Yakuza - it's like Shenmue, but actually fun to play
  • The whole game feels like a vehicle for a lot. A LOT of excellent stuff.
  • Credits have rolled.  An experience like no other*.  Despite scoffing at the thread title initially, I'm now a bit worried I won't enjoy Shenmue III quite as much.

*Aside from the other Yakuza games, presumably.
  • I've played for about an hour and so far done a couple of fights and a bit of karaoke. When do I actually get to play this thing?
  • Yakuza goes through periods of letting you run about, then sticking you on rails for a bit. Worry not, the intros are usually very tightly managed, but the grip loosens eventually.
  • Also, don't diss fights and karaoke.
  • Not at all. Those were the highlights.

Had a few more fights now, but mostly this is proper boring.

Some amusing lines, though: "Do orphans not get to dream?"
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    You'll soon find yourself dreading those fight-initiator dudes and running as far away from them as possible, and they'll still catch you occasionally. There used to be a lucky ring in the older games to avoid random fights.
  • In chapter 5 (I think) and Im balls deep in the 
    Spoiler:
    Probably going through it all in the course of a single in-game night. 

Also found a certain business where you can make some serious money quickly, with a big risk/reward setup.
    Spoiler:
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • The fucking music in this game. 

If you liked Pacific Rim, the music when the jaegers get moving is enough to feel like you could take on the world in your little internal daydreams. 

There's one track in Y0 that does this but dialled up to 11. 

Kuze's theme. I won't say more than that, but wow. Thirty hours in, this is just an amazing game. Equal parts fun, silly, enjoyable combat like next gen streets of rage, an actually good story and so much to do. 

But yeah, that music track is immense. 

Spoiler footage in the url but click for the bit I just did last night. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6AuvA-tl3Y
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I'm on chapter 6. There are loads of novelty things to see and do, plus a general silliness and charm that makes it worth sticking around. But the presentation of the (decent) story is slow and boring, and the actual gameplay is weak overall. Button mashing is still a safe bet for most fights, and none of the mini games have enough depth to make it worth returning.

Just about enough to keep going, but I'd probably drop it if I had something better to play.
  • I'd say the car slot game is good and the two characters main sub games are good (to a point, but it becomes a bit trivial and a grind afterwards). I also played pool and darts a lot. The varient called cricket in the darts game is actually a really really good game in and of itself (and would be a really good two player game£

I'd give attacking the shakedown guy a few goes. You get a good feel from fighting him when there's a lot on the line.

I'd say I agree with your points on a technical level but I'm more than happy with it because I think the good stuff is actually very good and the dull gameplay is a worthwhile price to play.
  • I thought the dancing mini game was fantastic fun.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I was awful at that. I'm blaming audio lag.
  • I didn't do enough of the minigames, will mop up a few later in the year.  I enjoyed the dancing one too, but THE CLAW was the main event.
  • I thought the disco wasn't as fun as it should've been, despite Kiryu's great moves.

I also went into the 'telephone club' yesterday. That was fucking bizarre but very funny, to be fair, although I'm glad the wife didn't come in at that point - there's a lot in this game that I wouldn't want to have to explain to a perplexed bypasser.
  • Sounds familiar but I can't remember who it is.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I didn't do enough of the minigames, will mop up a few later in the year.  I enjoyed the dancing one too, but THE CLAW was the main event.

Bunchan's everywhere.

I prefer Outrun though.
  • JonB wrote:
    Sounds familiar but I can't remember who it is.

She sells unfresh things.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Sounds familiar but I can't remember who it is.
    She sells unfresh things.
    Ah yes.

And now that I've
    Spoiler:
  • Living statue substory was proper funny.

End of chapter 6 was also decent, with a nice long fight sequence. Should do those more often.

Still don't feel like my input is particularly important, but it's a good laugh.
  • I mostly amazed with the dialogue, plot (which admittedly is a bit ploddy but there is a great story there) but probably the localisation as it must have been a bugger to translate.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I'm on chapter 7. 

Starting to figure out the money-making minigame
    Spoiler:
    Also, does anyone have any tips for making meaningful impact in the restaurant/grey importer site?
    Apparently you can get helpful items there but I dont know what the goal is here? Is it worthwhile?
  • My PS4 fucked up yesterday and I lost my 80 hour game save.

I'd finished it, but had planned to go back and piss about with side quests I'd missed.

I'm not happy :(
  • My PS4 fucked up yesterday and I lost my 80 hour game save.

I'd finished it, but had planned to go back and piss about with side quests I'd missed.

I'm not happy :(

No cloud save as a backup?
  • cloud saves are locked to psn+
  • Really???

I'll have to check that out, thank you.
  • Yeah not sure if it auto uploads or if you have to select which game.

Might be worth doing a quick search to find out how to retrieve a cloud save on ps4 because I thought I read some cases of people doing it in the wrong order (!) and losing it.
  • It looks like cloud saves are only for those with PS Plus.

Oh well :(
  • Is there a chance Sony store that data, which is unlocked with a sub?  I'm reaching here, but I suppose it's possible.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!