Man (I feel like a, erm, man)
  • Got the mounting point up for nest camera above the garage. Now need to get a 30cm x 5cm SDS drill bit to go through side of garage so i can thread the cable through. Then got fill up the hole.

Garden nest camera has been much easier, mounting point up just got to get all the cabling tided away to the power point.

Still got paint touch ups to do in the house all before the weekend.

Enjoying his DIY stuff at mo.
  • Spoiler:
  • He’s trying to fit his nest
    So he needs a lot of rest
    In the countraaaaay!
  • So luckily i measured the require drill bit again. Was 20mm x 300mm. So popped down to screwfix and bought it. Only doesnt fit my drill. So asked a mate if i can borrow his SDS drill. Sure he says. As its not a SDS drill bit have you got an adapter for it. Of course i dont. Feck sake. Back to Screwfix in morning for adapter. I only need to drill one bloody 300mm x 20mm hole. Fecking DIY.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I thought drill bits just fit? Tighten with the chuck key?
  • I thought drill bits just fit? Tighten with the chuck key?

Gonna find out tomorrow morning when i borrow his SDS drill. Hope your right, i was thinking the same. This is a faff.

You got a drill that has a freaking 20mm bit accepting chuck in your cupboard dawg?

Edit: Dino how come the hole needs to be 20mm wide? Is there some rigid conduit you gotta install or something for security on the cabling from the camera or something so it can't just be easily cut/removed?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."

SDS bits won't fit in a normal Chuck. A proper SDS drill will be make the job much easier.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've just googled SDS drill. That's the only type I've ever had (my father in law gave me his old one). I assumed they were all pretty much alike.
  • Roujin wrote:
    I thought drill bits just fit? Tighten with the chuck key?

You got a drill that has a freaking 20mm bit accepting chuck in your cupboard dawg?

Edit: Dino how come the hole needs to be 20mm wide? Is there some rigid conduit you gotta install or something for security on the cabling from the camera or something so it can't just be easily cut/removed?

The wire from the nest outdoor camera has a cylinder bit where the usb connector attaches to the power adapter. The cylinder is 20mm wide. I need to get it through the side of the garage wall into the garage. The wall is around 300mm thick. I could cut the cable before the cylinder, make a smaller hole and feed it through the garage wall and reattach it but thats a faff and i could just permanently fuck up the cable which the camera is attached to. Hope that makes sense.

Toolstation is on the way back from nursery. So tomorrow when i drop my son off im gonna grab a SDS drill bit of the right size and borrow mates SDS drill that should suffice. I will post a pic of the cylinder tomorrow incase it proves useful for anyone else planning on installing a Google Nest outdoor camera.
  • https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_bit_shank

The SDS shank is what I'm thinking of. Standard size sprung loaded quick release system.
  • Top picture, USB cylinder on left. Thats whats causing me the problems.

1R5n8jn

Screenshot-20201229-220152-Chrome.jpg
  • Why would you make an outdoor camera with a plug that large.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    We have plenty outlets outside, for barbeque's, tv's and random power supplies. Also have tv cables that go out, I don't think this house has any space where there's not at least one place to connect a tv.
  • I put my nest stuff up with a 12mm bit Dino. 20mm is almost core drill size.
  • When drilling through brickwork it's always best to use a sds drill with sds bits. I'd aim for mortar and not brick when you drill it because it's easier to go through. Make sure it's on hammer and not in reverse otherwise you'll be there all day ;D
  • n0face wrote:
    Why would you make an outdoor camera with a plug that large.
    Most modern cctv cameras come with rj45 connectors or bncs, 20mm is a fairly normal size hole to drill for fitting these leads through the wall.

• For commercial use that's totally fair but for a self install domestic camera that uses WiFi that seems a bit excessive.
  • Cupatay wrote:
    When drilling through brickwork it's always best to use a sds drill with sds bits. I'd aim for mortar and not brick when you drill it because it's easier to go through. Make sure it's on hammer and not in reverse otherwise you'll be there all day ;D

Thats the plan. Need the SDS drill first. Have the SDS drill bit. Bloody boiler is playing up. Turned it all off as ita makimg a whistling sound and in between a sound like someone is cutting metal. Anyway rang home emergency cover via Halifax Ultimate Reward account and someone will be out to take a look at somepoint today. Its only 0 degrees where we are. Lovely.
  • So the garage nest camera is up. Drilled a 30cm hole through side of garage and managed to get the USB cylinder through (well while it was attached to a stick so it didnt fall into the cavity). Picking up red brick caulk tomorrow to fill said hole.

Forgot to order the silicone skin cover for the camera, if i get one now i will have to slit it underneath to get the wire through then tape the slit up.

More importantly forgot to get the serial number for the camera so have to get back up there tomorrow as i meed that for the nest app.

Garden nest camera is almost wired in. Just 1m short of the outdoor socket box i have. So masterplug 1 socket extension lead on order to fix that issue. Its getting there.

Boiler guy turned up an hour ago, boiler fixed for now. Been told to get the fan replaced but wait till summer as prices should come back down. Circa £400 at moment and summer time should be around £150 for the fan.

Interestingly enough (for me anyway) its a old non condensing boiler. I asked if i should have it replaced with a newer model (cant afford a newer one) but was told no. It does the job on the tin. Keep it and keep it running until its absolutely on its last legs and you have no options leaft. Condensing boiler is not much more efficient. Its been heating 18 radiators for 20 years so its been ticking along nicely.
  • Gotta admit defeat today. Its minus 1.5 outside. Even with double socks and workman gloves, i cant feel my toes and the skin on my knuckles is splitting so you can see the blood beneath. So fecking cold. Wanted to get the rest of my outdoor DIY done. I've let myself down. Its so cold though can barely feel my fingers.
  • Feck sake. Had boiler guy come out via insurer. "Yep your fan is fried mate". "So can you fit a new one?". "I have to submit paperwork to head office who send the costs to the insurer for sign off. Once they approve it we will order the fan and then come round to fit it".

Sigh. So this could be weeks. In january with the prospect of temperatures dropping further and a full national lockdown. Feck sake. Should have just got a boiler guy myself to replace it. I dont know if the insurance company will approve the costs. Even if they do i will have to pay the excess. Why the feck couldnt this happen in june or july?
  • Your insurer will usually ship you electric heaters while your boiler is out if they're handling the boiler stuff.

Also don't beat yourself up about not getting your DIY done, working out in sub zero temperatures is no joke.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Why didn't you resolder the USB plug, Dino?
  • So just been told my boiler is "beyond economical repair" by the boiler company. Basically will cost around £700 with parts and labour to replace the fan. Insurer wont sign that off. So im fucked. Need to call insurers and have a word. So i have two options 1. Get a privatevboiler repair guy in. 2. Pay for a new boiler. Either option involves shelling out more money i dont have. Fuck.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Isn't a replacement covered on your insurance?
  • Isn't a replacement covered on your insurance?

No, it was via halifax home emergency cover via ultimate reward card. They have offered £250 towards a new boiler. Which isnt much when its about £2500 for a new boiler.

Anyway my plumber recommended me a boiler guy just called him. He said he can put a new fan in and have it sorted by end of week for under £500 all in. Said its a good solid boiler and not to spend money i dont have on a new one. I took him up on the new fan. Now need to find circa £500 to pay him. Hoepfully i can pay him on credit card.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!