clear the lobby
  • Spotify, all day at work. Endless new and old-but-new-to-me music.
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    hinges entirely on the feelings of the listener. Like if you are made to remember what crimes the individual is supposed to have committed, that's on you, not the singer.

But I'm not really trying to make an argument other than this is why I think I, and probably other folk, struggle with some artists and not others.

The thread is discussing how folks feel about artists with morally questionable acts in their history and how folks feel about the art and/or artist. I'll put my hand up and say I am irrational and inconsistent about artists for various reasons around this stuff.

I don't buy the complete separation arguments and I don't buy that there isn't a point where you can be justified in going fuck x's art because of Y action.

If Gary glitter had a song called I love to fuck kids, or saville had one called corpse fucker I struggle to see how folks could seperate shit.

Anyhoo.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I like finding new stuff. That thing you feel when all you want to do is listen to an album over and over. One of life's pleasures. Granted it seems a little harder in some ways but then again is also a little easier with Spotify etc.

I find it hard to separate some stuff from the artist but then again there hasn't really been anyone I've been a super fan of that has been caught out. After reading the court hearing for the lost prophets guy I certainly know I'd never touch their stuff. Would I keep listening if I'd have been a fan? Maybe.
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:
    XOMuggins wrote:
    His impact on Rap alone - surely uncontested as THE genre of today
    Now that's where you fell over, might just be me, but I find plenty of very good music to listen to outisde of rap. Guess I've just been ridiculously lucky, but the actual rap stuff I do listen to ends up being late nineties or grime Maybe R-Kelly is the greatest thing since sliced bread but to my mind he's not as sexy as LL Cool J, not as summery as Slick Rick, and not as dark as Ice Cube, and not as pop as SkeeLo
    Not saying there isn't good music outside of rap. Am saying it is the dominant genre, which it is.

I had no idea that Adele, Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber were all recognised rappers.
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    R. Kelly is the most important musician of his generation, regardless of genre. That just is. It's not up for debate and does not bend to the whims of the individual.

Hahahahaha.

OK then.
  • It's almost sig-worthy.
  • To be fair Trapped in a closet is really fucking funny.

I know nothing else about R Kelly other than he married a 15 year old Aaliyah and might have made a sex video with a 14 year old fan. So yeah, guess I didn't separate the musician from the music in that one.

I try really hard not to read or listen to anything Billy Corgan ever says as 'Siamese Dream' is my favourite album ever, and 'Mellon Collie' a close second. He seems like such an arrogant prick.
  • If you'd told me in the mind '90s the singer in Smashing Pumpkins would wind up a blob that owns a wrestling company I'd have made a remarkable noise and physical gesture.

I can't hate on that trajectory.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    He loves cats openly too remember
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    He also gets points for looking like a convicted paedophile.
  • Brooks wrote:
    If you'd told me in the mind '90s the singer in Smashing Pumpkins would wind up a blob that owns a wrestling company I'd have made a remarkable noise and physical gesture.

I can't hate on that trajectory.

Well, owns is currently up in the air.
  • I think it's an interesting topic. I'm a pretty big R Kelly listener (as opposed to fan) as some of his songs are my favourites of all time "Your bodies callin for me", "bump n grind", "you remind me of something", "down low", "i believe I can fly" etc. 

But i'm not like most music lovers, I don't read up about artists, I don't look into their lives, i don't often go to see them live or watch/listen to interviews... I just listen to their music. So very often i've been oblivious to any misdemeanours etc. 

I heard about the aaliyah stuff late on after i'd had years of listening to those songs so it's very hard for me to unpick the memories i've got associated with that music.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Brooks wrote:
    If you'd told me in the mind '90s the singer in Smashing Pumpkins would wind up a blob that owns a wrestling company I'd have made a remarkable noise and physical gesture. I can't hate on that trajectory.
    Well, owns is currently up in the air.

I legit appreciate this correction.
  • Facewon wrote:
    XOMuggins wrote:
    hinges entirely on the feelings of the listener. Like if you are made to remember what crimes the individual is supposed to have committed, that's on you, not the singer.
    But I'm not really trying to make an argument other than this is why I think I, and probably other folk, struggle with some artists and not others. The thread is discussing how folks feel about artists with morally questionable acts in their history and how folks feel about the art and/or artist. I'll put my hand up and say I am irrational and inconsistent about artists for various reasons around this stuff. I don't buy the complete separation arguments and I don't buy that there isn't a point where you can be justified in going fuck x's art because of Y action. If Gary glitter had a song called I love to fuck kids, or saville had one called corpse fucker I struggle to see how folks could seperate shit. Anyhoo.
    Fair enough. I'm just pointing out that Kells doesn't actually have that many songs which bring up this issue. Yes, there is a lot of sex in his music but it is all consensual, loving or just plain ridiculous. Didn't mean to get aggressive. Not my intention.
    '
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • All good. I was just musing on my own foibles and taste decisions.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I don't think art and morality should ever be linked tbh. Although Hitler and Stalin might disagree with that statement, I think I can safety say R Kelly is shit because I just listened to him and he was just awful.
  • "I'm a cookie monster, break your back, crack it open like a lobster."

I'd go as far as to say that isn't even art, never mind any crustacean moral implications.
  • I can't believe you went to "it's not art".

It's like the hitler law (which we've already breached) but specific to the edgeverse (yeah i don't give a fuck I wrote that)
  • "I'm a cookie monster, break your back, crack it open like a lobster."

I'd go as far as to say that isn't even art, never mind any crustacean moral implications.

There's some classics here:
    http://www.timeout.com/london/music/r-kelly-worst-ever-lyrics
  • Personal favourite is:
    ‘This toilet paper be cutting my ass, I need some rolls of tissue’
    How can that not be considered art?
  • R Kelly belongs down a well.
  • 'It's like Jurassic Park, but I'm your sexasaurus.'

I can't think of anything in the history of music to top that.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'm genuinely feeling I should give RKelly some time, there's comedy gold in some of these quotes

Although there's only room for one sexasaurus in modern music

Barney_2265600b.jpg
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Sexasaurus can join Hiphopapotamous for a duet.
  • trippy wrote:
    'It's like Jurassic Park, but I'm your sexasaurus.' I can't think of anything in the history of music to top that.

It is good but...

"She had dumps like a truck, truck, truck"

Mark Althavean 'Sisqo' Andrews - 2000
  • "Thighs like what, what, what."

Like what mate

LIKE WHAT
  • "Tempy move your butt, butt, butt"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!