myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Good to know, I kinda like collecting etc but hate it when it's just a one time opportunity.

So, I just finished the
    Spoiler:
    and I like where this is going. Not that I have any clue, but that whole section felt pretty good.

• How’s the music? Great, innit?

I’ve put in a similar amount of time into Mario now and reached the end.  And Nier is ahead in my GotY so far.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • On side quests, I would say if they seem interesting and more story related (some provide good insight into backstory) I say do them. But quite a few can seem tedious or slightly dull although they can help flesh out the universe.

Maybe pace yourself on the side quests. A few here and there.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I'm not that far into the game, but so far the music's been good. Not sure if it's something that I'd listen to without playing, but it adds a lot. I've done some fishing just to take it all in (what's the timing for reeling in?) and entering the
    Spoiler:

I'm not sure what quests I have active right now (not really anything I think), but I'll keep the sidequest suggestion in mind. I usually don't mind them, even the tedious ones (I'm a gatherer, so as long as I'm getting metal and bits I should be fine), but if the difficulty isn't in line with the main quest I get annoyed (remember FFXII, at some point an the hunts I had were just too hard, and I was really enjoying them before). Side quests should be there to make the main quest easier.
    Not that this game really compares to a standard RPG. Feels very different. It's definitely something, hopefully can get some more time in today, I'm only playing this when B's not home as I think he's interested, and I don't want to spoil anything.
  • Tried a second go of this but had to abort due to children.  Dunno when I'll get enough time to get through the first section in one sitting.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Think it's close to an hour if you don't die, so make sure to have that next time. It's worth it (so far).

I've put another hour in today, I fought big enemies and met Pascal. I think this has grabbed me now. So much happened and loved it all. I'll try not to post every time I've done something in the game from now on, but this is gonna be a great ride.

I didn't know anything about the game, apart from people here enjoying it, Platinum being a part of it, and it showing up on a lot of best of 2017 lists. Might have watched a trailer, but don't remember much.
  • Saw the credits last night!  Thought the game was quality by maybe not to the extent of the incredible praise it has been getting.  Then - tried the new game plus mode... and I might be seeing the light!

Some thoughts

*I'm a big fan of platinum's fighting games in general, and I like the power up chips and floating turret assistant that are added to that formula.  Do wish the targeting was a little more sensible though; i sometimes find myself machine gunning a benign moose, lying down on the periphery of a brawl, instead of the hostile robots trying to kill me!

*Love the instant genre shifts!  Not sure I've seen that kind of thing in a game before!

*The story/setting/characters have mostly been of interest!  If the game were to end (properly) now I'd mostly be satisfied though it seems there's a lot to go.  There's a few question marks and bits I'm keen to see resolved.  There's already been some really inventive sections.  Thought I had a fair Idea of where the story was heading, but it wrong footed me a couple of times.

*re: audio there's nothing more I can say.  Seriously considering buying the soundtrack.

On the negative I don't think the open world is much fun to explore with its bottle necks and invisible walls.  It can be frustrating trying to get to a red spot on one side of the map and not being sure which bits you need to walk through.  Sometimes felt a bit like Spinal Tap looking for the stage.  Also the side quests are a bit - go there, kill that, come back which I can get a bit sick of after a while.  And 9S keeps hovering like a blowfly, and I go to open a box or pick up loot, and he thinks I want to talk to him.  I never want to talk to him!  

Have had some technical issues with the PC version.  Nothing too vile but I do have to play it in a window slightly smaller than my TV for it to run properly.  Not sure what's going on there.  That's about it really.  

Have a big day of nothing planned, so hopefully will put a big dent in the NG+!  Keen to see where it's heading.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Hoping to put some more time into this tonight. Got a bit distracted by the MHW demo last weekend. 

Played a bit last night but my plan to advance the story a bit didn't really work out, have been doing some sidequests in the city ruins. I do like all the characters you meet. Jean-Paul's a nice one.

