What was the first game you remember playing?
  • Andy wrote:
    I don't remember what it was called but it was on PC around 1993. It was a 2D side scrolling game. You controlled a barbarian type chap. You threw axes at stuff. I feel like it had 'wrath' in the title. A bit like Altered Beast without the wolf part in play style.
    This?

OMG YES, well done. Ah the member berries. I was so young (8 ish?) and so shit i never got to the end of the first level. I remember that horse so well it seemed amazing.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Probably Sam & Max Hit the Road on my dad's work laptop. Made me the poster i am today. Booting through DOS when i was 6 to laugh at Max getting the commissioner's orders from the street cat for the Xth time
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Blew my mind when i got older and learnt it had voice acting. For some reason only subs worked on that laptop.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I remember Gorf was the loudest game in any arcade.
  • It was rare for a laptop in those days to have a proper sound chip.

Still, VGA graphics - hell, bitmap graphics - you didn't know you were born.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I check my priv everyday mate.
  • First game I can recall is Star Raiders on the Atari 400. I spent a long time chasing that one down as I think I must have been 3 or 4 when playing/watching it and I don't recall much beyond the star field, the sound effects and the warp screen.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Not my privy.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    voices wrote:
    First game I can recall is Star Raiders on the Atari 400. I spent a long time chasing that one down as I think I must have been 3 or 4 when playing/watching it and I don't recall much beyond the star field, the sound effects and the warp screen.

The Atari 400 / 800 were objects of desire for me. I really liked the look of them as they had a cartridge port as well as disc or tape loading. They of course had Atari as 1st party dev. 

Star Raiders was one of the first games to prompt a newspaper article about some guy who got hooked on it and smashed his TV in frustration.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • MuseChick
    Show networks
    Twitter
    MuseChick
    Xbox
    MuseChick
    PSN
    MuseChick
    Steam
    musechick

Send message
    First thing I can remember playing was Guild of Thieves on our Amstrad PCW. Black and green screen and obviously on a floppy disk. I was very, very young and I used to watch my Dad play it, remember what he did and look at the notes he'd made to make any progress, I was way too young to work anything out myself but I loved playing it. That game taught me how to spell cushion and cupboard.
  • Yeah, you don't get that from games these days. The amount of things I learnt to spell because of Sierra's games...
  • These younglings don't even know what going north even means.
  • Webbins wrote:
    Some basic ten pin bowling game for the ZX81 that I had to key in from the manual.  Utter shite. If we are talking handhelds then it was this: DSCF8502.jpg Absolutely rinsed the knackers off it, it died eventually.

Yeah,that was the first game that came to mind but thinking more about brought back memories of this:

ehmorVo.jpg
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    What was that adventure/puzzle game you were allowed to play in primary school?

That was Granny's Garden, for me, which somebody mentioned earlier. Dunno if that's what you were thinking of.

Cheers, Granny's Garden was close enough for me to get there.

Geordie fucking Racer is the culprit:

It wasn't the screen transition, but the noise of those bastard pigeons flying. Awful.
  • Fucking Geordie Racer!
    We had to sit through the Look and Read series of that, with that cunt Wordy and the Magic E song.
  • I remember watching Geordie Racer at school and some other learnered shows, one called Dark Tower and something else with a badger in. Incredible shows.

We never played the game though. Only IT work I did at primary school was getting a robotic turtle to draw things on paper.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Yeah we watched Dark Tower, the other one was Badger Girl and was painfully boring. Through the Dragon's Eye was the best one.
  • Badger girl, yes! That was a proper blast from the past, there was also one about a fairground with a bloke with tattoos in it.

Our teacher said we should never get tattoos because people would mistake you for a gypsy!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Never saw that one but that is a hell of a quote.
  • Taste the sausage.
  • AJ wrote:
    It was rare for a laptop in those days to have a proper sound chip. Still, VGA graphics - hell, bitmap graphics - you didn't know you were born.

Fuck vga, our first pc was an amstrad with monochrome cga. The irony being cga stood for color graphics adaptor
    The Forum Herald™
  • Grandstand thing with variations of pong.
    First i owned were a 2nd hand collevovision, amstrad cpc464 with green screen and also vic 20 with spy hunter or something.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Fucking Geordie Racer!
    We had to sit through the Look and Read series of that, with that cunt Wordy and the Magic E song.

The Brickie? Why don't you build yourself a word?

The Boy from Space was my favourite Look and Read story. Creepy as fuck.

uqPiGJf.jpg

• We watched Badger Girl, Geordie Racer and Through the Dragon's Eye. 

If we'd had Geordie Racer game at school there's a fair chance the NOB password would've been cracked first time.  We had a text game that tied into WWII refugees, where you type questions and the girl would say something like 'I'm sorry, I don't understand that question'.  Turns out the teacher could check what questions we'd typed, because it got taken away within a week.  Now that I've typed that though, I wonder if it was a bluff.
  • Most likely Pac man on a friends atari. Then Horace goes skiing or chequered flag on the 48k. First game i got addicted to was football manager on the speccy. Couldn't save the game so left it on for a season or 2 until the power pack cracked open.
  • Not sure which came first, but earliest memories are of Chucky Egg on my friend's Dad's BBC micro and my own ColecoVision with Zaxxon, Donkey Kong and Turbo.

Still have nightmares about this fucker...

Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Owned a Colecovision eh? Proper quality that was. I only ever played it in Woolworths....same with the Vectrex.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Vectrex! Loved it, Minestorm was amaze.
  • Hmm not sure exactly which one was my first game, I remember playing the Atari 2600 a lot and things like Atlantis, Empire strikes back with the at at walkers, yar's revenge... That sort of thing. My brother is 8 years older than me and into computers so we had an amiga and Atari, playing stuff like Super Sprint.

First proper console I remember was the SNES with Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo pack.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I remember buying Streetfighter 2 (a version of) for my SNES. Pretty sure it was £70.00.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!