Sport Club Greek Mega Thread
  • I think Dabo was the team mate in question. Side issue, Barton pays some one else to tweet from his account on occasion. Think it's safe to assume that all the controversial stuff is his own work though.
    He (Barton) suggested he'd let out info about Lineker's many skeletons!
    I doubt the papers would even print the stories.
    GT: RasDam Twitter: @RasDam
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I hope Barton gets prosecuted for assault and sent to jail again.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    RasDam wrote:
    He (Barton) suggested he'd let out info about Lineker's many skeletons!
    I doubt the papers would even print the stories.

They've been common knowledge for years and they haven't.
  • They've printed some stuff about his marriage and some affair he was having haven't they?
    What else has he been up to?
  • Eating crisps, or maybe he's not been eating crisps he is more of a Scampi fry man.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    They've printed some stuff about his marriage and some affair he was having haven't they? What else has he been up to?

Maybe they have then. My mistake. They were certainly common knowledge before they were printed.
  • Gary Neville as Woy's No. 2 then.  Was quite looking forward to the Euro's, but the thought of seeing those two gormless gits sitting in the dugout together makes me feel queasy.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Plan_M wrote:
    The thing is, we can harp on about City 'buying the league' but they didn't throw away a 2 goal lead against Everton or throw away an 8 point lead, for that matter. It pains me to say it but we bottled it, City didn't.

We both bottled it. They had a huge lead at one stage. But we lost the league on goal difference, haveing lost both games to them, and utterly capitulated in one of them to gift them 3 goals.

Imagine, if all the results had been the same, bar that game. Going into the last 2 games with a goal difference of two to make up rather than eight would have been a completely different ball game.

It pains me to say it, but they deserve the title. We'll be back next year though.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Nah, I think they're going to go from strength to strength now.

If you'd have won it would be a very different story but the psychological boost/punch in the fuck this gives is going to make a big difference next season.

I think you'll finish third at best this time next year. Probably a good time for Ferguson to go as well.
  • RasDam wrote:
    I'll go in search of his actual tweets, but he basically lays in to Shearer for commenting on the incident. Says he has no right to sasy anything cosidering that he threatened the FA with retirement for England if they dared to ban him for a red card he recieved. He managed to praise him for being a better player than himself though. Edit: He hasn't deleted a single tweet. https://twitter.com/#!/joey7barton

For those who may follow him, is this really Rooney's twitter account replying to Barton?
    [font=HelveticaNeue, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Wayne Rooney ‏ @wazzaroo08[/font]
    [font=HelveticaNeue, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]@Joey7Barton back on the super are you? Send my love to your murdering racist brother will you... Apple doesn't fall far from the tree[/font]
  • It's not on his timeline so I don't think it's him.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It would appear to be a parody account. Still, it's perfectly accurate.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Nah, I think they're going to go from strength to strength now.

If you'd have won it would be a very different story but the psychological boost/punch in the fuck this gives is going to make a big difference next season.

I think you'll finish third at best this time next year. Probably a good time for Ferguson to go as well.

I disagree with the last part of your post. Whilst we had a bad season by United's standards, we were still better than the other 18 teams in the league. We will strengthen and our younger players will be better and more importantly, have that bit of extra experience. People need to remember that we struggled with many injuries this season too - I would have liked to have seen how City did without Kompany for most of the season. We really missed Vidic, especially in the key games.

I think City will dominate for a few years now but United will be up there with them, pushing them all the way. We might not make the marquee signings but hopefully we are building a young, talented side. United really need to sign a world class midfielder to compete in all the of the competitions though. Anderson just isn't United quality and Fletcher will most likely retire or be made to find football elsewhere.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Ferguson can't go on forever. There'll never be a good time for him to go but whilst Man City are in the ascendency any Utd shortcomings under a new manager will be easier to write off so it's a better time than most.
  • Plan_M wrote:
    United really need to sign a world class midfielder to compete in all the of the competitions though. Anderson just isn't United quality and Fletcher will most likely retire or be made to find football elsewhere.
    +1. No doubt there will be a ton of Modric paper talk again, amongst others.

While the methods City have used to top the league are questionable it really is nice to see another team up there other than United (sorry united fans). The United dominance gets a bit stale after a while and they haven't had a serious challenger since Chelsea a few years back.
    Revel in the excitement is what I say if it makes for day like Sunday then good.
  • @Mod74,

Ferguson is the key, I agree. But we just don't know what is around the corner.

We've had 20 glorious years and I've seen my club win every trophy there is to win. If we have to take a backseat and watch someone else win the big prizes, then so be it. We couldn't have gone on winning the major competitions forever - no team in the world sustains that.

It's such an interesting league - and I'm happy a different team have won it, the Man United/Chelsea rivalry was becoming boring. Our derbies actually mean something now - yes it hurts seeing them win it but it could be worse, I couldn't handle watching Liverpool dominate again, for example, as I had to endure as a kid.

