Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    On goal difference, against the worst United side in years.

But then I'm biased.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Depends if anyone else sweeps in with a giant chequebook.

Unfortunately, I think you're absolutely right.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Matters not a jot. Today was easily the most dramatic climax to a football season since Moses left Partick. If you'd submitted how it went down as a script, you'd have been laughed out of Hollywood.

cracking stuff

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Aye, I was all over the place, and I'm generally becoming less and less interested in the sport. T'was an unbelievable day.
  • The only way for a team that isn't Man Utd to win the title is to spend loads of money. With the exception of Arsenal, all of Blackburn, Chelsea and Man City could all be accused of buying the title. Spurs have had to spend a fortune to crack into the top 4. Leeds did the same before them, although they spent money they didn't have. 

But if they hadn't spent the money, they wouldn't have been able to compete for it in the first place and Man Utd would win it every year (instead of every other year).
  • The only way for any team to win it is to spend loads of money. It's not like Man U have done it on a shoestring. How much was Berbatov again?

Wenger's Arsenal probably did it the cheapest way possible, but I don't remember seeing Henry driving a 2CV home from training.
  • And Arsenal can probably still outspend all but 2 or 3 of the teams that finished below them.
  • All bar Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea I'd imagine. Anyone who spends £10m or whatever or murderspacker can't ever plead poverty again.
  • Just watching Goal of the Season on MOTD - there's been some absolute ripsnorters. 
    Van Persie's against Everton is ridiculously good. Cisse's looks like its out of a comic.
  • I think the tightness of the finish this season is more about how well United have done with a fairly cobbled together squad than a poor effort from City. Given that it's supposedly a strong top 6 or 7 this season, 89 points is pretty incredible.

It really is too late to worry about the money, that horse bolted years ago.
  • Man Utd fans complaining about City's money is akin to the aristocracy moaning about the nouveau riche.
  • It's akin to the 90's nouveau riche complaining about the next generation of nouveau riche.
  • well that was an interesting day:

Pros:
    Man utd losing the title in the last second
    Arsenal and Tottenham winning so Newcastle's defeat wasn't too important anyway.

Cons:
    QPR staying up instead of Bolton.
    Newcastle not stealing 3rd with a remarkable set of results...
    I think I've cracked a rib.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • well that was an interesting day: Pros: Man utd losing the title in the last second Arsenal and Tottenham winning so Newcastle's defeat wasn't too important anyway. Cons: QPR staying up instead of Bolton. Newcastle not stealing 3rd with a remarkable set of results... I think I've cracked a rib.

Did you get in Barton's way?
  • The thing is, we can harp on about City 'buying the league' but they didn't throw away a 2 goal lead against Everton or throw away an 8 point lead, for that matter.

It pains me to say it but we bottled it, City didn't.
  • I hope Spurs get the 4th Champions League place, they deserve it more than Chelsea over the course of 38 games.

Fucking silly rule if you ask me. I reckon the winner of the Champions League should be able to defend it but UEFA shouldn't get rid of the team that actually worked hard to get their in the domestic league of the country.

It's bollocks.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I'd have said the winner should earn the right to defend it not have it guaranteed automatically.
  • McLeish out.

ta ta

g.man
  • g.man wrote:
    McLeish out. ta ta g.man
    T'was to be expected.
    I think the problems go deeper than the manager though.
  • I'm happy for City, even if it means Tevez & Nasri get winners medals. For the most part, they are a team of likeable individuals. City fans were probably the best of the English away day boys we've had at The Grove this season (Dortmund the best of all). I hope success doesn't change them too much.
    GT: RasDam Twitter: @RasDam
  • I still don't know how McLeish got the job, let alone keep it for the whole season. The Premiership has shown him to be a terrible manager.
  • Strange appointment in the first place, there are plenty of other dour Scottish managers who could have overseen cutting Villa's wages without getting Birmingham City relegated beforehand.
  • Exactly. The media seemed to dismiss Villa fans concerns as being tribal nonsense due to his Birmingham City connection, when in fact their biggest concern was him being crap. I know many fans that gave up their tickets because of his appointment.
  • He always seems personable enough, but it's a classic case of someone with plenty of mates in the media having a couple of stinking seasons and getting very little flak for it. A foreign coach would have been pilloried for the same sequence of events.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    He takes the honour of being the worst manager in their entire history.

Alex McLeish, Billy McNeill, Tommy Docherty. Illustrious company indeed.
  • Yup. I'm sure Villa fans would react much more positively to Chris Hughton, current Brum boss, than they ever did with McLeish.
  • There's no team I'd like to see relegated more. Rigging Villa Park is akin to taking part in Takeshi's Castle.

hateful place

g.man
  • I hate having to sit in the corner at Villa Park.

Also, I met some really horrid Arsenal fans this weekend. They were a right bunch of cunts.
  • I like this method of judging premiership football teams - how difficult they are to rig. However if memory serves, Stamford Bridge gets a low rating by this criterion, so perhaps I don't like it after all.

Maybe if (when?) we move to Battersea power station things will improve for you G!

Obviously as a Chelsea fan I'm going to say that winning the cup means we should automatically be able to defend it. But if I were neutral, I'd say that actually that's bullshit. It's the Champion's League - if you finish high up enough in your domestic league, you get to take part. If you don't, you don't. I said the same about Liverpool at the time, so I must remain consistent. The problem for us is that even one year out of it would be disastrous.
  • I fancy Bayern for the final anyway.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!