Oooooh tasty! A discussion in changing tastes over the years
  • He shoves his spare change through the air con grill before starting.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I haven't played an FPS in 2017 and I have no desire to. 10 years ago it was all I did. I've played every COD up until Moon edition - I'm waiting for the next great leap in terms of the genre. TTF2 was getting there but sadly over as soon as it began. I'm done with the shootman, and increasingly moving into more pugilistic tendencies. I've always had them, but am now excited for something like a new Xrd game.

Don't think I've really enjopyed FPS since Operation wolf, I love lightgun games, but fps just feel so unnatural. I'd play CoD or similar if it used lightguns, but hey. Hear you on the pugilistic thing, really enjoyed playing GodHand again when it retroed on the PS3 PSStore

More games like that for me, updated mega versions of Final Fight, God Hand etc would be luvverly, but I guess that's what witcher and nioh have been but I've not played them yet
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Man I'd kill for someone to sort out light guns on hdtv
  • Unlikely wrote:
    And yet FH3 remains an absolutely magnificent, joyous experience for many of us, despite having played dozens of facing games over the years.  I haven't put as many hours into a game for a very long time, mostly in single player because most of the fucking FNF crew don't bother pitching up until it's past my bed time.
    If I'd bought an XBone rather than PS4 I'm sure I would've played that instead of Driveclub and enjoyed it lots.
  • WorKid wrote:
    I feel the same about fighties. I'd rather play Tekken 3 again than relearn movesets just for more shinies. Actually maybe TTT.
    Vs fighters haven't been an option for me since I stopped having friends IRL to play local MP (about the time of Tekken 3, as it happens). I can't be arsed with playing them online.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Man I'd kill for someone to sort out light guns on hdtv

I was researching this last week actually after being given Time Crisis 2 & 3, plus Virtua Cop 2 and 2 lightguns (PS2). There's a workaround involving wiimotes:

Not ideal though.
  • WorKid wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    I got bored of racing games quite a while back. Before Driveclub the last one I played was Outrun 2 on the XBox. I enjoyed Driveclub so much partly because I hadn't played one in so long and it seemed fresh again, but now that's done it'll be another 10 years before the next one.

As a genre it probably just reached its limit in the early 2000s. In the end, you've only get steer, accelerate, brake and change gears, and once that's been done well a number of times there's nothing else to add except nicer graphics.

I feel the same about fighties. I'd rather play Tekken 3 again than relearn movesets just for more shinies. Actually maybe TTT.

I'd add sports games to that. There's just no where left to go.

At least with racing games you can race around new tracks. Where's there to go with Tennis or Football?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I hear it sucks balls.

Edit: the light gun thing.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Kabaddi.

I once designed (suggested some play mechanics for) a kabaddi game on the DS, I thought it genius. Was on marunrum, so no chance of finding the post now though
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I hear it sucks balls. Edit: the light gun thing.

Tie Crisis and Point Blank categorically prove via the amount of arcades that they are still in and the amount of coins that fall through their fun slots that lightgun games do not suck ass, though some implementation has been lazy/stupid

The Menacer was hilarious though, you can imagine the Sega team meeting 
    "what about a light gun?"
    "what duck hunt, that's so 8-Bit, fuck off"
    "OK, lets up the ante, a light bazooka"
    "Now we're talking, next gen starts here"
  • cockbeard wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    Kabaddi.
    I once designed (suggested some play mechanics for) a kabaddi game on the DS, I thought it genius. Was on marunrum, so no chance of finding the post now though

I remember your Kabaddi obsession.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Not changed too much. My film tastes have changed somewhat into more arthouse, real horror than the zombies/ghosts of my youth. Music is still the absolute same. Gaming wise I prefer slower, relaxed games these days. Gone are my teenage days of twitch FPS etc. I adore Doom of the more recent FPS efforts, but I can only play it for 30-60 minutes or so before I go back to FM/Zelda/Golf.
  • My tastes are refining as age pushes through me, like a particularly mean spirited coffee press.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    I hear it sucks balls. Edit: the light gun thing.

