Schalke v Man City
    Atletico Madrid v Juventus
    Man Utd v PSG
    Tottenham v Borussia Dortmund
    Lyon v Barcelona
    Roma v Porto
    Ajax v Real Madrid
    Liverpool v Bayern Munich

There was no easy draw for Spurs but I'm happy with Dortmund, only better outcome was maybe Porto iirc.
    Looks like a good round.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Easy win there.

No such thing, but it's probably the best we could have got.
  • PSG, good good.  Hopefully we can tap up Mbappe at half time.
  • I started supporting Man United when Lineker fucked off to Japan and I needed a new favourite player (and team as it transpired - enter Mark Hughes, who played for my dad's team rather than my mum's).  I love a bit of armchair fandom, I haven't missed more than two live games a season since streaming became a thing.  I plan my free time around them, but if you gave me tickets to see United play at Crystal Palace/Millwall (closest teams to my house) and paid for my Uber I'd say nope.  I love my armchair too much.  Other games I'll watch: All England tournament matches, England friendlies if I'm 'scouting' someone we're linked with or if a United player I like is playing, and the occasional big game in the pub.  I like football but it's only the Man U games I'm bonkers for (and I don't tend to enjoy those any more).  If they're not involved I'm generally not too fussed.  I only watched two non-England WC18 games and the CL can gtf as soon as we're out.  

I also like the transfer windows a lot.
  • Who cares if people support more than one team, or indeed if they support a team they weren’t born within half a mile of? It’s only football, and it’s only the internet.

Unless you really are the most glory hunting, plastic, fair weather fan it doesn’t really bother me.

There was a lad at school who ‘supported’ United, then switched to Blackburn halfway through the next season when they looked like they might win the title (and did). When Blackburn had a bit of a poor start to their title defense the following year he got the Man United gear out of the closet and went back to being the reddest of Red Devil’s.

He was a prick though.
  • I went to school with someone who supported 14 out of 16 teams in the same league.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Poor show from the two teams he felt weren’t worthy of his support.
  • Well he only supports one of those two teams now, so it worked out in the end. All credit to the boys; they dug deep when it counted and left nothing on the field. It was a game of two halves, after all.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Spurs and City with the best draws there I reckon. Liverpool have a tough tie but I think they'll be OK. Utd are up against it with PSG.

I think PSG got the best draw really
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    LarryDavid wrote:
    Who cares if people support more than one team, or indeed if they support a team they weren’t born within half a mile of? It’s only football, and it’s only the internet.

I kinda care, and I shouldn't, but I kinda do. I'd grow up seeing kids in Liverpool, Everton and later Man Utd and Arsenal shirts. Some of them would come to Dean Court, but many wouldn't, lots would go up the road to Southampton just to watch 'big' teams play there. Given the money situations our club have always had, it seemed like a slap in the face from those folk, I'd be constantly trying to take mates to the football, to try and get the bug into them like it was into me

Was amazed when I moved to Derby to see all the kids going to school wearing Derby merch, taking pride (unintended pun) in their club, in almost every pub the conversation would turn to the footy at some point. I was jealous that my club never had that, and also admired the city for that reason

Skip forward a few years and wow, this last decade has been crazy. I see all these folk suddenly at Dean Court, all the Johnny Come-Latelys and Jimmy Two-Clubs, claiming that they always supported us. It kinda pees me off, and like I said above, it shouldn't, but seeing the sacrifices many made for the well being of the club, hearing this guff from folk that didn't really like football, but wanted to see the latest big names after it became 'cool' at Italia 90, seemed to devalue the hard work put in by others before them

I'm all for new fans, I want as many people as possible to watch my club, just don't like all the rubbish some of them spout. Listening to them talk you'd think we were getting 30k attendances week in week out in Lg2. But then being insular is a very common trait in Bournemouth, we call outsiders grockles, and get upset that they're summer homes are always empty. We had a fanzine called 'Not the 8502' which was the difference between the first and last home attendance of the season we got promoted to the old Div 2, clearly stating that it's not for those Johnny Come-Latelys. SO I guess all in all, we're not the friendly community club we claim to be, but in reality a bunch of curmudgeonly old men
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • If sport isn't at least a little bit tribal it loses all meaning.
  • Who'd have a summer home in Bournemouth?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Who'd have a summer home in Bournemouth?

Grockles, that's who
  • Spurs and City with the best draws there I reckon.

Liverpool have a tough tie but I think they'll be OK. Utd are up against it with PSG.

Dortmund are one of the teams of the season so far and one you'd want to avoid. Very tough draw for spurs.

Can see Atletico doing juventus. Liverpool v Bayern could be close.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Spurs and City with the best draws there I reckon. Liverpool have a tough tie but I think they'll be OK. Utd are up against it with PSG.

PSG are in the qf already. As good as done already.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Ahh, Dulwich Hamlet, and one of my favourite kits, the singer in a mates band is a fan

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:

:-D
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That Liverpool draw looks like it has the potential to be an absolute banger.
  • Mourinho sacked!
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Bollocks.

He was doing a great job. Got his big pay off though, so he’ll be delighted.
  • Had to happen. A few days of wild replacement suggestions incoming, mainly ex-players.
  • Looking at their next six fixtures, apart from the Spurs match, I’d consider them all winnable for Utd.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Personally I would've went with Pep Guardiola, at least 'e woulda brought a Barca style o' play!
  • Given some of his decisions this season I reckon he cynically targeted that big fat compensation pay out quite early on. McTominay at centre-back? The endless spats with his own players?

Maybe he’s even been cooking Lukaku’s fried breakfasts for him as that lad looks fat as fuck.

On one level it’s sad he’s going as he was dragging them down so low and forcing such misery on them but then on the other ... he’s an absolute turd of a man and hopefully this is the last we’ll see of him and his egocentric antics in England.
  • I_R wrote:
    Had to happen. A few days of wild replacement suggestions incoming, mainly ex-players.

Theresa May

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!