NES Classic Edition (The mini one)
  • mk64 wrote:
    Gamermike wrote:
    The Daddy wrote:
    - Mario Bros 2 is weird as fuck. I know now it was reskinned from some Japanese platformer - but it's just so, so odd.
    I regularly, and for no apparent reason, have the Mario 2 theme tune running through my head. I never got very far with the actual game, it is an odd one.
    I had a tune stuck in my head for a long long time, I only found out last year it was from GB Super Mario Land, a game I haven't touched for over 15 years. No idea how that happens.
    Which one?

I always thought it was from a Goeman game or something.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mario 2 is weird but it's a great wee game. I first encountered it via Super Mario All Stars on SNES. It's a very nice version with spruced up visuals and music.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Man I want one of these so much. Made the error of simply dropping heavy hints to the wife... you know, for Xmas... instead of ordering one myself.

• WorKid wrote:
    Man I want one of these so much. Made the error of simply dropping heavy hints to the wife... you know, for Xmas... instead of ordering one myself.

Classic Mistake!

I still reckon there'll be plenty come mid December.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • It would be such a typical Nintendo move to not make enough of them. I'm shocked they got it released this side of Xmas.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Thanksgiving and all that shit, they just wanted them in time for Black Friday, that's why they launched now
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • So what 30 games should Nintendo include on the mini SNES next year? SMW, Zelda LTTP, SF2, Pilot Wings, Mario Kart, Star Fox, maybe chuck in Super Mario All Stars also, Metroid...

I'm on the fence with this mini NES but a mini SNES I'd be all over it.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    retro thread has discussed this a bit. Some lists there. I'm with you - mini NES nice , mini SNES would be borderline must buy for me.
  • Bet they don't release a mini Snes...or they will and it will be silly money.
  • As long as they release the controllers, I'll be happy.
  • Or just with shit games on.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Nintendo already made the snes controller for wii so at least that part is done.

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The hori snes pad for game cube, is pretty much up there with God like controllers, such an item of lust

Hori-Gamecube-1.JPG
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Still haven't hooked up my mini Nes. Might do that this afternoon
  • cockbeard wrote:
    The hori snes pad for game cube, is pretty much up there with God like controllers, such an item of lust

Hori-Gamecube-1.JPG

I wonder what game was made to exclusively use the GameCube d pad.

Weird thing.

That z button is also weird.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    SoulCalibur II.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That hori pad would be good for the few shmups the GC got. It got a really nice port of Castle Shikigami 2. Ikaruga too of course.

• Finally plugged this in tonight for a quick shot between work and going out for dinner which my folks. Apart from having to take a stool through from the kitchen and sit barely two feet from my telly, it's a cracking wee bit of kit. So far I've only briefly played a few games I already kinda know (Super Mario Bros, Double Dragon II, Ghosts n Goblins and Galaga) and one I didn't (Tecmo Bowl). If I use it to play through the three Super Mario Bros, Zelda and Metroid, while playing enough of the others to get a good taste of them, on the original pad with the original graphics, I'll be happy with my money's worth.

A second rather shameful choice, along with the 75cm controller cable, is the omission of the game manuals; that option on the menu just takes you to a splash screen with a QR code and a url. Fucking disgraceful. There should be instructions for the games within the on-screen menu. The manual in the box doesn't even explain all the menu options, you have to find that online too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The cable lengths seem to indicate a target audience who will play this at a desk or similar setup. Disappointing.

I believe Japanese consoles do tend to have shorter cables (is this a myth about smaller rooms?). I've certainly seen supporting evidence with my JP and EU Saturn controllers. Having said that - this seems to be pushing that theory to beyond reason.
  • There are two decent reasons for the short cable

1) the controls for the machine are on the console (e.g. Changing games and saving) so a long cable doesn't really fit with the general ways save states are used and the console will be. This is only important if they want to keep the nes controller as accurate as possible.

2) it can be used with wii remote which would make the cable riddick stupid.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fair enough.
  • Neither of those sound like good reasons.

The Master System used to have its start/pause button on the console (and reset - the joys of accidentally getting them mixed up when trying to pause in a hurry), and yet we all still sat on the sofa when playing.

For the inconvenience of a bit of extra cable for some people, which could be tied up, it doesn't make much sense to hamstring everyone else.
  • When I said decent I meant more: there are rational reasons for shortness given the design choices made in terms of physical accuracy of the box and controllers. Then it's just a punt on what you choose. People would have complained about having to walk up to the console to save or change games given the button is on the console and not the controller.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    On RetroPie, pressing start and select at the same time quits out of the game. They could have nicked that to add in a menu that allows you to save/load/quit to a main menu screen.
  • Gamermike wrote:
    mk64 wrote:
    Gamermike wrote:
    The Daddy wrote:
    - Mario Bros 2 is weird as fuck. I know now it was reskinned from some Japanese platformer - but it's just so, so odd.
    I regularly, and for no apparent reason, have the Mario 2 theme tune running through my head. I never got very far with the actual game, it is an odd one.
    I had a tune stuck in my head for a long long time, I only found out last year it was from GB Super Mario Land, a game I haven't touched for over 15 years. No idea how that happens.
    Which one?
    I always thought it was from a Goeman game or something.

That music seems so out of sync with the rest of the game :) 

I'm amazed that Nintendo have never tried to replicate the flying devices in newer games. The spaceship one is awesome.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I think that's why it was so difficult for me to place the tune with the game, as it was so different.
  • Everything about Mario Land is so different. Some people laud it for that.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Or maybe you just didn't get that far
  • Isn't that, like, world 2?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!