Money rules football now. And if we get taken over by oil money, I wouldn't complain.
  • I'd rather go back to being a Plc.
  • Also, finish third? Behind who exactly?
  • It really looks like United and City for the foreseeable future, with City having the momentum (and finances) to push on from here. Unless someone else gets taken over by multi-billionaires and splashes the cash around in a reckless fashion. Despite the Champions League Final Chelsea have an aging squad who can't go on forever and are likely to be out-bidded by City for any of the real talents out there. Arsenal and Spurs are several rungs beneath the Manchester clubs, happy with an annual champions league berth and the odd cup run. 

We're nowhere near any of those clubs unfortunately.

Fergie could drag any old shit to the top or near the top of the table. He'll probably have one final triumph up his sleeve before he shuffles off upstairs to become the bane of any future United manager's life.
  • Chelsea losing to Bayern will create a very interesting dynamic indeed. As you say they have a very old squad, and it needs a drastic overhaul. But how will they do that without Champions League football?

Arsenal if they keep Van Persie could make things interesting. I can't see them suffering the same start to the season again.

Liverpool are as you say, miles away. But what if you got rid of King Kenny for say Brendan Rogers?
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    Arsenal and Spurs are several rungs beneath the Manchester clubs, happy with an annual champions league berth and the odd cup run.
    No we're not.
    Chelsea losing to Bayern will create a very interesting dynamic indeed. As you say they have a very old squad, and it needs a drastic overhaul. But how will they do that without Champions League football? Arsenal if they keep Van Persie could make things interesting. I can't see them suffering the same start to the season again. Liverpool are as you say, miles away. But what if you got rid of King Kenny for say Brendan Rogers?
    No Champions League football for Chelsea will just mean that they have to pay more to sign a star player. The same way that Liverpool & City brought in Suarez & Robinho respectively.
  • I reckon Martinez would be a fantastic bit of business should Liverpool's owners approach him. Rodgers is also a fine manager but I would like to see how he does in this 2nd and 3rd seasons before going overboard about him. But what he's done with Swansea, and the way they play - has all been because of Rodgers.
  • @Ras Well, yeah obviously most fans would want to see their team compete for the league. Arsenal seem to have far more ground to make up than the Manc clubs though. Although Van Persie on the form of this season and staying fit all year would be massively helpful. Wenger needs to find his transfer mojo again. Gervinho, lolz.

Although we've even further than Arsenal to make up, so I can't really take the piss there.

I don't really care for Rogers or Martinez much, although both are decent managers and seem like nice blokes. But then the season has been such a mess Dalglish can't have much credit left with the owners.
  • Martinez laid the foundations for what Rodgers has done at Swansea.
  • RasDam wrote:
    Martinez laid the foundations for what Rodgers has done at Swansea.

Yep, I posted this very thing a few pages back. What most people don't realise is that apparantly Huw Jenkins, chairman at Swansea City, insisted in the interview with Rodgers is that he expected Swansea to play the same way that they did under Martinez i.e. the short passing, possession football. And boy, didn't Rodgers get it right.
  • @LarryDavid Arsene's acclaimed scouting network came up with Gervinho, Park, and Chamakh. Newcastle bought Ben Arfa, Ba, and Cisse all from the same league. It's bloody shameful. I don't know what the hell Wenger is up to. I'm so thankful for that 8-2 spanking we got at Old Trafford as we wouldn't have brought in Arteta, Santos, Mertesacker. Benayoun, and the invisible man Park without it.

@Plan_M I'm tempted to say that Martinez is the better manager as he's turned Wigan in to a proper bogey team for us.
  • RasDam wrote:
    @LarryDavid Arsene's acclaimed scouting network came up with Gervinho, Park, and Chamakh. Newcastle bought Ben Arfa, Ba, and Cisse all from the same league. It's bloody shameful. I don't know what the hell Wenger is up to. I'm so thankful for that 8-2 spanking we got at Old Trafford as we wouldn't have brought in Arteta, Santos, Mertesacker. Benayoun, and the invisible man Park without it. @Plan_M I'm tempted to say that Martinez is the better manager as he's turned Wigan in to a proper bogey team for us.

I dont need to tell you that all three of the players you mentioned were pretty incredible in France during their time there. 

It seems to be less them being bad players and more their lack of adaptability within Arsenal/London/Premier League.
  • Martinez was another name I considered mentioning.
  • Nonsense. Chamakh was not incredible. He's never been incredible. His goal scoring record has never been that of a prolific goalscorer. The best spell of his entire career was his first few months for Arsenal.

Gervinho did well last season, but he wasn't Lille's main man. He seems to make a habit of going somewhere for two years and moving on. He started out okay for us, and then the ACN came along and ruined him. So we can expect something similar next year.

Everyone was surprised we bought Park. He'd been playing for Ligue 1 relegation battlers for a spell and was going to join Lille as third choice striker before we snuck in and brought him to Colney to collect the cones after training. His signing more than any makes no sense.
  • I wasn't moaning yesterday.

EDIT: Something for Gooners to be proud of. We're the first sports team in the world to make £100m in a year through ticket sales!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!