Experience vs Gameplay. Discuss
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's the feedback loop that gives the pleasure. Has to be real time so fucking about in 3D environments for half an hour before getting an occasional payoff doesn't do it for me. I'm shallow. It's why original Doom remains the only FPS I've ever enjoyed.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • When I made the OP I initially meant Experience to cover the type of games that have little gameplay, things like Firewatch.
    However the discussion on what constitutes an experience is also interesting so I would rather the discussion flowed organically than define rules.

The OP is a springboard as opposed a problem to be solved.
  • One of the reasons that I have no problem with the whole 'experience' thing is that games are one of, if not the only medium where you can wander around an artificially constructed space. The other I guess are galleries and interactive theatre, but none of them really match what you can achieve in games, whether that be something like Gone Home, The Stanley Parable, Firewatch, Naissence, or the Beginner's Guide. If the gameplay in those games was more than "wander around and take it in" maybe they'd be "better" "games" but they'd also not be what they were intended to be. 

The analogue to film in the 70s feels appropriate now - during the Hollywood Renaissance, all yer big upstart film school directors repackaged French New Wave, Italian Neo-Realism, and other world cinema, in a way that was halfway between homage and influence, increasing the texture of their films. That's what gets us the Nepal section of Uncharted 2, the solitude and wandering between combat in the Last Of Us, the aimless car rides of Final Fantasy XV, the blissed out space-faring of No Man's Sky. Without these spaces to breath games would be a bit stifling, and I think the experience side of the coin has added a lot to games in recent years.

I think you can almost see a turning point around the late PS1/early PS2 (alongside the bountiful PC era) where people realised that games could be a medium for story as opposed to a series of mechanical tricks that get you hooked into a gameplay loop. People who grew up on Coin-Ops and so on are far more predisposed to the arcade game loop, and find the stories boring, which is fine - both sides of the coin are catered for.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Well said davy.

That feeling is how I'd define gameplay. It's the feeling of doing something and the game feeding back in return - rewarding you for good performance, either through progress or score, etc. When the feedback isn't there, that's when I'm not a fan and I think of it as more of an 'experience'. Just my definition though.

and I agree with you there to, gameplay for me is literally everything.

Only difference I think it what you define as experience I would define as non-game, Journey springs to mind for me, I just didn't get it.

Not knocking those that do, just not for me. I'll take Super Meat Boy over INSIDE everytime.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK wrote:
    It's the feedback loop that gives the pleasure. Has to be real time so fucking about in 3D environments for half an hour before getting an occasional payoff doesn't do it for me. I'm shallow. It's why original Doom remains the only FPS I've ever enjoyed.

Aye see that's the difference, if the 3D space is enjoyable to me, then I don't need an objective. I like to wander and instigate, but conversely I hate unfocused and meandering open world design. Both ends of the gameplay/experience spectrum are really enjoyable to me, but it's often the middling and sprawling blur that constitutes a lot of games that puts me off. I'd rather have an exciting world to explore with no combat mechanics (hi Grow Home) than bog standard combat mechanics and no direction to go in (Hello, Ubisoft Open Worlds)

Of course I also think if you want the best of mechanical workings, you should play one of the many hundreds of finely tuned rogue-likes out there like the Binding of Isaac, Nuclear Throne, Invisible, Inc. Crypt of the Necrodancer, or Telegltich, as they live or die on the strength of their core mechanics, and here they are, living.
  • @Tempy you might have a point with that turning point at the PS/early PS2 era. The PS2 gen was when my childhood undying love for video games took a bit of a turn.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • There's still hundreds of games that are pure gameplay out there though, I think you just have to roll a bit harder on the smaller titles like Assault Android Cactus than expect the homogeneous AAA market to serve you up anything other than big messes that are trying to appeal to everyone.

I think the latest Tomb Radier is a fair example of the problem of stretching yourself too thin. I played it for about 10 hours and gave up because it was like a MOR drone, but I imagine my takeway of enjoyment: ambling around the hub, finding tombs, hunting deer, solving tombs, would have been different from what you might have enjoyed: the tight gunplay, the scoring system, the aggressive AI that forces qucik reactions.

Either part of those would have made a good game, but mashing them together meant I was always hesitant of progression because it might mean leaving behind the bits I like for the bits I don't like, and also the friction between the two halves undoes the world. How are wolves still a threat when I can slaughter 20 people incredibly violently? I love the frenetic scrambling combat, but it's too unfocused as a whole.

