• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    So far, my most played this Christmas.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • It's a joy to be back, except we're playing on the boy's sign-in and we're having a giggle alternating goes. Come boxing day I'll be getting my own level up.
  • Loving Rainmaker this time around.
  • And the Squeezer is pretty cool.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I haven't even bought that one yet, spending all my money on clothes and scrubbing them.

Does anyone here have the Grape Hoodie with Special Saver by any chance? That's (hopefully) the last bit I need to make all the sets I want.
  • Anyone going to be on later? I'll try and get Tempy and Reg on the case.
  • The updates for this are just great btw. Clam Blitz looks great but need teams. Ahem.

• The Squeezer is unusual because you can hold down the trigger for turf coverage and press the trigger for single, longer shots to splat others.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Just been playing the campaign with my lad. It's alright this, I thought.

Then played a game online.

Urgh.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    This might be one of the worst online MP games I've ever played. Just awful. Everyone just doing their own thing, teams with all roller people just dominating every match, same maps over and over. All compounded by the lack of any way of team communication.

Rancid game.

I'll leave my lad to it.
  • It's great. You just have to treat it as it is, not how you expect it to be. It's not really a game that supports sitting down for hours and playing it non-stop, that's against the philosophy of its design which is quick, short bursts every so often. Maps rotate every few hours and everyone is always playing on the same maps, which is meant to bring the playerbase together. It's a very Nintendo game, in that they've taken something as well trodden as online multiplayer, and done their own take on it. It seems a shame so many bounce of what is a very dense and well designed game because they want it to be a different online shoot with lobbies and map votes and voice comms - each part antithetical to what the team have worked on to design a very child and new gamer friendly shooter. Also if you're getting dominated by rollers you're also bad at the game and I can't help you there.

But seriously, I understand why people don't get on with it, but I think much of that is refusing to take it for what it is, given an inculcated understanding of what Multiplayer Shooters are and have been for a long time. I wouldn't want every game to be Splatoon, but it's wild that it's basically one of the few Multiplayer Shooters of the last decade or so that's approached the idea in any other way than lobby, random map, done. 

It's probably the single biggest alteration the format has undergone since... Modern Warfare? Bad Company? Team Fortress 2? One of those, for sure.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Also if you're getting dominated by rollers you're also bad at the game and I can't help you there.

Yeh, no.

I've been coming top on my team in pretty much every game, splurging paint on everything in sight and killing enemy players but losing almost every game when the other team is all rollers. Not sure what else I can do tbh, as 3 other randoms doing their own thing is alot to rely on with zero communication and such short games. Every match is just a random crapshoot.

Anyhoo, it ain't for me but my lad loves it so job done.

• I disliked it for all of those reasons you mention above Fran. You never really feel like you're doing anything worthwhile other than splurging paint about.
  • It takes some getting used to, and some matches aren't salvageable but I don't find it different from say, Star Wars: Battlefront on that level. If anything the shorter length of the matches means it's less of an issue for me. Ranked stuff is a lot more intense, but the lack of Comms there can be an issue if you aren't flowing with your team.

I still find it interesting there's such a divide. Where some see a game where every action has consequence, and everything you can do as a player feeds into everything else you can do, and the shortened match time means losses are throwaway and strategy has to be made in lightning fast time, others just see splurging paint around. Funny old world.
  • It's just a bit vacuous for me. Each match has little to get your teeth into. The standard 4v4 barely gets a chance at ebb and flow. A game can turn around in seconds but there's no peril or much to worry about if you lose. Most of the time I could be fighting bots. It just goes on and on without anything of interest to keep me playing.

There's no emergent scenarios that occur - it's just splurge as much paint as you can about the place until you die. There's no arguing that there's more to it than that really. You can do some team stuff and hold areas but if you just roll solo and avoid other players you can usually turn the tides on your own. I got so bored very quickly. After one or two games I was itching for something else.
  • In my experience the best players cover the ground and take out the opposition, which takes real skill. Just covering the ground is entry level stuff. You should try the ranked matches.
  • There's plenty of decision making to be made, it's just all rather quick, and there's space for that in the market given the time demands of most other games. It's 100% about accessibility, which is why the go to match type is so short, but I've had Ranked Matches in some objective types last five times that of regular types because of how they plays out as tense back and forths. 

There's plenty to the combat, and plenty of decisions to make in each match, whether you hold your ground, or gamble for early pushes. After the first minute of the match, coverage mean dictates what strategy you take  - or you could just splat stuff with no care - all the options are valid, but strategy frequently wins out of randomness. So what if at the end of the match you get bustled straight into another? It's quick, and breezy, but saying you can't argue it is anything other than splatting is the same old reductive argument you can chuck at any game "it's just X but you do it over and over.". The domination of rollers isn't really the thing people think it is, they only really tend to work when the opposing team doesn't know how to react, but there are plenty of games with pocket strategies like that. If you suss it, you can wreck shop, much like other games.

Again, it's entirely fine to not be on board with it, I don't really like racing games but I understand that mechanically they've got a lot going on under the hood. Despite its looks, so does Splatoon.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'd probably enjoy it more if Nintendo can suss out playing with friends without being wrapped in a million wires.
  • Ach, I know i'm changing no minds. I just think people really misunderstand the game, just because its philosophy of accessibility is so counter to the way most modern FPS games work. It's ok for just this one to be different.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'm pretty sure I understand it, it just ain't for me.
  • FranticPea wrote:

You must be a super genius because it took me a good while to get it. Tempy knows.
  • Saying that I''m already thinking Clam Blitz is just too much like hard work, but within a month I'll be declaring it the best mode ever.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Splatoon is great as a single player game. I find it pointless to even consider it multiplayer.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Ach, I know i'm changing no minds. I just think people really misunderstand the game, just because its philosophy of accessibility is so counter to the way most modern FPS games work. It's ok for just this one to be different.

And different with such confidence. I do like the way you're simply not allowed to play 2/3 of the online until you achieve certain levels. I remember thinking how shocking this was, and worse, you couldn't even choose what level to play on. And Salmon Run only on certain days! Wtf? I remember Crayon defending it and me being outraged.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:

You must be a super genius because it took me a good while to get it. Tempy knows.

I don't mean get it as in I'm an expert, but cheers anyway.

I mean I get what they're going for. Accessible multiplayer, yeh that's cool. There's absolutely zero point in caring about winning it losing though, which is also fine. It's just all a bit random, which again is fine.

It's ok for people to dislike it.
  • It's just very different to your normal online shooter. For a start nobody wants to fuck your Mom which is nice, but it also plays out quite seriously when it needs to. Playing against high level opponents is not something you'll do in the first day, week or month. There's serious skill and nuance here though if you ever get to play an online game where everyone is a pretty decent level. Calling it rancid after a few hours play is not offensive btw, it's just another thing about the game that makes me giggle because I've heard that before.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    That's what Turf Wars is, you always gain something. As soon as you unlock ranked (lvl 10 I think? By that time you'll know the map layouts etc) losing too often will make you lose rank and not gain any points. Which always happens just after you had a drink to double cash rewards.

Turf Wars is mainly a testground for weapons once you've leveled up a bit, and a sure way to get some cash / level up points at the end. If you lose in ranked you win nothing.

Same goes for Salmon Run, losing too often will see your rank go down and you'll be stuck in that mode for longer than you wanted to if you're trying to get both the super bonuses.
  • My opinion is based solely on the unranked PvP btw, I only dabbled briefly in ranked but tbh the aesthetic and general feel of the game just grates with me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!