myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    October so new gear in Salmon Run. This one's actually decent looking. No Splatfest announcement for NA yet, hope there will be something out soon.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    And there is is, Vampires vs Werewolves, Splatfest starting the night of Friday the 13th.

Guessing US only. Looking forward to it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's toilet paper this weekend m80
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Random French Splat 2 tourney out of nowhere...

https://go.twitch.tv/jvtv
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Ok, so this has grown on me. A combination of factors, one of which was sheer determination, drove me on to play the game long enough online to develop a burgeoning understanding of the core game.

Evaluating it as a single player game was wrong.

For me, the game has two blockers to what one might call 'immediacy'. 
    One, the controls, like most games of the like, are complicated. 

The second, the rules, unlike most games of the like, are actually really complicated.
    In combination, early forays into multiplayer games are rendered incredibly frustrating.

A few things helped me:

- Single player will help you get familiar with the controls, but in multiplayer games, you will have to use those skills differently. Easy for some people, but new to me as someone who's never been into shooters.

- As Swirly mentioned, you can kill baare' people and still be seen to lose. That's because the rules are, for all the bright, kiddy colours, fucking complicated. So yeah... Your objective is to cover the world in paint. 

- Killing people is very much secondary to that. So if you're new, the best thing you can do, is stay well away from opposing team players, and shoot at any surface not covered in your paint... If you concentrate on this objective, you'll notice that very few people actually pay attention to it themselves. This approach to the game, for a beginner like me at least, has a very cool adventure like quality to it. After a while though I suspect it will become routine.

- With that attention to detail, you will uncover movement opportunities that other players often won't. You will still get rogered though... But not as often...

- You have super moves... Watch the meter build in the top right. It builds up when you spray paint in the manner described in the points above (though there's more to the system than that). You can then activate them by pressing the right stick down. They're weapon specific (haven't got into that side of the game in any depth yet), but using any of them will almost guarantee you at least one kill a game. Vital for beginners confidence, and level grinding / cash for weapons.

- The reload/shoot balance is tricky. Swim without shooting whenever you can, only shoot at opponents and shit that's not's covered in your paint. Far harder than that sounds.

I was very much a skeptic until yesterday, and tbh, I still think the game is overrated, but with time, I did start to enjoy it quite a bit. So I hope that helps anyone else who's is a similar place with the game.
  • Good thoughts. When you become a bit more comfortable with the kind of role that you want to play in a team, and can tailor your weapon loadout, equipment etc to fit what works best for you, then the game really starts to sing. Getting stuck with a duff team still hurts sometimes, but when everyone is playing their role perfectly it comes together like nothing else. 

It can still surprise as well- I tend to be very dismissive of rollers, but playing at the weekend was absolutely steamrolled by a team with four of them (which I thought would be a cakewalk), and I couldn't work out why. I didn't adapt my approach well enough. Every match can have you needing to change depending on what you're up against. That sniper who was carrying you in the last round is suddenly on the other side, and you have to work out how to deal with it. It's a great game for having to think on your feet round-after-round. 

Anyway, now that I can post video clips from it my Twitter's likely to be filled with nothing else.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I've been playing through 4/5 random turf war sessions for the past couple of nights now.
    The 3 minutes are perfectly timed... Like Nina suggested in the ARMS thread, it's almost too convenient.

I'm trying to work out how I should feel about winning when I play with randoms... I've been getting fairly good results (60% winrate, possibly), but how much of that is to do with me, really?

But it's definitely fun.

Hoard mode, for me though, with randoms, hasn't been as enjoyable, but I do appreciate the detail in it. Like Left4Dead for kids... Could also grow on me with time, but I think I prefer the competitive game...

Until I start playing ranked, I guess...
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    For winning, I usually check the other team's points, if there's someone that has 0-0 than they probably disconnected and it wasn't a fair match. Otherwise, you did well. You can always check total points to see how well you did in the team.

Salmon Run all depends on the weapons. Some of them are hard and not a good set of 4, so I see me losing loads of points. Other sets get me to the 1200 points easily. Still always seem to lose the Griller waves.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I've started using the Splat-o-matic and my performance has soared, it's really amazing.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I only regard it as a good game if I score 1000+ points before the victory bonus.  Depends on how everyone else does, of course, as sometimes you don't need anything like that.
  • You have to take into account your splats. I’m terrible for coverage but better at splatting.