Last big fight I did was
    Spoiler:

That one opened up the main map a bit more, and makes doing sidequests a lot more easier. 

Question about the fighting though, how does the evade and counter actually work? Guess when you have a perfect evade, it shows the multiple shades of your character, but when I hit either light or heavy attack after to counter, I always end up in the air without an enemy. Feel like I'm missing something there. 
    Same goes for combo's, weapons shows something like Lt4 Hv2 as a combo, I thought that'd mean 4 light attacks and 2 heavy attacks will get you a combo, but how does that work for the weapon equipped in the heavy slot? If I pick that and start the combo, you just switch weapons again...
  • Isn’t counter like a parry? Press toward the attacking enemy at the moment their attack is about to hit you and you parry the attack and counter. Classic Platinum stuff.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Looking at the combat controls in game now:
    R2: Perfect Evade (with precise timing)
    Square /Triangle /R1: Counter (with Perfect Evade)

So that's why I thought you could only counter after an evade. I'm not sure now. Doesn't mention anything about the combo's, and how it works when your weapon linked to Triangle starts with a light combo.

I'll just mash buttons to win, but would be nice if I looked a bit more gracefully.
  • Ah yeah I’m forgetting. I remember using R1 a lot cos you get a good AOE blast that you can get a lot of enemies with. 

With combos, I think it’s referring to how many hits you can do in a row with one combo-attack animation depending on whether equipped in light or heavy slot? The game isn’t as complex as the likes of Bayonetta where you can mix up both weapons and also switch weapons on the fly during a combo. Combat is rather basic in this and mashing the buttons will mostly work. :)
  • Yeah, got to admit I've mostly button mashed.  It's been a matter of using the ranged attack  constantly, dodging their attacks, then hitting attack buttons until they look like attacking you again.  Also using a couple of healing bonuses with the upgrade chips, they're really helpful.
  • Once you've got the auto-heal chips it's almost impossible to die. It's also just not very varied, despite the perspective shifts.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Good to know I'm not the only one just mashing. At the end of yesterday's session I equipped some more healing chips, am not at max slots yet so my money mainly goes to weapons and slots for now. Think I got the auto use item (which I might replace as I'm usually earlier), heal over time and heal while doing damage. I like this system, once I've unlocked more of the world I might look into different sets, noticed the "mask fishing spots" chip which I want, but would be completely useless in battle.
    So an explore chipset, attack chipset (for large groups of easy enemies), a defensive one and maybe one for bosses.

@Elf, yeah, I'm using R1 after a prefect evade the most. Seems to actually hit (still find square and triangle a bit iffy) and do some damage. Guess you're right about the combo's, probably doesn't matter that much.

I like how it's more the level design that forces you to battle a certain way than the moves you have.

I did the
    Spoiler:
    (spoiler about the area where you get to if you cross the long wooden bridge in the city ruins)
  • Gonna get round to actually playing this. Anyone on here wanna swap for something for a bit? I should go to swap shop ...
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Oh man, I know I didn't want to bump the thread the whole time, but why is this game doing this to me. Too many emotions being thrown around.

I just did the boss in the
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    (don't open second one if you don't know what the area's about in the first one. First has just an area name)

Think I have 20% of the side quests done, and I must say I enjoy them. There's a lot of nice conversation in quite a few of them.

I'm currently wearing the
    Spoiler:

So far so good. I've got some guesses about what new game / other endings might do, but I'm not thinking to much about it. It's all highly enjoyable.
  • I’m loving the bumps, Nina, just like when you did Persona 4. Keep ‘em coming.
  • Yeah Nina. If I can do it, so can you! :)

It’s always great when you come across an amazing game and can just talk away about it. Not many games let you do that. I mean I love my Zelda, clearly, but not much you can talk about. So don’t hold back! I’m enjoying reading about it and as long as you like writing about it, do it.
  • Yeah keep posting Nina. Such a great game and considering the storytelling it's always worth a bump when you hit a new bit!

