The completely knackered from just watching it Olympic thread
  • Beautifully clear slow-mo swearing from Johnny Peacock there. Good work, G.
  • Thanks mate.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • More G love here, those slow-mo shots have been an joy to watch. The perfect way to round off some truly incredible moments on the track.
  • A lot of the credit has to go to Dave though. ;)
  • Strange day yesterday then. Spent my time off in the morning resting, but painfully aware of the pressure mounting for the evening. A decent nap after lunch saw me good though and by the time I left for the stadium I was actually far more chilled than I'd really have liked. Struggled to get the adrenaline flowing last night. This wasn't helped by arriving at the stadium to find that in my absence, the guy who operated the ultramotion in the morning had not only moved all the controls from the positions I've spent the last week tweaking them into (bit like when someone moves your car seat and rear view mirror), but had also managed to somehow break the camera (which is half a million dollars worth of kit).
    I end up having to run back and forth from the stadium for half an hour while we tear our hair out trying to fix it. To cut a long story short...we fixed it.
    I really struggled with the light last night. Round about the back of eight the sunlight goes and the stadium lights aren't at full tilt and it's just brutal. I struggle to keep anything in focus. This is where having Rachel in vt has been a godsend. She'll always find the sharp bit for the replay. Sadly last night was Dave's shift in vt. I may actually murder him at some point. The man is a fucking incompetent and just plays in any old shit for the replay. There was one race last night where he played in my appallingly out of focus over the line shot, leaving me ranting like a madman behind the camera.
    I nailed virtually everything I needed to last night, but it was fucking hard work.
    Safe to say that despite the unbelievable spectacle unfolding in front of me, I wasn't actually having much fun.
    Our director bottled the 100 metres final. He has me and one other big lens beside me, and rather than have me iso Peacock and have the other camera iso Pistorius he put me on a wide shot of peacock and the three to his left, and the other cam on the four to the right with Pistorius.
    Bad, bad idea.
    You absolutely should never have the ultramotion camera on a wide shot zooming to a single under those lighting conditions, because with the miniscule depth of field, you will never have time to find perfect focus on the end subject.
    Consequently my shot of Peacock taking the win is badly framed and moderately sharp, but frankly, it's not something the viewer would notice. It's professional pride innit.
    Anyway, rant over. At the end of the day it was an amazing night, and it was a rare privilege to cover it.

indeed

g.man
  • Yeah, I noticed the slomo was wide on Peacock and zoomed in over the last third. I was looking dead close cos I figured it was your shot, and only cos you mentioned about the out of focus being a worry did I notice the focus on Peacock being a little soft as he covers the last 20 meters - but it clears and I thought it was in focus again as he crosses the line and caught his "fuck YEAEAAH!" perfectly :-)

Anyways, I was only so much attention cos it was you - would never have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it :-P

Epic night of athletics though.

Thing I like most about it is the paralympians seem to be a lot friendlier and happier for their competitors than the olympians. I mean, they're all uber-competitive people like the olympians, but after crossing the line there seems to be more hugs and genuine smiles from the folk that didn't win - hardly any sour grapes, so many of them seem genuinely happy for the person that won, even though that means they beat them! Seems more sporting. Maybe it's a smaller competitive field so they know each other better or something.
  • Yeah, the cameraderie between the different nations has been a constant joy.
    It's been like working on a different planet this. Everyone is just really happy and supportive of each other despite the highly competitive nature of the competition.
    Lovely to see lots of members of Team GB in the stands last night wearing rubber werewolf masks during Weir's race, and Dan Greaves who was competing in the men's discus at the same time, ran over to the edge of the track to roar encouragement at him.
    Olivia Breen is the standout for me though. She might not be a big star, but she has a smile that would melt granite. 16 years old, has cerebral palsy, braces on her teeth and hearing aids, and she just looks like the happiest person on the entire planet. For me she's been the sports personality of the year.

parents must be beaming

g.man
  • Saw Greaves come over to congratulate Peacock as well! The American had a hell of a throw to beat him, but looks like Greaves had a great night anyway - he was doing celebration photos with the american guy, they both had flags, like you say, nice to see the camaraderie.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Olivia Breen is the standout for me though. She might not be a big star, but she has a smile that would melt granite. 16 years old, has cerebral palsy, braces on her teeth and hearing aids, and she just looks like the happiest person on the entire planet. For me she's been the sports personality of the year. parents must be beaming g.man

Her interview after fourth (wasn't it?) the other day was amazing. You'd have thought she won it! One to look out for in the future, surely.
  • Morning of rest again. Back off to the stadium to do the evening shift now. Going in early to check the camera is actually working this time.
    These two mornings off have been counterproductive. While its nice that they went to the trouble of organising it, I'm actually more tired because the adrenaline has dropped so much.
    Feel like I'm on my last legs now. Tonight will doubtless be another slog, but I'm quite looking forward to the last day of competition tomorrow then the closing ceremony on Sunday.

dazed and confused

g.man
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    ...bear in mind that if I'm out of focus for 1 second in real time, that means I'm out of focus for 16 seconds at replay speed. regards g.man

This is something that is obvious but blows my mind.

Be stoic g. Sunday is only a few beers and a few more meals away.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Indeed mate. Indeed.
  • I've also enjoyed reading through it all, good luck with the rest nearly there man.

