ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    20 degrees, that's a bit chilly isn't it??
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • 19-22 is the normal temperature range for rooms typically.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I like 19, my wife likes 23.
  • My house is draughty af, old 1910 build. My winter gas bill last year was astronomical, I'm dreading it this year. I've turned all radiators to zero (0) in every room except the one I work in, and once it's warm I switch to an electric heater if needed. Still feel like I use the heating too much. Today I'm wearing two pairs of Tracy bottoms, a vest, t-shirt and hoody.

It was my bday at the weekend just gone and the only present I got was me allowing myself to have the heating on all day. Roll on spring.
  • We stick our heating at 15 degrees, I dunno how warm the rooms get off that and the insulation etc.
  • To get my living room to a reasonable temp (maybe 16) turns the rest of my flat into Chernobyl.
    I just get it to slightly above outside temp then insist the dog come sits with me, the boy is like a hot water bottle.
  • Tempy wrote:
    We stick our heating at 15 degrees, I dunno how warm the rooms get off that and the insulation etc.
    I do the same for mine, but only in the morning or a bit in the evening, otherwise it's staying off! Luckily I am the liberal metropolitan elite so my thermostat tells me the current temperature as well as the temperature is going to come on at.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    normally have the rad TVRs fully opened

Redlining TVRs is looking for trouble.

I've one thermostat that's surrounded by several rads that need to be open to get enough heat to the farthest ones, so it's either a hot hall or a cold kitchen. I don't go in my kitchen much, so I've set mine to 20.5 and it's currently 18.5 in there.
  • i just have one thermostat, but it's a nice digital one that you can set different temps at different times of the day, so there's much less faffing on or risk of leaving the heating on overnight.
    so at 10:30pm it sets the temp to a lower 'min' temp for through the night (14-which effectively means heating off unless things get really cold in the house), then shortly before wake up time it turns on and starts warming up to normal temp (20), then (at least pre lockdown) about 9am it sets a lower temp so heating is off most of the day but the house doesn't get too cold, before back to 20 about school home time.
    It even has a different weekend schedule to weekdays, and you can override at any time if you need a boost of heating then knock back onto the schedule at a button press.
    it's not a hive or something you can control remotely, but it's a lot cheaper too!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Just spent the whole morning putting the curtain rail in the living room back up, after my dear mother somehow managed to rip it down at the weekend, and in the process of pulling it off the wall, broke all sixteen brackets that were holding it up.
    It just fell down, she said, trying to look as innocent as possible, and failing miserably.
    I presume it'll just clip back on? she says.

i0wfoCJ.jpg

No mum, you've broken every single part of it...

God I hate D.I.Y.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Join the club. Took me a week and a half to strip wallpaper and repaint one small room. And I still have to tidy up the edges. D.I.Y. is the most tedious shit.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fucking curtain rails.  I remember the joy of two bay windows requiring them. The set Wifey chose consisted of a single rail for each bay window having two bendable sections so you can match the angle of the bay. Putting those up so that they were stable was a nightmare. I ended up having to hammer a huge nail at each end for the fancy bits at the end (finials I think they are called) to rest upon and stabilise them.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    i just have one thermostat, but it's a nice digital one that you can set different temps at different times of the day, so there's much less faffing on or risk of leaving the heating on overnight. so at 10:30pm it sets the temp to a lower 'min' temp for through the night (14-which effectively means heating off unless things get really cold in the house), then shortly before wake up time it turns on and starts warming up to normal temp (20), then (at least pre lockdown) about 9am it sets a lower temp so heating is off most of the day but the house doesn't get too cold, before back to 20 about school home time. It even has a different weekend schedule to weekdays, and you can override at any time if you need a boost of heating then knock back onto the schedule at a button press. it's not a hive or something you can control remotely, but it's a lot cheaper too!

That's what we have. It's portable but we tend to keep it in the hall in the centre of the house. Even when it is off it sets the temp at 6 degrees to prevent pipes freezing.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    Fucking curtain rails.  I remember the joy of two bay windows requiring them. The set Wifey chose consisted of a single rail for each bay window having two bendable sections so you can match the angle of the bay. Putting those up so that they were stable was a nightmare. I ended up having to hammer a huge nail at each end for the fancy bits at the end (finials I think they are called) to rest upon and stabilise them.
    Yup. That's pretty much exactly what we have in the living room. Fucking nightmare to put up.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • We’ve been in our house a month and we still haven’t got a washing machine yet. Turns out that lockdowns and Christmas breaks make it hard to get plumbers, joiners, etc to come out – and Brexit makes it even harder to actually buy a washing machine. Who could have predicted, etc, etc.

Luckily, there’s a laundry room in our barn. Rustic, but functional. There’s a gas boiler and an old top-loading washer. Great. Except the boiler doesn’t work. Switch it on and a big red warning light comes on. No hot water is forthcoming. And the washing machine, being old, does require hot water – it doesn’t heat the water itself.

Tonight I thought I’d give it one more try. And in the end I punched the boiler out of frustration.

It worked! I suddenly have hot water in the barn. So now I’ve got a wash on. I’m pretty pleased with myself.
  • Well done poprock. The old fonzy technique hey?
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    We’ve been in our house a month and we still haven’t got a washing machine yet. Turns out that lockdowns and Christmas breaks make it hard to get plumbers, joiners, etc to come out – and Brexit makes it even harder to actually buy a washing machine. Who could have predicted, etc, etc.
    Not sure if that's all on Brexit, when we were looking in July it was also really hard to find a washing machine. Would take at least 4 months to get one in most places.

Were able to grab a display model in the end, fridge was bought second hand.
  • Fair enough. Stock issues all over the world thanks to covid shutdowns, rather than Brexit-related? 

I’ve a pal who runs a kitchens/bathrooms shop and he says he can’t get hold of any washing machines (despite being a main dealer for a couple of European brands). His advice was to order something from AO.com because they have stock already in the UK.
  • We ordered a new washing machine on Sunday. It's being delivered on Friday. No stock issues whatsoever.
  • Have you not tried Currys?
  • I’ve not tried anywhere yet, still waiting for a plumber, fitter or designer who is able to visit and confirm what spec of machine we can fit where. Not ordering anything until we’ve specced it properly. And nobody is working/visiting just now under the lockdown rules.
  • Nope again.  Our washing machine leaked, damaging the floor.  We had our plumber out in three days (it had been a slow leak and we'd disconnected the washing machine by that point so it wasn't an emergency call out) and a joiner came to replace the ruined floorboards the morning after we called him.
  • Different circumstances to be fair but it's not as black and white as the rules stating nobody can work in your home.
  • Yeah, I know that. Just poorly worded on my part. The people we are going to use for this have shut down through the latest lockdown.
  • Scotland must be stricter with the rules. Plumbers, electricians, carpenters, builders all working down here and visiting homes.
  • Some building work is essential though I think. I've got a structural engineer coming round a week on Saturday to do a 3D assessment thing. Knowing whether my house is going to collapse is pretty essential I think. If the report says no immediate danger then I won't schedule the building work.

I've a bunch of other bits need doing like plastering, repairing some bannisters etc, that's not essential.
  • Should add the structural guy will be working outside with a mask on, and I'll be inside with a mask on.

I hope this is still allowed, I was wondering the last couple of days.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!