NES Classic Edition (The mini one)
  • Escape wrote:
    It was the Bone of its day.

Generally lacking a wide library of decent titles but with intense fan communities built around the one or two games that are actually worth playing and an overrated pad?
  • Escape wrote:
    Generally lacking a wide library of decent titles but with intense fan communities built around the one or two games that are actually worth playing and an overrated pad?

The Jap/Mk.II Saturn pads are legit, the best ever non-analog pad.

There's a reason the design is still copied so much today.
  • The d-pad on saturn controllers was horrendous.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Oh, what is it about the Sat controllers desig that has been copied so much? I looked up the controller and can't see what it could be.
  • Street fighter fight pad?!
  • The Saturn had the best memory because it took batteries.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Genuine surprise at elf's hatred of the dpad - maybe he had a dodgy one? It's glorious. We did get a slightly iffy version of the pad early on but it was replaced with the JP mark 2 which is far better.

System on board memory got you going without having to faff about with memory cards. The battery lasts a couple of years on average. And there's a cartridge with elephantine memory which was all you needed.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    version 1 which isn't so good:

Saturn%20Pad%201.jpg?1322741924

version 2 which I think is truly great:

800px-Sega-Saturn-ControllerS%20copy.jpg?1322742616
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Street fighter fight pad?!

Many of those types around way before Saturn. 

@Davy: I should've said Mk1 d-pad is what I detested. Mk2 was improved, yes.
  • Andy wrote:
    To be blunt it's a piss taking rip off.

I also like to think anyone into retro, Nintendo specifically would have picked up a NES at some point.

I just struggle to see who it was aimed at other than them playing off the sort of Nintendo fan that buys anything with their name on it.

There are people out there, nostalgic about the NES they had as a kid, who aren't so into video games they want to buy an original NES, or faff about with emulation. Or people who didn't have a NES, but are keen to experience some of those games without having to buy an original NES or faff about with emulation.

It is a really convenient solution (criminally short controller cable aside). It takes up much less room and is much more appealing (to many) than a cigarette smoke stained NES with carts that may or may not work. Many people don't have a PC, let alone the knowledge (or desire) to waste time learning how to get emulators to work and finding the right ROMs.

I don't see what's so hard to understand about it's obvious appeal.

That's a fair enough argument.

But they're not the ones buying them on ebay for hundreds are they.

It's the people within the gaming community that are losing they're shit over it I don't get, they should know better.

I'm convinced it would never have happened if Nintendo didn't have the awkward situation of the WiiU ending early, Zelda/Switch being March and having nothing for xmas.
    I don't think it was an avenue they wanted to go down or will likely go down again any time soon.

I will give them their due, they did a good job of it (controller lead aside).

Agreed, I'm not expecting a SNES mini anytime soon unless Switch sales tank.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Escape wrote:

tenor.gif
  • Vela wrote:
    I thought the Saturn managed to outsell the PS1 in Japan for most of the gen.

It did for a good while.

N64 also outsold the PS in NA for the first year.

PS was a slow burner... well apart from Europe. They turned that from a market where the top console sold around 8M to one that matched NA in the 30-40M range.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Escape wrote:

The Jap/Mk.II Saturn pads are legit, the best ever non-analog pad.

There's a reason the design is still copied so much today.
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Oh, what is it about the Sat controllers desig that has been copied so much? I looked up the controller and can't see what it could be.

Have to agree with elf. There's no Saturn DNA in current pads from what I can see.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Have to agree with elf. There's no Saturn DNA in current pads from what I can see.

ABXY in the wrong place.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Incorrect.
  • Funny thing there is that never caused confusion back then because of the different button layout.

I still curse MS for not doing something different. Roman numerals would have been sweet but instead they caused this divide.

edit: to be fair Sega did it first with DC.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    What are you talking about? A/B/X/Y are in the same layout on the Xbox pad as the Saturn pad, the Saturn pad just has a C and Z tacked onto the right-hand side, the logical place for C and Z buttons, and one that isn't available to Nintendo and their backwards alphabet usage.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Also, that layout originated with the Megadrive 6 button pad, before even the DC.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    What are you talking about? A/B/X/Y are in the same layout on the Xbox pad as the Saturn pad, the Saturn pad just has a C and Z tacked onto the right-hand side, the logical place for C and Z buttons, and one that isn't available to Nintendo and their backwards alphabet usage.

The true Abxy is on Super Nintendo.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message

If it was so true, surely you'd be calling it 'the true Bayx', but you aren't, because that would be retarded.
  • @Yossarian

But it was a 6 button layout not a 4, being different I never confused the two.

The original MD 3 buttons and SNES 4 for the same reason.

No matter what either of us prefer and therfore think is right there exists a divide.

If MS which borrowed the SNES 4 button standard had gone with something different like Sony did with shapes then that divide wouldn't exist.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I just realised the GameCube A B colouring matches the Xbox one and feel a bit gross about it.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Also, that layout originated with the Megadrive 6 button pad, before even the DC.

Yeah, but the 6 button pads didnt become standard til Saturn.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Someone on Nvc Pointed out the the ps symbology would be perfect for the switch controlllers because they are rotatable shapes (i.e. X is always an X regardless of rotation)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    @retro:

Or, if Nintendo had used the alphabet in alphabetical order the divide wouldn't exist. Blaming Microsoft for this seems bizarre, especially when, as you acknowledge, they weren't even the first company to use the alphabet correctly on buttons.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Yeah, but the 6 button pads didnt become standard til Saturn.

They were in the box with the MDII.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Genesis
  • Also the ms pad was originally a wanky six button layout which got changed to LR buttons.
  • Yossarian wrote:

If it was so true, surely you'd be calling it 'the true Bayx', but you aren't, because that would be retarded.

It was the original and somewhat tongue in cheek.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Fair play. It's still retarded. Personally, I think that Nintendo should stop being so damn stubborn and label their buttons correctly.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Or, if Nintendo had used the alphabet in alphabetical order the divide wouldn't exist. Blaming Microsoft for this seems bizarre, especially when, as you acknowledge, they weren't even the first company to use the alphabet correctly on buttons.

I can't help that Nintendo did it first. In terms of 4 face buttons my brain is programmed for that SNES layout.

I don't mean to rag on MS but they're relevant in the gaming landscape and Sega aren't unfortunately.

As far as displaying the alphabet correctly I don't recall anyone putting down Super Mario Bros because the B button proceeded the A. It doesn't matter.

I just find it unfortunate that it's created the situation we're in. You fuck up on Zelda pushing the wrong button the same way I do on Halo, I just feel that wouldn't exist if MS did something different.

There's no right or wrong, just unnecessary confusion.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!