Tie Crisis and Point Blank categorically prove via the amount of arcades that they are still in and the amount of coins that fall through their fun slots that lightgun games do not suck ass, though some implementation has been lazy/stupid

The Menacer was hilarious though, you can imagine the Sega team meeting 
    "what about a light gun?"
    "what duck hunt, that's so 8-Bit, fuck off"
    "OK, lets up the ante, a light bazooka"
    "Now we're talking, next gen starts here"

I meant the Wiimote light gun thing. Personally, I'd consider an arcade machine to play light gun games again, if I had the money and space.
  • Do you find yourself avoiding certain genres or series that you previously would've enjoyed? Or do you find you're now enjoying games that previously you would've written off? Go!

I've written off JRPGs, vs fightmans and possibly first person shooters (I declared Halo 4 my last, but played through Call of Juarez more recently).  At different times FFVII, Virtua Fighter II and Halo:CE would have occupied slots in my all time top 5. 

I've recently discovered that I'm no longer quite so averse to 'Metroidvania' or open world games.  I'm more likely to try one of those than one of the genres above, having discovered examples I enjoyed quite recently (Ori in the Blind Forest, Mad Max). 

I have found that the more is more thinking of the early 3D boom has made way for a craving for simpler times, which I'm well catered for with indie games.  For example, if I was selecting games from that era now, I'd probably opt for Three Dirty Dwarves and Herc's Adventure (neither of which registered with me at the time) over chasing the polygons per second.  When games get too big these days, or have too many features (like For Honor's 'always on' multiplayer modes), I find it off-putting/daunting.
  • I'm certainly another one in the "no stomach for horror since having kids" camp.  I will still dabble, but it's something I rarely really enjoy in any media.  Though, oddly, as they've got older I'm starting to find myself tolerating it more again - perhaps because I feel less protective.  

With respect to games specifically I find I'm a lot more impatient.  Again, having a family possibly hasn't helped, but I'm no longer prepared to put hours and hours into something just to be able to progress.  If I'm not at least moderately competent from the start, I don't feel inclined to persevere.  I also tend to prefer to have a narrative, any narrative, to keep me engaged.  I no longer give a damn about high scores.  Young me would be appalled.

With respect to music, I'm actually frustrated by how little my tastes have changed.  I have to actively push myself to find new music that I like, rather than constantly listening to the same people playing basically the same songs, but it's hard to resist the familiar.  Many of the bands I listen to now are, embarrassingly, the same ones I listened to 20 years ago. Those that aren't, often sound like them.

So, basically, I'm getting old.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Big up the Siren: Blood Curse drops. I think a lot of that atmosphere comes from your sneaking/running being done typically in domestic environments while the notzombies are muttering warped commentary from their previously normal lives and doing rote actions they vaguely remember. Part that stressed me out most was playing the wee lass going about a family home. The mother routinely wanders between the kitchen with rotten food on the boil and the bathroom for cleaning which adds believably to her patrol route from a design perspective. Dad is wallowing around drunk in the living room and the daughter is upstairs doing something I can't remember.

Like a lot of others I'm sure, I have more respect for time as a commodity now. Mass Effect Andromeda is an example. Do I really want to spend £40+ quid on something that demands 30+ hours of investment for a subpar everything? No. I'll read one of the many books from the pile I've shamed up and get a bigger payoff. Or get distracted and play Reigns/Dandy Dungeon.
  • I probably spent about 70 hours on two games of Mass Effect and another 80 or so on two games of Mass Effect 2. Gave up on 3. The thought of spending another 30 to 40 odd hours in the Bioware world I have seen so far just depresses me. I'll stick with Zelda, Yakuza and Nier. Likely to keep me going for a couple of years. Refreshed (?) Mario Kart at the end of April should be fun.
  • I'm all about Nintendo since the boy came along.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My tastes have never really moved out of the arcade - an experience that was in its pomp in my teens; an experience that was further enforced by the tightly focussed simplicity (purity) of the better Atari 2600 games.

I have flirted with modern genres. I enjoyed some big hitters in my mid 20s when they were contemporary- Doom 2, Quake 2 LAN, Zelda : Alttp, Super Metroid, but I didn't have a desire to repeat the experience. So in recent times I have retreated back to my roots. Shoot-em-ups, puzzle games, pinball, arcade driving games and some linear platforming. I love a tightly focussed simple goal - illustrated well by my current love affair with Snake Party on 360 - a cheap indie effort which is a snake game with spiralling difficulty built into a punishing mission mode. I'm fearless in the face of linear repetition and pain - in fact I crave it.

However if a game has a great same room multi-player game I go for that too no matter what the genre - but with the exception of racing, I look for design that doesn't require split screen.