A recent interesting example is House of the Dying Sun, a Freespace/Wing Commander style space combat game with an amazing aesthetic and controls... and it's about 2 hours long, because the story is about 10 sentences long and all the narrative is scooped out and replaced with the missions which have zero preamble and zero context beyond the original story statement. It's a space combat game for people who want space combat, want a sense of a grand narrative, but don't want 100 hours of ELITE style preamble, nor do they want the flow of the game interrupted by long winded story.

... I still want a new Wing Commander though.
  • @Tempy you might have a point with that turning point at the PS/early PS2 era. The PS2 gen was when my childhood undying love for video games took a bit of a turn.

The weird thing is a lot of PC games pre PS2 were already going for huge grand narratives that foregrounded the feeling of the world and the kind of person you could be as opposed to flat mechanics... but they were based on pen and paper RPG systems that gave them a strong mechanical underpinning. I watched a video last night about how Fallout 3 was a total betrayal of everything that made Fallout 1 and 2 remotely interesting, it was a pretty strong argument, almost entirely centred around the fact that Fallout 3 is an action game pretending to be a Fallout game, a series where the final fight is usually a conversation with a person who is ideologically radical rather than a flat out psychopath.

Edit: slow work day eh
  • I'm very glad that things like Rapture and Gone Home exist and people get stuff from them. Just wish they didn't take up the slots on PS+. ;)
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Different tact: Movies have zero gameplay, and we're ok with those.

I don't think any  'experience' game had come close to having the same depth and emotional experience as a decent film. i don't think games should try to be films, they should be games. Dark Souls is a perfect example of creating an amazing world and creating amazing story using methods which are unique to games and better in games than films.
  • As a counter to that, and the the idea that 'experience' games are like films, I think AAA games are closer to trying to be films most of the time. Compared to most big AAA romps like Tomb Raider and Uncharted, Gone Home is an experience game that is nothing like a film (although as a comparison something like Virginia is closer to a film thanks to its editing trappings, price, length, presentation, etc, and that' why it fails). 

Dark Souls and Gone Home are far closer to each in how they create a world, build their history through visual and written cues, and how they make you feel a specific way through non-gameplay elements, than Dark Souls and Call of Duty are close to each other through their gameplay loops. The stuff that's great about Dark Souls and Bloodborne especially could probably make an interesting stand-alone non-combat game, but their trick is to twist both components together so they complement and reinforce. 

If there's one thing that most experience games do, it's to try and tell their story through methods that are slightly different to traditional film techniques. They create a believable environment or scenario, they fill it with the kinds of detail that would be tough to notice in films, they allow for in-character interrogation of objects and systems. Sure they have dialogues and characters and often operate on three act structures, but wandering around in Firewach was for me far more a/effective than watching Leo grunt his way through The Revenant, and i'm not sure the story will hold up as well on the silver screen.

The games that err to close to machinma, like Dear Esther, are the ones that don't stand up. Games use the language of cinema as a crutch already, but I think bigger games are often more to blame than smaller games.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hmmm... Games that aspire to be Hollywood experiences aren't setting themselves a high bar.

It's good to hear that not all are aiming for that.

My sensibilities and what I expect from a game haven't moved on from the arcade, and it's unlikely they will. Anything modern I've tried or watched on youtube videos has been the same basic interactions dressed up in new clothes with energy sapping exposition strapped on and that's why I've turned away.

So it's comforting to know that someone is experimenting with the interactive nature to try and tell a story, even though it's unlikely I'll try it. Never say never though.
  • Anything modern is a bit of a broad stretch, I've already mentioned Binding of Isaac, Nuclear Throne, Invisible, Inc., Crypt of the Necrodancer, Telegltich, House of the Dying Sun, and Assault Android Cactus off the cuff, all of which have barely any exposition*.

Something like The Binding of Isaac is basically like a near infinite arcade experience that remixes itself as it goes on, people play it for around 500 hours because at it's core its a simple gameplay loop that and be exponentially iterated on with items and abilities that synergise in a near limitless way.

