Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    C D E. Am a wreck.

Just to be sure, can I now safely open spoilers in this thread?

What a game...
    Spoiler:

Time to let it all sink in, and maybe go back for a side quest or two. I'm only about half way done, not sure if I can find the time to do all, maybe with the help of a guide. I'll see how I feel about it.

@Cinty, care to explain the DLC situation? Still curious about that.

And if anyone has good videos / articles / audio about this game, share some links. Would be nice to see how deep people went with the meaning of all of it.

Edit
    Went a bit back in the thread, read up to Reg's review (which is a very nice piece of writing)
    Spoiler:
  • I tried to kill him. But I charged my attack, released, missed (yes, really) and whizzed to the exit. By accident. Honestly, I’m not making it up.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The dlc is Colosseum battles and 2 Boss fights against real world Square and Platinum CEOs, plus cosmetics and music from the original NieR - it’s got a couple of fourth wall nods (the aforementioned bosses) but it’s almost purely cosmetic and nothing story-related.
  • Nina wrote:
    C D E. Am a wreck.

Just to be sure, can I now safely open spoilers in this thread?

Congrats, and yes this thread is now safe.

And I wouldn’t worry about the choice you made - most people made the same choice as you.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Urgh, lost a whole post with links to Cinty's and Reg's reviews, not have time to redo that right now. Worth to look them up after you've finished the game though.

@Elf, lol, it's quite something that a game doesn't feel like you need to finish what you were trying in the first place.

@Cinty, thanks about the DLC situation, might look into that in the future. And it's not that I'm annoyed by my actual choice, just that I misunderstood it and
    Spoiler:
  • Regret cancelling my Black Box Edition. Either would’ve loved the art book and CD. Or made a lot of money on eBay.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I started this last night, thanks to Stoph
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Thumbs up for Stoph!

Would like to read your thoughts about it, either while playing or when finished. It's such a beautiful game.
  • I currently feel like I am picking up too many sidequests that I am missing because the main missions are progressing at quite a pace.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    That's ok, do the side quests however you feel like. It's fine if you miss them.
  • I too have been playing this - still on the first scenario / play through - Soundtrack is immense and I like the variety of the combat - at a bit of a loss as to why the main character needs to look so hentai though.
  • danclarke wrote:
    I too have been playing this - still on the first scenario / play through - Soundtrack is immense and I like the variety of the combat - at a bit of a loss as to why the main character needs to look so hentai though.

Yeah, that latter issue resulted in a certain amount of eye-rolling from my wife.
    Spoiler:
    I've not had many chances to play, and am still working my way through the second play-through.
    Spoiler:
  • 2B is positively chaste compared to even the most timid anime these days, we're living in the decade of fan service.
  • Got to he desert and stopped a while back, pacing felt very slow to begin with. Sounds like it picks up though, soon as I’m done with the Witcher I’m back on this
  • Tempy wrote:
    2B is positively chaste compared to even the most timid anime these days, we're living in the decade of fan service.

Yeah, it was Persona 4 Golden and the Persona 4 anime which really brought that home to me. So much stuff done that would seem a decade ago to be the stuff of message board daydreaming. Kinda sad, tbh, but as long as it’s not too egregious I can mostly look the other way. Nier was so good that the butt focus and character design didn’t manage to detract all that much.
  • Without straying to far from NieR, it annoys me that it's often presented in disingenuous ways elsewhere. Oda, the one piece guy has been making Robin and the other women look even more ridiculous over the years, and it means I will always struggle to read or watch it. Elsewhere you had Kill La Kill that tried to be both a commentary on fan service, and full of fan service, which didn't work. At least Taro is plain with his decisions. He liked women, so his end reasoning is just "I really like Girls" which is similar to Kamiya's decision to make Bayonetta his "ideal" woman, even though she's impossible like a fashion designer's sketch.  It isn't *good* but at least it's honest. From what little of P5 i've seen, there are similarly disingenuous bits there too.
  • The issue with Persona, the way I see it, is how it has been buoyed and thrown into a mainstream RPG by those very demanding and devoted fans. The betrayals (and yes, I see them as betrayals) of the anime are supported by a fan as W which eats it up and so much of the Persona Cannon post-4 (anime, golden, Q, dancing all night, the live shows) is made in service of all of those people.

Atlus aims their output at those and fanservice isn’t a bone thrown out, it’s the meat and bones of much of their work now.
  • That’s not to write off the “have your cake and eat it” approach to both condemning and placating fanservice nerds that you raise - it’s a legit point and I’ve thought the same. It’s just that P5 isn’t that - Atlus aren’t condemning anymore.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Never had a problem with Bayonetta or 2B, and I haven't really realized there were that many panty shots in NieR. I can be pretty naive so might be that. I did notice that one secret
    Spoiler:
    I actually really like the designs, their movement is good and they got balls, in their own way.
  • Will I miss out on anything by switching to easy mode? I’ve played on normal up to this point and it’s been manageable, but I’m tempted to drop it down just so I can concentrate on story.
  • danclarke wrote:
    Will I miss out on anything by switching to easy mode? I’ve played on normal up to this point and it’s been manageable, but I’m tempted to drop it down just so I can concentrate on story.

Na, if you wanna play easy, just play easy. I enjoyed the challenge of the late, late game on normal and hard, so you might not get the same thrill but, other than that, there’s no real difference. P* have always been very generous with their difficulty modes.
  • There's probably no need to switch down though. It gets easier anyway, and certain chip set ups can make you very difficult to kill.
  • Well, it gets easier, then it gets easier, then it gets harder, and then it goes back to normal. Although, self-healing chips make it v. easy indeed.
  • I'm finding the actual combat quite annoying, it doesn't feel anywhere near as slick as a regular Platinum game, and there's usually too much going on in the animations to reliably dodge. I'm probably missing something, but so far i'm just button bashing my way through.
  • It's very basic Platinum stuff and doesn't have much depth. Rapid dodging and hitting will get you through most of it no problem, and in fact is all you can do given how visually messy it sometimes gets. 

The interesting aspect of it is really in the shifts in perspective, but it's a shame they didn't do more with the actual mechanics or enemy designs or different weapon types.
  • Just listen for the shwoom sound or the red glowy eyes.

But yeah, it's no where near as in depth as Bayonetta's combat. But I think you have to look at the combat as the same quality level as the rpg elements and the story and the platforming etc etc. It all comes together for the whole package. The combat was still slick enough to be enjoyable for me.
  • I know what the dodge tell is, it's just boring mashing dodge when 10 enemies are all chaining attacks really. Everything else is fine, I am just finding the combat a snoozefest. I haven't figured out to pull of the Platinum standard elements - air risers and dive kicks - which is impacting it a fair bit, as 2B seems to spend a lot of the time just going up in there air and only has one option to get back down as far as I can figure out.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Pro tip play this game on easiestmode and enjoy the story
  • Hard mode made combat worthwhile but that opening section with no saves was brutal. One-hit KO and restart from the beginning until reaching dat space bunker.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!