Sport Club Greek Mega Thread
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Guardian saying Alexis Sanchez is Chelsea's main target this summer.

I swear, I'll go fucking postal.

Arsenal fan Andy?

Of course, as a Scot you would support the south London team that moved North
  • Loving the debate today about video refs. I just can't understand the argument against, however I try. The benefits outweigh these imaginary costs tenfold.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    imo it's not the costs that are the problem

I don't want to be in a situation where I'm no longer cheering a piece of skill by a player but cheering the fact that some guy knows how to watch telly properly
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Why would you stop cheering a piece of skill by a player?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    If it comes in properly, then it will end up being used far too often. You see it in Rugby all the time, if there's even the mildest murmur of dissent or slight chance of any ambiguity it goes to the video ref. Then your cheers are curtailed and you wait for confirmation, that strikes at the very heart of what spectating sport is actually all about
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • P'raps they could give the manager one Community Chest question-a-decision card per game.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You still cheer a goal whether it's later ruled out or not. It happens now. That won't change, but they will get more of the important decisions right, which is surely better for everyone?

Wrong decisions strike at the very heart of sport.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    You still cheer a goal whether it's later ruled out or not. It happens now. That won't change, but they will get more of the important decisions right, which is surely better for everyone? Wrong decisions strike at the very heart of sport.

Corruption and match fixing strike at the heart of sport

Incorrect decisions, ambiguity, these things create a narrative
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That sounds like the ''If refs got every decision right there's nowt to talk about down the pub!" sort of bollocks you hear when this is brought up.

The match already has a narrative, it would be a better one without a cock up from a ref spoiling it.
  • The best narrative a match has is that it was decided by how well the players did, not that there was an incorrect decision.
  • 9cGsld3.jpg
    Saw this earlier. Just brilliant :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • cockbeard wrote:
    If it comes in properly, then it will end up being used far too often. You see it in Rugby all the time, if there's even the mildest murmur of dissent or slight chance of any ambiguity it goes to the video ref. Then your cheers are curtailed and you wait for confirmation, that strikes at the very heart of what spectating sport is actually all about

Nah it's used like it was last night. Perfect use. Important game changing decisions. Goals and penalties. Too much money, interest and footage of the game now to be so crude. Gabbiadini and his FA cup final goal. Lampard against Germany. Italy throughout World Cup 2002...

Last night was perfect and every decision was bang on because of it. Winning and losing fairly.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    You still cheer a goal whether it's later ruled out or not. It happens now. That won't change, but they will get more of the important decisions right, which is surely better for everyone? Wrong decisions strike at the very heart of sport.

Corruption and match fixing strike at the heart of sport

Incorrect decisions, ambiguity, these things create a narrative

Going back to that, video replays will go some way to stopping corruption too. As it stands, the split second decision of a knackered middle aged bloke shuffling about the pitch with a view obscured by players is what we're using for a definitive decision. That middle aged bloke might drop a genuine clanger in the heat of the moment, but he might also be as bent as Arry Redknapp's dog and is knowingly giving pens/cards against a particular team.

Video replays will mean we see fewer of these howlers/bent calls affect games, as they can't hide behind the split second heat of the moment thing any more, and it'll be an obvious scandal if a decision is clearly wrong but still given after watching three replays which contradict the ref's call.
  • Today's Daily Telegraph has quoted Alexis Sanchez as saying "I love life in London, but I want to play with a team that has a winning mentality." Chelsea move is on! Lol
  • Can probably rule out Leyton Orient.
  • 'I've had hundreds of questions about Arsenal and Leyton Orient,' he told ESPN. 'What do you want me to say? That I'm going or I'm staying?

'I don't know about the future, only God knows it. I can't say any more.

'Great players are always hounded by great clubs. It's a normal situation.

'There are other great players who are in the market who are good and who other clubs want.

'I have always been hounded, not only this year. It's not strange for me, to see what happens.'
  • Wait, that's a different statue.
  • A statue of his knob by the looks of it.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Today's Daily Telegraph has quoted Alexis Sanchez as saying "I love life in London, but I want to play with a team that has a winning mentality." Chelsea move is on! Lol
    If Sanchez goes Ozil will go. That leaves the squad looking pretty damn average.
    Wilshere looks to be moving on. Welbeck is taking up Wilshire's spot on the physio table.

I'm really struggling to think of top class Arsenal players at that point. I like Giroud but I feel he lacks that grit to be top level. Bellerin is good but there are rumours today that he wants out.
  • Ozil is a weird one. I think for all his footballing class he can really affect a team badly and it becomes a bit of a death spiral. I'm not convinced real let him go lightly.
  • He has runs of genius I just don't think he is all that bothered about Arsenal.
  • I always feel like they are to a point, then when it's clear they aren't going to win anything a number of them find it difficult to give 100%. Which is wrong but understandable. I can't see Arsenal winning anything major for a time. They're simply not good enough.
  • It's clearly bollocks to say they aren't good enough when Leicester can win the title.
  • Leicester were an anomaly though in a very odd season, every team that enters could win in theory but it doesn't make very particularly interesting discussion.

If you compare Arsenal to the other teams at the top end of the table they are the only ones moving backwards.
    Liverpool, Man U, Man City will all be tailing off a transition period. Spurs look stronger every year. Everton, if they can keep Lukaku look like they will be stronger than Arsenal at this stage. It isn't an absolute to say they aren't good enough but the probability is that they won't win it.
    Rumours are rumours but all the rumours surrounding Arsenal at the moment are about players wanting to leave, that is never a good sign.
  • It's clearly bollocks to say they aren't good enough when Leicester can win the title.

So you're saying they are good enough, and that's why they've won it recently?

They're not good enough and haven't been for a long time, Leicester were last year and aren't this year, I don't know what else you want me to say? The proof is in them not winning it for a long time surely?
  • In a way, the fact that Leicester won it shows Arsenal aren't good enough. If ever there was a year to win it for Arsenal it was last year.
  • JonB wrote:
    In a way, the fact that Leicester won it shows Arsenal aren't good enough. If ever there was a year to win it for Arsenal it was last year.

That and the fact they haven't won it for ages and won't for ages. If they do then I'll eat my words. But Arsenal simply aren't competitive or progressive enough in any way shape or form to win a title.
  • I think arse have the skill and players to win every game they play though.

The premier league is a much of muchness in terms of quality and arsenal clearly have enough gun players to win games.

They should beat 75 percent of the league based on raw quality imo.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!