*HOTD has a few sentences at the start, Teleglitch has terminals with text on that you can ignore, AAC has an opening custcene and maybe 2 or 3 micro scenes sprinkled in between its Robotron through a kaleidoscope style levels.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Will check those out. Cheers.
  • There are definitely stories in games that are effective because they're games. Something like Brothers, for example. A very simple story given more impact by the way you interact with the main characters.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just on Tempy's I'd like to also throw Shovel Knight out there for one of the best mechanics in games taken to ludicrous proportions.
  • davyK wrote:

Not meaning to be a dick, I just think a large part of the perception issue is that big console games are all there is, when there are in fact 100s of games released every year, many of them as good as if not better than a lot of bigger games, but they're shied away from because they're only £10, and therefore they can't be as good as something that costs you £60. We've just seen a return to the idea of the bedroom coder that popularised the whole medium in the UK during the 80s, except now they have bigger budgets and better software suites - they still have the same wild ideas.

Isaac also has the presentation issue. Some people will never be able to see past its poo and blood trappings, but when you get far enough along playing it, you stop seeing it, just like with old arcade games. They're all shapes that have different properties.
  • I mostly look for gameplay first, which is why I (perhaps unfairly) dismiss things like Skyrim without trying them.  A game built around non projectile first person combat strikes me something where the gameplay would take a backseat to the experience.  The 3D Grand Theft Autos were in the same boat until no.5 - greater than the sum of their parts for most, but the parts were lagging behind other games that were master of less trades.  It's one of the reasons why I enjoy plenty of Nintendo's output - there might be less to do in terms of kitchen sink experiences, but they way you do it is rarely shonky.  This is also why I ignored the latest Starfox. 

Just a rule of thumb though.  Games I've enjoyed for the experience more than the gameplay would include all point and click adventures, Virtua Racing, the first Splinter Cell, David Cage stuff like Heavy Hand that I can play with the wife, Thomas was Alone, Shadow of the Colossus, walking sims and probably even God of War III/the Uncharted series.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Not meaning to be a dick, .

I know you're not. I'm pretty stuck in my ways and haven't seen a lot of newer stuff that interests me. It's great when someone takes the time to list a few things that might challenge my perception of how things are , and better still, I might enjoy.

I do prefer the form factor of a console but have no issue trying something out on PC.
  • My experience of the gameplay of this thread is that it is not good.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I finally watched 10p's oxenvid and it has some shizzle re this Fred so go watch it too
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    10p's oxenvid

i, nor google, understand these words.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Sorry that was a bit cryptic. A few minor plot refs/spoilers (as flagged with) but
    Tempy wrote:
    on
  • Well, with apologies for repetition and for not doing much about the woolliness of the terms:

I'll co-sign a why not both.

There was a time when games had to be either or, particularly if they were open world, but these days - see GTA5 and FH3 - you can have either/both at the same time.

I only rarely get on with 2d jobbies these days, they need to be Ori pretty, but I'll happily allow for some looser gameplay to enjoy a fully realised AAA world.

FH3 has the best of both, super tight racing design and car handling, along with completely open, experience driven locals tunes and bells and whistles. (The showcase events being a nice simple best of both worlds.)

Enjoyed Journey and Firewatch, but they're probably the only two completely "experience" things I've played. Quite enjoyed them both, but would need a push from lots of folk and a cheap price to dive into another of that sort of game.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I think it is definitely fair to say you can have one, the other or both. Experience can be there very deliberately by design but also appear as a by-product of the tools setup for the main part of the game.
    GtaV is an excellent example of a game where I have had some great experiences that are outside of missions or in the pursuit of any form of progress.

Of course the risk a developer runs when opting for either experience or gameplay solely is that there is nothing to fall back on if they miss the mark. Further to that, while gamers are well versed in what constitutes good and bad gameplay an experience can be much more subjective. In that way I think experience based games are like other media such as books or films.
  • I think it's interesting to look at GTA and the concept of play, as in actual play not gameplay, which I think you could argue is a third thing alongside games and interactive experiences.
  • Yeah I would go along with that.
    "Play" is certainly an aspect of games I particularly enjoy, especially as I'm not competitive in the slightest.

Halo 3 MP was good for it in casuals. Despite being in a match myself and Uni mates would often just muck around, then get told off. (always in Casuals btw).

THPS was another. I would quite often go on Free Skate then just skate about while chatting with mates.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tried GTA - was the PS2 one. Vice City was it? Wasn't for me.
  • Crackdown was ace for just 'playing' as well.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Just Cause 3 is great for that. Movement is almost Spider-Man 2 levels of fun for just running about for the sake of it, too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!