Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    @crayon the problem for me is that it is trying to ape tv/film. Most of the attempts at emotion are done through cutscenes so you only see them once. In between, you're off massacring small armies so any little emotional depth gained is quickly lost. My point is that putting cinematic attempts at emotional depth into games doesn't work for me at all.

I completely get that. There was a cut scene in Uncharted 4
    Spoiler:
    Massive disconnect.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Jaco wrote:
    I don't get particularly emotional about anything in games because games. As opposed to reality.

What about films or books?
  • Jaco wrote:
    I don't get particularly emotional about anything in games because games. As opposed to reality.
    What about films or books?

I guess I'm just very aware that what I'm watching isn't real, so it struggles to connect. On the other hand, the 6 o'clock news can have me in pieces.

Films occasionally hit me, but only if it's very 'real' (The Boy in The Striped Pyjamas nearly killed me, and I won't talk about The House of Sand and Fog). Only two books have ever elicited much more than an emotional twitch, both by Cormac McCarthy: The Road and No Country For Old Men. Never come across anyone that evokes atmosphere through prose in the way he does. The Road took me weeks to recover from.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • I've come to the conclusion I am broadly immune to the wiles of fiction too, really. Can appreciate craft and what a piece is trying to elicit but it's never actually affecting when compared with very ordinary IRL experiences and observations, even second-hand.

In that context, the best a piece of fiction can be, any medium, is elegant.

Or funny. Humour is a massive exception to the rule. Make me lol like a cunt and I will appreciate you.

You can make me feel really queasy too I guess if your gore effects are amazing, or your politics as expressed absolutely fucking suck.

Frustration's a pretty pertinent one to videogames, but I think the narrative payoffs of going for that are really limited. "I simulated this challenging situation and guess what, it's really annoying!" o i see
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bookwise , The Road did a number on me, probably because I have kids now. When I was pretty young I did have an emotional response to On The Beach - I did actually shed a tear at that.

Nothing else springs to mind though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Hmmm. It seems the old gits of the forum (guilty, m'lud) are less affected. World weariness working its "magic"?
  • Quite the opposite for me. Never shed a tear for books or films until much later in life and things set me off easily now.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • One of us is broken. And I'm worried that it's probably me.
  • Films have regularly left me a proper mess. A lot of the usual suspects - but not The Usual Suspects. Heaven and earth is the granddaddy of that though. Talk about right in the feels.

Games, I fall somewhere between Brooks and my reaction to films.

No gibbering full on tears, but the odd I have something in my eye, and the odd that was well done. Sotc shout out.

First bioshock tape recordings and the hospital/plastic surgeon got something out of me.

There was a splinter cell I've mentioned before that had a mission where you shot an unarmed woman at the start. Not a qte, just your boss shouting at you to do it. Did it first time on the fly. Made me uncomfortable.

The division has been interesting. Voice work for main story is whatever, but I think actors find the audio pick up stuff much easier to perform well in, and the writers seem better at it too. Given the random nature of the game, I've had a couple of weather/time of day/npc action/audio tape combinations that have been emotionally interesting.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Godfather III gets a lot of shit thrown at it, but the scene on the opera steps when all of Michael's dealings over the years rebound on him in a single moment of horror punches me in the gut now.

Probably a post-having-kids thing - esp. with them being daughters.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Quite the opposite for me. Never shed a tear for books or films until much later in life and things set me off easily now.

Ditto.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Bollo's Paper's Please reference resonates with me. It actually gets pretty close to at least inciting fleeting moments of the likes of regret, righteousness and pride quite consistently, and for very little in terms of technical leverage.

Remembered feeling just a bit stupid for allowing a mass murderer through the turnstile...

Clever game.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I didn't get far cos I got bored of playing Spot-the-difference/inconsistency.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    That's true. It's not the most exciting game, but the writing's interesting, and well tied to the game itself. 

I liked P4G too... It's writing made you care, as the characters were so good.

Ah... That reminds me.

Parts of Grim Fandango stuck with me. Again, for the writing. My best memories of that game had very little to do with the interactive experience.

Does that count?

Many people remember Monkey Island as a funny game, for example.
    Would you have remembered those characters as well in a film, for example?

I'm guessing you would...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • On the odd occasion games can touch a nerve, here or there. TLOU with the animals was quite affecting (although shoved down your throat).

But, the actual playing of games at the expense of other activities is more likely to impact emotionally. That stolen hour on Overwatch during the day has me considering whether it would be better spent with the kids at the park. I do a lot with them though so this thought process only really hits me if I'm feeling a bit down or self-conscious. Gaming and family life don't have to mutually exclusive but the balance has to be right otherwise I feel like a selfish git and neglecting parental responsibilities.

Thankfully, my kids are at an age where I can support junior during Dragon Quest Builders whilst experiencing the emotional bond of TLG with senior.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    ICO moved me to tears. Final, final bit.

This. Other than that a tear started to form towards the end of Dear Esther and Gone Home recently.

Rez Area 5 leaves me on an emotional high so I'm intrigued to see what difference PS VR will make...
  • Some of you goiys deffo had a blub over Mordin Solus in ME3, I can't believe that hasn't come up yet. 

I was all cried out by the end of the Overlord DLC in ME2 so I just took it like a man.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Nice thread!
    The stand out for me is TLOU.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Sarah?
  • Ellie runs away and you find her in a room... remember that bit? That bit got me.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    That guy and his bf hanging himself to escape the boredom is probably the most fucked up thing in Last of. And it's almost delivered like comedy bizarrely.
  • Very few games elicit emotion in me, The Beginner's Guide was probably the last one.
  • anger, disbelief, denial, depression, blind rage, joy, tears. 

fighting games

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!