You're not doing any London B&B beers at the end of this are you?
  • Sadly I won't have the opportunity this time mate.

someday

g.man
  • Final day of competition.

:(

g.man
  • It's the big one tonight. Pistorius v Oliveira in the men's 400m. Final race of the games. They're side by side in the lanes and there's been a lot of intrigue about the Brazilian's fitness going into the final.
    Personally I think he's playing mind games with Pistorius and come the race will smash him.

time will tell

g.man
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Massive congrats to Zanardi on his double Gold, smashing bloke...
  • Last morning session in brilliant sunshine over. The lack of Brits running this morning gave me the opportunity to really push the ultramotion to the absolute limits. Amazing fun.

absolutely smashed it

g.man
  • Just to put a bit of perspective on what I do...
    This is what I see in my viewfinder for the start of the 100m.
    0B91718E-B69B-453D-A915-AB1249EF897E-202-0000001214136C12.jpg

...and this is how far away the same guys are if I look round the side of the camera.
    93E0A710-194C-42D9-9153-77336DCA6BCE-202-0000001218C41A83.jpg

it's the mother of all focus pulls

g.man
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You seem to be able to focus on the genitalia with ease.
  • FUCKING NAILED OSCAR.

perfect

g.man
  • Our director nearly screwed me again last night. There was a young Brit lad in the farthest corner of the stadium competing in the javelin last night. OBS weren't covering it, so he makes the unbelievably stupid decision to pull me off covering all the track finals and instead have me point half a million dollars of hi speed camera equipment at a guy sitting in a wheelchair doing absolutely nothing for an hour. Boy was disqualified and I ended up parked on a static shot of him sitting on his own looking miserable for an absolute eternity.
    It was a nice enough shot tbh, but for fuck sake, use the standard camera right next to me, not the fucking ultramotion.
    Reason this fucked me off so much is because the light alters constantly throughout the evening and I absolutely have to keep my eye in on the races to have any idea what the current state of play with the depth of field is. If I don't have a rough idea, then chances are good I'll be soft as old boots and spend at least a couple of races chasing focus and recalibrating my brain. Not a good situation to be put in when every race is a final.
    I think I only had the one race prior to the 400 to get my eye back in, and that was a wheelchair relay. Completely different pace to the runners. Not ideal.
    I'm fucking worried now. It's the men's 400 next. The last race of London 2012. It's a grudge match of Stallone like proportions between Oscar Pistorius and Alan Oliveira that's been building for the last week.
    Is the Brazilian playing mind games or is he injured? Can Pistorius pull it out the bag and finally win individual gold at these games?
    My money is on Oliveira. I'm not a betting man.
    The build up is good. It's the 400, so the start is right in front of me. Director's doing a good job calling the shots as they line up.
    At the last minute he tells me to iso Oliveira. Now my money is on him to smash it, but my spider sense tells me I should be on Oscar.
    I frame up on Oliveira and decide that once the race is underway all bets are off and I'm just going to completely ignore the director and instead do what I should be doing.
    This is the single most important shot of my entire career. The culmination of 20 years of blood, sweat and tears.
    It's death or glory.
    The race begins, and Oscar is off to a brilliant start, they're neck and neck all the way down the back straight so I keep it on a two shot, but into the bend Oscar hits the button marked Nitrous Oxide and streaks into a commanding lead. As he passes Oliveira, I make the executive decision to go with him.
    Into the final bend and I'm tight on Oscar's blades. It's a great shot, but I'm a actually doing it to refine my focus for the final straight.
    Oscar comes thundering down the final 100 metres and I tilt up to a mid shot for the final 75. I hold my breath and manage to keep him in focus all the way down and across the line. This is the shot.
    The crowd go mental. I'm banging off reaction shots left right and centre, but I'm waiting to see the replay.
    I have Rachel's replay output on my camera and I'm constantly toggling it, watching her spool through my footage, selecting the replay. I see Oscar coming over the finish line to take the win at 400 frames per second and he's absolutely pin sharp. I'm swearing with joy into the viewfinder and snappers are looking at me like I'm mental.
    I have absolutely fucking nailed it, and I've got a pretty good idea how Oscar feels right now. This was the one.
    It doesn't get better than this.

3B9569D1-DB13-4C93-A441-802DBA8A8678-221-000000AF17C6B6BD.jpg

cometh the hour

g.man

• GOLD FOR WEIR IN THE MARATHON!

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!

g.man
  • SILVER FOR SHELLY WOODS!

GET IN!

g.man
  • Final medal ceremony at the closing ceremony tonight is going to be unbelievable!

can't wait

g.man
  • g.man wrote:
    GOLD FOR WEIR IN THE MARATHON! YEEEEEESSSSSSSSS! g.man

What a guy. A stunning achievement to add to a list of stunning achievements, my top Olympian for London 2012.
  • The man is simply incredible.

different class

g.man
  • Holy fucking shit! Gold in 800, 1500, 5000 and marathon?!
    That is... just... wow!
  • The British athletics team have been utterly brilliant this year but it's also been a brilliant effort by everyone else involved too.  As a nation we've done ourselves proud, especially with our staging of the paralympics.

Cometh the hour, cometh the g indeed.  It's really heartening to know that there's guys like you out there who really get what it's all about.  This summer of Olympic sport has been simply amazing in every respect and it's owed in no small part to people like you whose tireless dedication and skill have made it such an amazing experience for people like me who just sit on the sofa at home and lap it all up.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!