Yakuza - it's like Shenmue, but actually fun to play
  • Raiziel wrote:
    If I were to play my first Yakuza game, should I start with Zero or Kiwami?

Zero is a great place to start the series.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Zero and Kiwami work in any order.

Before Kiwami I’d have said go 1, then Zero, but Kiwami added some Zero references, so it doesn’t matter so much now.

If it were me, I’d still go Kiwami first - I think it makes the Majima plotline stronger, but it really can work either way.
  • How does 6 compare to 0?  General consensus seems to be 'not quite as good but still great'.  Does anyone here prefer 6?
  • Think of both games as a big Sunday roast.

Zero does the meat better, 6's trimmings are off the charts.
  • Think of both games as a big Sunday roast. Zero does the meat better, 6's trimmings are off the charts.

Spot on that!
  • Sounds good.  Can't go to a Toby Carvery without tucking into a slightly intimidating foodstuff mountain.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Zero and Kiwami work in any order.

Before Kiwami I’d have said go 1, then Zero, but Kiwami added some Zero references, so it doesn’t matter so much now.

If it were me, I’d still go Kiwami first - I think it makes the Majima plotline stronger, but it really can work either way.

Thanks Cinty and Mr. Prime! If I do go in then Kiwami it is! It’s either that or that second play through of The Witcher 3 I’ve been promising myself.
    Get schwifty.
  • Tempy wrote:
    kiryu typing with his index fingers Y E S

Legit laugh out loud comedy, there.  Yakuza lunacy at its finest!

I reckon 6 is fantastic, only thing I'm not enjoying is the troublr alerts which are GTA IV-like; would love to turn them off.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I miss some of the old minigames, but there are a couple of wonderful new additions too.

Having a full port of VF5 Showdown in there doesn't hurt either.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yeah they've hit a home run with the Sega arcades.  VF5 and Puyo Puyo are both top shelf!

Haven't really looked into the other mini games much yet, aside from Live Chat which I stumbled onto by chance.  Seriously!

As an aside, after playing 5 Yakuza games in the last year I was hoping to have picked up more Japanese.  Only learned 2 words though; 'hai' and 'nani', lol.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • kusu (not sure on spelling) should be familiar
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Kiwami ordered and dispatched. I remember picking up the original PS2 game in HMV when it first came out, but for whatever reason I put it back on the shelf. So...better late than never.
    Get schwifty.
  • I still have my PS2 copy of 1 with me in China after all these years. Travelled thousands of miles over more than a decade, couldn’t bear to chuck it out, even though I’ll probably never use that disc again.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Just reached the final chapter of Yakuza 5. I'll be able to play Yakuza 6 eventually!
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Sounds like Yakuza 3 is getting the cut content restored in the West on PS4. Now all we need is physical versions (to finally get one for 5) and we'll have the dream 3-5 line-up.
  • Does 6 tell you how many hours you’ve played?

I can’t seem to find it, if it does.
  • Found it. 57 hours played so far, I actually thought it might have been longer.
  • So in Y6 there is a really enjoyable minigame. It's pretty simple, but I like it.

Minigame:
    Spoiler:
    I swear, I'd love to see what they do in future Yakuza games. They make me want full, standalone versions of some of their games. Bowling, they should do a golf game, pocket circuit racing, pub games.

I have only one complaint on Y6 and that is that darts is too easy.
  • Would definitely buy Yakuza Party, a mini game collection with a gameshow aesthetic hosted by Majima with character models like the ones in Pocket Fighter.
  • Would definitely buy Yakuza Party, a mini game collection with a gameshow aesthetic hosted by Majima with character models like the ones in Pocket Fighter.

Get someone on the phone, this is a great idea.
  • Mobile .... phone?
  • So, Im now on the last chapter of Y6.

The second last one sure was something. Cant really say something since I dont want to spoil anyone.
  • Fist Of The North Star: Lost Paradise showed up on amazon in the US. Yakuza localisation staff on twitter pretty much confirming it. Yas.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I've almost finished Yakuza 5. I might be able to start 6 this week. Can't keep up with the Yakuza team [sob].
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Finally finished Yakuza 5 with 71 hours on the clock. Can finally start 6 now, two months late.
  • Savour it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Fist Of The North Star: Lost Paradise showed up on amazon in the US. Yakuza localisation staff on twitter pretty much confirming it. Yas.
    It's already been confirmed my dude
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I forgot to say in here that I finished 6 and I have a real hankering for more. Give me that Kiwami 2 now
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Fist Of The North Star: Lost Paradise showed up on amazon in the US. Yakuza localisation staff on twitter pretty much confirming it. Yas.
    It's already been confirmed my dude
    Post was before the announcement my son

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!