Games eliciting emotional responses
  • @Mootsy Same here. Since my boy was born stuff that wouldn't have registered before has seen me bawling my eyes out. There was an advert on recently for a supermarket home delivery service which reunited a lonely old woman with her daughter, had me welling up. An advert for a supermarket FFS.

• I found Life is Strange way, way more moving then The Last Guardian. I think this is because it was showing a relationship, not asking me to form one myself with something I essentially couldn't see as real. I feel this is important to the discussion, but can't be bothered with much more than that.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    ICO moved me to tears. Final, final bit. Spec Ops made me question myself as a player, which it's very very rare for a game to do.

Besides that, just mainly joy and humour. PT makes me shite meself too.
  • AJ wrote:
    I found Life is Strange way, way more moving then The Last Guardian. I think this is because it was showing a relationship, not asking me to form one myself with something I essentially couldn't see as real. I feel this is important to the discussion, but can't be bothered with much more than that.
    Life is Strange nailed the directorial aspects too with music and scene setting plus development of cliched yet hugely likeable characters.

Most emotionally impacting game I've played if you discount fear. Project Zero scared the shit out of me but it's an easier feeling to elicit.
  • Heh I don't remember Life is Strange being very emotional at all. Just one or two little bits.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I could say similar about Last Guardian, though. I was welling up a bit at the end of Life is Strange.

I also felt things playing SteamWorld Dig, but I was exceptionally stoned playing that, was making up my own back story and thought the tech blocks looked like contorted faces.
  • AJ wrote:
    I could say similar about Last Guardian, though. I was welling up a bit at the end of Life is Strange.

I'm sure you could. Different people find different things emotional, which is why I'm not sure there's much to say on this topic. I'm not sure why some people think games can't evoke emotions though when they clearly already have done so in a lot of people. It's different person to person.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I'm not sure there's much to say on this topic. I'm not sure why some people think games can't evoke emotions though when they clearly already have done so in a lot of people.

These two things are exactly my current stance on the thread.
  • I'm not sure anyone has said they can't, just that it hadn't happened for them.
    Plus it is a good place to talk about what games have evoked what emotions.
  • Maybe not, there has been some poor phrasing and I'm not paying much attention.
  • Bayonetta makes me feel super competent and cool.
  • Bayonetta makes me cringe so much I want to peel a layer of my skin off.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It is the worst of games
  • It was the best of games, it was the worst of games...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Thought this was pretty interesting:

emotions-fractl-190814.jpg

Robert Plutchik's wheel of emotion is pretty stoic, but as a simple quantification it's close to inarguable.

With this illustration in mind, it's fair to say that the games we enjoy are certainly capable of directly eliciting awe, aggression, contempt and possibly optimism, but some of those other ideas... Particularly the likes of sadness, disapproval, love and acceptance, are very rarely even targeted... Let alone successfully triggered.

Did anyone ever really cry at Aeris' death?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Why Aeris and and not another character from a different game? If that's allowed, then yes. I cried at a characters death. It filled me with sadness. So games can evoke sadness.
  • Did anyone ever really cry at Aeris' death?
    Who?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • The main baddy from God of War.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Did anyone ever really cry at Aeris' death?
    Who?

Aerith... My bad...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    No... Wait...

I was right the first time...

Fml... She's a character in a Final Fantasy game.
  • Depends if you have a lisp or not.
  • Did anyone ever really cry at Aeris' death?

I welled up, which is the most any media's achieved. Dunno how much of that was because I was loosing my main healer, but I was a lot younger.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Crying at anime shit lol dorks.

I never cried watching Grave of the Fireflies, swear on me mum.
  • Crying at media shit lol dorks.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Crying at anime shit lol dorks. I never cried watching Grave of the Fireflies, swear on me mum.

I'm pretty sure I cried at that, and any time I've eaten tempura since, I'm in someway very grateful for it.
  • Have to disagree with tiger. Didn't find Life is Strange emotional at all, but maybe that's because I didn't like the characters. Max was okay, if a little whiney, but the girl with the blue hair was horrendous. Standard teenage angst with additional whining, but she's really cool or pretends to be and she doesn't really have close friends and oh being a teenager is so difficult.

Fuck off and write a better character.

Hmmmm....it appears that Life is Strange elicits an angry response from me.
  • I wasn't overly bothered about any of the characters, but I thought Max's feelings for Chloe were will communicated and had empathy for her.
  • I've yet to play a game that packs the emotional wallop of a film like Amour, or the letters home from the night before the big push in the novel Birdsong, or a song like Guy Clark's Let Him Roll, or when Andi Peters left Live & Kicking, or when John Lithgow slapped Harry and told him that they didn't want him living with them anymore, or the bit in Band of Brothers where it reveals the names of the old men who have been talking before each episode...

I'm all for it if it happens, but like Kow said on the previous page it feels like they're still a fair way off.  Gears of War isn't a great example as it failed so miserably, but someone thumbing a tattered photograph of their dead wife before roaring and running at the enemy just isn't going to cut it, and sums up a lot of ham fisted attempts at eliciting an emotional response.  I'm putting most of my faith in walking sims for pushing things forward.  Firewatch in particular did some neat things with its narrative.
  • Gone Home never gets mentioned and should. That managed to make me worried and relieved with the end section.
  • I think the most feels I have had was when I accidentally let Wrex die in Mass Effect but I could just reload the save.

I also remember shouting Noooooo down the mic when Dim died in Gears 3. My mate thought it was because I cared but actually I realised quickly that I was going to have to be one of the even shitter side characters for the remainder Of The campaign.

I cried when my Pokemon Blue save corrupted with 149 Pokemon.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!