NES Classic Edition (The mini one)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I never really saw the appeal myself. I was a NES owner in the early 90s and I enjoyed it but for some reason I don't have a strong desire to go back. Of course NES emulation is very good and it even runs really well on the Dreamcast.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Wasn't it just meant as a bit of a novelty thanksgiving/ Xmas gift? The original price tag of 60 euro is pretty throwaway for a gift that can appeal to kids and adults alike. I thought it was a great idea with a neat presentation. Yes you can emulate but I don't think that's what it was aimed against . It's really just a fun toy.

If /when they go with the SNES version, they may approach it differently given the popularity of this one. For me, a gameboy advance one could be killer.
    SFV - reddave360
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I imagine the licensing is a right ballache to get agreed. Would have liked a NES one but likely never played. SNES or GB / GBA I'd be all over!
  • I'd go full fanboy for a Snes classic.
  • monkey wrote:
    I'd go full Nintard for a Snes classic.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    I'd go full 3.5" floppy for a Snes classic.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    I'd go full Nintard for a Snes classic.

Your username suggests it's too late.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. SNES would be a different story. Really though - an HDMI N64 would be my preference.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Almost (but not quite) a SNES Classic.

Stolen from Reg's twitter feed.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I'm wondering if Nintendo will re-release the NES this Xmas with a batch of different titles, plus a few classics thrown into the mix.
  • For a snes classic I'd really want to see these games which will almost certainly never happen:

Star fox
    Plok
    Killer Instinct

Having said that a redo of the SNES yoshi would be nice to see too.

Essentially: FX chip is a fucker.
  • davyK wrote:
    Aye. SNES would be a different story. Really though - an HDMI N64 would be my preference.

An N64 one could conceivably get every good game if a deal with MS could be reached.

That's highly unlikely though so it would end up lacking unfortunately.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Saturn Classic and I'm in.  £100 hardware, all the awkward innards of the old one, presumably manufactured for peanuts these days.  ISO files offered on Sega's website at £4 a pop, burn to CD and go.  Even if 70% of users get their files elsewhere/share them they'd still make profit on the HW.

Assuming it sold well, which it wouldn't.
  • Can that be done on a chipped Saturn btw?  I may have just described something that's entirely possible already.
  • Pretty sure there was a recent breakthrough regarding Saturn piracy/emulation.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I sort of remember commenting on it but wasn't sure if it was Saturn or Dreamcast.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Re Saturn security - A guy has managed to make a gizmo that you plug into the video CD card slot and lets you play off a USB device holding ISOs. It's a Saturn owners wet dream but it is some time away from being productised.

• That was it, thanks.  I'll take a modern gaming hiatus when that happens.
  • Incredible that it took so long to crack the Saturn.
  • Well, no one had one ...
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's definitely part of the problem. It was genuinely tough to crack though too. The Saturn is enjoying a resurgence and I suspect the renewed interest is behind it ultimately.

It's now the console of choice for that era in my book. Mainly because most of that 1st gen console 3D stuff looks bloody awful.
  • Yeah in the same way 16Bit games have aged better than PS/N64, time has been kinder to Saturn.

At the time very few had interest in some of its best games though due to the lack of 3D, so it's no surprise it sold the least in hindsight.

I think N64 has aged better than PS though, I played quite a bit of PSone last year with moot, proper shocking some of it.

Boggles the mind now that it outsold the other two so handedly but at the time it was so amazing.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I picked the PS1 up late in its life. It was never a console I thought much of. I only picked it up to play some of the oddball games like Bishi Bashi, Vib Ribbon and Parappa. It hosts some very nice 2D shooters and is better at 2D than many give it credit for.
  • davyK wrote:
    the PS1...  is better at 2D than many give it credit for.

True, I remember Street Fighter Alpha 3 showing just how bad the previous efforts by Capcom on the machine were, especially some of those Marvel games.

One thing I've never known is the 2D abilities of the N64. I'm guessing shite as outside of Mischief Makers, Bangai-O, Rakugakids and Yoshi's Story I can't think of any off the top of my head, and I don't remember them looking particularly impressive.

It must have been real bad not to have gotten a Street Fighter. Alpha 2 made it to SNES and Capcom did support the 64, late admittedly but with RE2 which was thought impossible with the FMV and much more of an expensive risk than a 2D fighter I would have thought. They even started RE0 on the N64.

Anyway does anyone have some concrete details on the N64's 2D abilities?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I got a Saturn after a few weeks of my first job. Had been out of videogames for a while. I knew PlayStation was bigger but I always go underdog and Saturn had all the 2d fighters. Lovely console if you think of it as the pinnacle of 2d In terms of tech (SNES has the better library). Games were cheap as the Saturn flopped badly in ireland. For little money I had a great collection within weeks. Good times.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Incredible that it took so long to crack the Saturn.

It's a combination of this
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Well, no one had one ...

and the already mentioned fact that the internals were batshit crazy.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • To be blunt it's a piss taking rip off.

I also like to think anyone into retro, Nintendo specifically would have picked up a NES at some point.

I just struggle to see who it was aimed at other than them playing off the sort of Nintendo fan that buys anything with their name on it.

There are people out there, nostalgic about the NES they had as a kid, who aren't so into video games they want to buy an original NES, or faff about with emulation. Or people who didn't have a NES, but are keen to experience some of those games without having to buy an original NES or faff about with emulation.

It is a really convenient solution (criminally short controller cable aside). It takes up much less room and is much more appealing (to many) than a cigarette smoke stained NES with carts that may or may not work. Many people don't have a PC, let alone the knowledge (or desire) to waste time learning how to get emulators to work and finding the right ROMs.

I don't see what's so hard to understand about it's obvious appeal.
  • I'm convinced it would never have happened if Nintendo didn't have the awkward situation of the WiiU ending early, Zelda/Switch being March and having nothing for xmas.
    I don't think it was an avenue they wanted to go down or will likely go down again any time soon.

I will give them their due, they did a good job of it (controller lead aside).
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The Saturn might've done okay in today's world, but gaming was still primarily for kids and the cash-poor in the '90s, and the PlayStation was too much for it. It was the Bone of its day.
  • I thought the Saturn managed to outsell the PS1 in Japan for most of the gen.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!