And yeah, after a perfect evade you can hit the different attack buttons to do a different attack. Sometimes it's worth flicking them up into the air (should bring enemies up too) and hack away up there a bit before doing a down slam. But that can also depend on what weapon you have equipped! Including your robot gun having a different evade shot. Can also switch weapon mid combo to mix things up! It doesn't have the depth of Bayonetta but I still found it fun.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Ok ok, it is a game that needs to be talked about in the end anyway.

Did more stuff today, before what happened I wasn't even sure how much I liked it. In some ways I feel very disconnected from all of it, but as soon as there's a little (or big) scene being played, I fall in love with it. Every session leaves you with a feeling of wanting to ask questions, without ever really knowing what those questions are. Such a strange game.

Didn't do too much today, searched for someone and might have seen my favourite environment so far.
    Spoiler:

Didn't progress the main story after that, stumbled upon a
    Spoiler:
    collecting sidequest. Anyone did that one? Loved the scene towards the end for that one. The other encounters in this quest were all pretty good too.
    Spoiler:

Good stuff.

And thanks Shabby, I'll try to get a better look at the attacks after an evade, the fights today weren't really suited to that.
  • Keep at it, Nina. As Cinty kept telling me, “it gets bettter”.

Glory to Mankind!
  • JonB wrote:
    That said, E is my favourite ending.
    More than that
    Spoiler:

Well said. 
    Spoiler:
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I got an actual ending that triggered credits! My controller ran out of battery during the last fight so I had to sit in front of the ps4 on the floor as I don't have a long USB cable. The discomfort was worth it.

Liked it, am really curious about the next go, I do have a feeling where it might go, but we'll see.

Lost my body before the last boss, slightly annoying. I was distracted and got smashed
    Spoiler:

I actually thought that the
    Spoiler:
    area would be the ending. Thus connecting
    Spoiler:

Not gonna add much more, feel like it's better to jump into playthrough 2 than to try and guess where it's going. Just hope I'll see some of the characters again, the was some great character writing in this playthrough.

Edit, quickly looked into the previous pages, did I read it right and is there a trophy for
    Spoiler:
  • You don’t have to do anything you don’t want in order to get a trophy - they’re all getable via other means.

Keep going and don’t worry about anything else.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I don't care that much about the trophies right now, and I think I know what you mean about getting them.

Just felt like that was an important bit in the story, so I can see a trophy being linked to it. I loved that area, made you question some things.
  • Yeah, I get that - that area was really lovely.
  • Yeah it wass great.  Reading back it’s easier to appeciate just how many of the bits are delivered in an original way.  

Think from meeting Adam and Eve early it does a great job of topping itself and its easy to forget a lot of the original, out there beats it gives you.  Very cool to read about it later.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Making some good progress in Playthrough 2. Game has been on hold during the holidays, as I don't want B to see anything in case he wants to play. Might need to add in a couple of long sessions, as I want to have it done before MHW and I'm not going very fast.

Thoughts about P2:
    Spoiler:

Some sidequest questions
    Spoiler:

I'm enjoying this, but the flow of the game is still so weird. It feels slow in some kinda way, but time flies when playing, and when shits starts rolling it goes fast. 
    Music is getting better and better too, had some sidequests that I'd finish and a new piece kicks in. Always hang around a bit to give it a good listen, before going on. Guess that's also part of what makes the overall flow feel weird, I'm quite enjoying fishing every now and then, just rotating the camera around, listening to the sounds, watching the wildlife, keeping an eye on the pod and just dream away for a bit. Every area is just so good.
  • I got this for Christmas.  It's an odd one isn't it?

So far I've got as far as the...
    Spoiler:
    I died at the first boss and was a little frustrated by what followed, but I've kind of settled into it, and its weird lurches in play style now.  It's the story I'm playing for really though, and that feeling of expectations being upended.
    Spoiler:
    Oh, and I ate the mackerel.
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!