What was the first game you remember playing?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    A BBC Micro Sinistar port.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • All these early in my life at some point:
    Some 3D Maze game on the BBC Micro at school
    Some handheld Space Invaders clone at home
    Donkey Kong Game & Watch

First proper console game was Alex Kidd in Miracke World round my cousin's place
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It's nice to see most of us here are from the same generation. There was a similar thread to this on Neogaf today and some of the results were horrifying, people mentioning PS2 games etc...

My first gaming memory is Scuba Dive on the Speccy.
  • Probably this....

Thumb_Planetoids_-_1982_-_Sinclair_Research_Ltd..jpg

It's all been downhill since then.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Scout wrote:
    It's nice to see most of us here are from the same generation. There was a similar thread to this on Neogaf today and some of the results were horrifying, people mentioning PS2 games etc...

My first gaming memory is Scuba Dive on the Speccy.

Yeah I saw the same post on VGChartz, made me feel old.

At least here we're old farts together.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Probably this....

Thumb_Planetoids_-_1982_-_Sinclair_Research_Ltd..jpg

It's all been downhill since then.

Looks like what No Man's Sky wished it was.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'm sure it's a Grandstand pong/lightgun thing. But the first game I remember playing was Circus on the 2600, followed by Combat and Space Invaders.
  • A thing on the ZX spectrum where you had to rescue people in a space ship. Can't remember the name.
    Defender clone?

That was mine, on a shitty white thing that played atari but wasn't atari.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Is it that side scrolling alien clone goober?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    A thing on the ZX spectrum where you had to rescue people in a space ship. Can't remember the name.
    Defender clone? That was mine, on a shitty white thing that played atari but wasn't atari.
    Tempy wrote:
    Is it that side scrolling alien clone goober?

Yeah, a side scrolling thing. Defender rings a bell.  Might have been called guardian?
  • Scout wrote:
    It's nice to see most of us here are from the same generation. There was a similar thread to this on Neogaf today and some of the results were horrifying, people mentioning PS2 games etc... My first gaming memory is Scuba Dive on the Speccy.

Oh god, I just looked up this same topic on Giant bomb's forum and someone said they technically played pokemon red first, but couldn't read at the time as they were too young and they had to take it back...

I think I'm still relatively young. But nope.
  • Facewon wrote:
    A thing on the ZX spectrum where you had to rescue people in a space ship. Can't remember the name.
    Defender clone? That was mine, on a shitty white thing that played atari but wasn't atari.
    Tempy wrote:

Yeah, a side scrolling thing. Defender rings a bell.  Might have been called guardian?

is it a defender clone or like a survival horror on a big ship?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    is it a defender clone or like a survival horror on a big ship?

Just watched a few videos. Definitely a defender clone. Almost identical but I'm sure I remember having to collect the little dudes on the ground to stop the aliens getting them.
  • Yep. You had the one I had then. Gaphics more rudimentary then the vids on youtube.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Some basic ten pin bowling game for the ZX81 that I had to key in from the manual.  Utter shite.

If we are talking handhelds then it was this:

DSCF8502.jpg

Absolutely rinsed the knackers off it, it died eventually.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Add me to the pong variant group. I recall also having a space invaders one off handheld shaped like a mini arcade cabinet. Perhaps my childhood wasn't quite as poverty stricken as I thought, ungrateful little brat.
    Things can only get better.
  • I think it was either 3D Monster Maze or some Star Trek game on the ZX81.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Webbins wrote:
    Some basic ten pin bowling game for the ZX81 that I had to key in from the manual.  Utter shite.

If we are talking handhelds then it was this:

DSCF8502.jpg

Absolutely rinsed the knackers off it, it died eventually.
    Fucking hell! I had one of those - had completely forgotten about it.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Facewon wrote:
    Tempy wrote:

Drop zone?
  • Definitely Pong or early clone, twisty nobs to move the paddles.
    Can-of-sprite
  • I can remember when my uncle worked for Asda being taken to the store and allowed to play the demo Tomy 3D things and thinking they where amazing ... it was directly related to this that after the the zx81 we got a memotech computer that had no support at all - good times
    The Forum Herald™
  • I had the blue spaceship aliens Tomy 3D.  I'm surprised that and the copious amounts of teenage masturbation haven't rendered me sightless.  Although that is just a myth though... Tomy 3Ds never blinded anybody.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It was either Granny's Garden or this (at a friend's house):

^It's a shame that this guy didn't recognise any patterns, 'cause the later levels were cool.
  • Again, Defender or a knock off of it. On my Dad's Electron, I didn't understand what you were supposed to do but soon realised that the game made a cool laser noise when you pressed fire, which was enough to keep me happy.

Also remember playing Asteroids, again having no conception of the purpose of the game but being quite impressed by whatever it was that was happening on the screen.
  • First proper memories of playing a game I think are an old pc game called Castle. Was very rudimentary with all the graphics made out of text, and involved exploring a castle. I doubt I was any good at it but used to watch my sister and her friend play it.
    http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/226/Castle+Adventure.html

I'd played a bit on a spectrum (Horace goes skiing, boxy boa) before this, but barely remember that at all.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    My old man bought a Spectrum in 1982 and it came with Flight Simulator and Chess, both by Psion. Flight Simulator was written completely in Basic and ran like a dog. I was not wowed at all, the best thing about Psion games was the box art. The Spectrum went back in its box and didn't come out again until about a year and a half later, when Ultimate games started to appear. I don't remember how I discovered them.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!