Basically as Nina says if you win you’ve done well (or you’ll know). Generally if a team has the weakest link then that team will lose. It’s a weird thing. It’s clearly a four player game but I find my team does better when I do well (which means I’m deffo not the shittest player) and I’m sure that this feeling is echoed accross each member of the team. It’s weird.

It could be I only do well when the team does well.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    When we win it's because I single-handedly swung it and when we lose it's because everyone else except me was shit.

Or at least that's what I tell myself.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I've started using the Splat-o-matic and my performance has soared, it's really amazing.

I’m still crawling my way to level 25 so I can be reunited with that. Was my jam in the first. Perfectly balanced, though I’m annoyed that they’ve changed the specials this time around.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Oh sorry, I meant Sploosh-o-matic. Didn't realise there were so many similarly-named guns.
  • Ohh that wee thing. I could never get on with the lack of range tbh, always ended up being picked off before I could get any hits in with it.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I normally use a roller so it hits a nice sweet spot between ink coverage and actually being a gun, even though its range is short.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I think for me, what makes this game so good, is that the netcode is as solid as a neutron star, and that on a casual level, any games that I have lost so far have barely frustrated or annoyed me.

The online experience in Splatoon 2 is effectively the exquisite antonym to the one offered by Street Fighter 5.

So yeah... I've gone from a gloomy prick a mere two pages ago, to a fairly satisfied prick in a few short posts... Definitely not the worst game this year.
  • I never bought the 1st one, as I had too many other games to play (and i was getting a regular 40min - 2hr fun online fix from mario kart 8)

Splat 2 lined up nicely with me being able to get my mates to buy it for me as a wedding present, and I've been so glad they did.

I pretty much have only played turf war so far, and for an online game that can involve not getting shot and trying to shoot others, the fact that isn't a pimary focus, and there doesn't feel like there's an immense pressure to be the best, I find it really relaxing, the same way Mario Kart 8 was

Anyway, I'd like to give salmon run a go sometime, but you constantly hear that it's a bit pants with randos, so would anyone like to get some badger squads going at some point in the future?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Yeah, I'd be up for online.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I'd be up for it. I've been hanging onto my profreshional level for quite some time now, so don't go and destroy that!
  • Count me in, though I've also enjoyed the playing with randos. Just depends on what kind of idiots it teams you up with.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    New month, so that means a new item for Salmon Run.

Also think you EU people got a Splatfest this weekend, breakfast related
  • Following the typically generous Ninty model for Splatoon, this is getting a pretty hefty update on Friday.

New stages, modes, gear, and even hairstyles abound. Lovely.

Edit: though perhaps most importantly YOU WILL NOW BE ABLE TO CHANGE GEAR WITHOUT LEAVING MATCH LOBBIES

Ahem. I’m sure you’ll all be thrilled.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yes. Yes I am.

Finally I can rock a pony tail.
  • Clam blitz looks cool. I shall be all over this in the holidays.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I'll keep an eye out for you, not sure if I'll get much game time during the holidays though.

I was getting really salty with this the other day. Have got to A- in Splat Zones and Rainmaker, Tower Control is a bit behind at B rank. Started with some Salmon Run, went pretty bad, almost lost rank, tried some ranked Tower Control, got another crack on the bar, tried some turf wars, couldn't even get half the points I usually get. Urgh.
  • Having already missed the whole Splatoon thing for the last few months, it goes without saying you're an integral part of that, so get on point and prepare for a beating. X
  • I bet you're still on the dualies. Stubborn.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Mostly, yep... That might be kinda my problem right now as their skill level is pretty high if you wanna get good with them. All my planned builds etc are for the Dapples though.

I do use splattershot during Splatfests. Might pick up the .96 Gal too, think that ones pretty popular in tournaments etc. I just don't like the nzap (both of them), but that's the most used weapon right now. Might give the buckets another go to.
  • Clam Blitz is kinda good but clearly advantages actual communication

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!