Yakuza - it's like Shenmue, but actually fun to play
  • Vela wrote:
    Also, sometimes you come across a game that is a bit janky, but you love it. Y0 seems to be a bit low-fi in presentation in parts, but it also has some phenomenally high quality faces such as the main charcaters and enemies. But its the kind of game that really makes you forgive the unconventional bits.

I hated the lack of interactivity for the first hour, but the story setting was pretty damn interesting especially for a game. It's weird: a game full of absurd minutiae also has a thoroughly engrossing story. Normally story driven games lack small details and quality writing.

The soap opera stylings of Yakuza are top notch - some of the most coherent character work I've seen in a game.
  • Is there much scope for missing stuff in this, or can I mop up bits and pieces at any stage of the story?  I'm not looking to 100%, but I'd like to do all the sub stories.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Is there much scope for missing stuff in this, or can I mop up bits and pieces at any stage of the story?  I'm not looking to 100%, but I'd like to do all the sub stories.

Once sub stories activate they can be done at nearly any time, except certain chapters (for story reasons), or after completion.
  • What about chapter 1? Are you meant to just power through it doing what youre told?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    What about chapter 1? Are you meant to just power through it doing what youre told?

The game will go through periods of railroading you a bit, but the rest of the time it'll be relatively open. If it is forcing you to do something and there's nowhere else to go, don't worry.
  • Thanks.  Will continue to do any sub stories that pop up along the way, then mop up the rest post credits.
  • A new favourite appears!
    Spoiler:
    Full laughs, none of your nostril exhale half-measures.  Calling it now: funniest game ever.
  • I played that one last night, I was in stitches! Also enjoyed the 'bridge walker'. It's so out there, really enjoying it.

Having said that, as I tend to play quite late into the night I do find that due to the large swathes of dialogue I do drift off only to be woken by me getting whupped.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Started chapter three tonight. Absolute poetry. Then I went outside, had an encounter with someone straight up. Pretty good intro so far. 

Then I walked away from that dude and it got even better:
    Spoiler:
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Can I be an incredibly cheeky bastard and ask if anyone would be willing to lend me this when they're done with it? I'm intrigued to play it but my desire to buy PS4 games has cliff edged since getting a Switch.
  • It's taking me a while to get through but you can borrow mine when I'm done.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It's taking me a while to get through but you can borrow mine when I'm done.

Thank you sir. Much appreciated!
  • Chapter 3 last night and I'm getting hit with a barrage of side stories with almost no gaps in between. 

The silliness mixed with sincerity is something rarely seen in games, least of all ones about criminal underworlds. Often the music at the resolution of a side story clinches it. 

My new favourite saying is now "slow your roll".
  • Also goty voting is going to be insane this year.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Mr Libido is counting the votes
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I played the first two over Christmas '08, but I've been put off ever since because of their huge delays. I'd probably buy Yakuza 6 right now, but I'll have lost interest again by next year. There should be a three-month gap at the most.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    I played the first two over Christmas '08, but I've been put off ever since because of their huge delays. I'd probably buy Yakuza 6 if it were available, but I'll have lost interest again by next year. There should be a three-month gap at the most.

Y'all ain't seen the localisation then. Does it make that much of a difference tween when Japan gets it and us? Can only imagine the moonface you must have had back in the 90s
  • Play them all between waiting for new books from GRRM.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Does it make that much of a difference tween when Japan gets it and us? Can only imagine the moonface you must have had back in the 90s

It's one of my sillier quirks, but there it is. Because they're dated on the tech side at launch, they feel at least three years old when they arrive. Watching videos and reading others' accounts for such a long time renders them as newfound bygones.

They don't age that rapidly, they're just ghosts in the rearview of Sony's train. My sense of chronological disconnect's a barrier, even though that has no logical reason to affect my enjoyment.

The Last Guardian's equally dated, if not more so, but I'm still keen to play that because it doesn't present from a timeslip. Also, as much as I love their humour, Yakuza 2 ended so nicely that I was never compelled to continue. Mechanically, I'd had more than enough. It's one of those series where I'd buy the current version had it launched when its predecessor did.
  • I wish Kenzan or whatever the first ps3 yakuza game was got localised. I think it was something to do with Musashi? 

Just an underrepresented era in localised games in any style. Would have been a fantastic alternative to the fps infection from the early ps3 era. 
  • Wiki tells me there was some really ugly content in the game. That might be why it never stood a chance.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Does it make that much of a difference tween when Japan gets it and us? Can only imagine the moonface you must have had back in the 90s

It's one of my sillier quirks, but there it is. Because they're dated on the tech side at launch, they feel at least three years old when they arrive. Watching videos and reading others' accounts for such a long time renders them as newfound bygones.

They don't age that rapidly, they're just ghosts in the rearview of Sony's train. My sense of chronological disconnect's a barrier, even though that has no logical reason to affect my enjoyment.

The Last Guardian's equally dated, if not more so, but I'm still keen to play that because it doesn't present from a timeslip. Also, as much as I love their humour, Yakuza 2 ended so nicely that I was never compelled to continue. Mechanically, I'd had more than enough. It's one of those series where I'd buy the current version had it launched when its predecessor did.

I think that 6 does a fair amount to modernize the series. No more going into phone boxes for old Escape
  • The numerous outdated elements add to the charm in this one.  There, I said it.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think as time's gone on and top-end graphics have got increasingly crazy, there's a bit more room for diversity in terms of video game production values. I wouldn't be bothered by a niche game having merely OK graphics these days but in the PS3 era I was a bit more "Why don't these graphics look GREAT, don't you know this is the AITCH-DEE era now?!"
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I'm not sure I need a creepy dancing weirdo in a diaper to be anymore lifelike.

4K skidmarks and crust patches *shudder*
  • Practice run:

1. Thumper (Switch) (Elf says no)
    2. Mario Kart Deluxe (Switch) (Elf says no)
    1. Yakuza 0 (PS4)
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'm not sure I need a creepy dancing weirdo in a diaper to be anymore lifelike. 4K skidmarks and crust patches *shudder*

What's yer problem, chief?!
  • Finished chapter 4 last night (proof of resolve) and this game gets pretty dark.
  • Whoo!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!