Team sports videogames feel like riding a horse with the bit between its teeth - an uncontrollable and unsatisfactory experience - though I will occasionally enjoy a simplistic Sega-ish football game in a same room setup. Video game tennis remains the king but it got as good as it needed to be on Dreamcast.

Film-wise , I've been bitten far too often by the dog of Hollywood output disappointment. I like a fantasy/scifi type of thing but not exclusively. I crave the feeling that "grown-up" films in the late 70s give me and it's hard to recreate that. I follow the film thread here and will pick some stuff up. There is excellent stuff around but the effort in finding it is offputting. I don't have a regular cinema buddy which doesn't help either since Wifey isn't a huge fan and prefers mainstream films with a beginning, middle and end which doesn't really do it for me any more.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just want to shout out siren blood curse - one of very few PS3 games I kept
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Big up the Siren: Blood Curse drops. I think a lot of that atmosphere comes from your sneaking/running being done typically in domestic environments while the notzombies are muttering warped commentary from their previously normal lives and doing rote actions they vaguely remember. Part that stressed me out most was playing the wee lass going about a family home. The mother routinely wanders between the kitchen with rotten food on the boil and the bathroom for cleaning which adds believably to her patrol route from a design perspective. Dad is wallowing around drunk in the living room and the daughter is upstairs doing something I can't remember. Like a lot of others I'm sure, I have more respect for time as a commodity now. Mass Effect Andromeda is an example. Do I really want to spend £40+ quid on something that demands 30+ hours of investment for a subpar everything? No. I'll read one of the many books from the pile I've shamed up and get a bigger payoff. Or get distracted and play Reigns/Dandy Dungeon.

For me it was the fact that after being buggered at every turn, they suddenly stuck me in the body of an actual female infant, crawling around a hospital, it all got too much at that point
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Big up the Siren: Blood Curse drops. I think a lot of that atmosphere comes from your sneaking/running being done typically in domestic environments while the notzombies are muttering warped commentary from their previously normal lives and doing rote actions they vaguely remember. Part that stressed me out most was playing the wee lass going about a family home. The mother routinely wanders between the kitchen with rotten food on the boil and the bathroom for cleaning which adds believably to her patrol route from a design perspective. Dad is wallowing around drunk in the living room and the daughter is upstairs doing something I can't remember. Like a lot of others I'm sure, I have more respect for time as a commodity now. Mass Effect Andromeda is an example. Do I really want to spend £40+ quid on something that demands 30+ hours of investment for a subpar everything? No. I'll read one of the many books from the pile I've shamed up and get a bigger payoff. Or get distracted and play Reigns/Dandy Dungeon.

For me it was the fact that after being buggered at every turn, they suddenly stuck me in the body of an actual female infant, crawling around a hospital, it all got too much at that point

Oh that sounds horrible.
    Can't stomach the idea of children in horrible situations. I've worked with Primary children for years and my brother is a social worker who has to deal with some of the most horrific situations involving child abuse so that kind of thing just hits me too hard for it to be included in "entertainment" time.
    i remember hearing particular tales and just being unable to get it out of my head, just made me rush home and hug my baby boys so much.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • It's odd, I don't mind the ultra violence of Doom because that's in a fantasty situation on demons and monsters so it's almost comical.
    With movies I prefer ghosts, monsters, demons etc to anything involving body horror, home invasions, real world violence and the such. Just have no stomach for it.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK wrote:
    I'm fearless in the face of linear repetition and pain - in fact I crave it.

I've been getting hard into Beatmania again these last few weeks (IIDX specifically). Moved into a house now with spare rooms and everything, instead of a single room studio I was living in with the missus. The latter really didn't cater well to music games with their flashing lights, loud clickity-clacks and music. I essentially took a ~2 year hiatus.

Like the arcade games you mention, the instant-action nature of it, coupled with the (to a degree) repetition and pain keep me coming back. On top of that it has the highest skill ceiling that I know of, the very best players in the world are still a considerable way off perfect scores on the hardest stuff, and it's accepted that it's pretty much impossible. Some Japanese guy got a 95% of the hardest official song a while back and the other top ranking JP players threw a party for him!

I figure now's the time to crack on and push to get over the final few walls. The UK recently got it very first (and only) cabinet too, so that's helped spur me on, especially seeing other UK players at a higher level.

Aside from that, I'm likely to play something charming, retro or both - recently Shovel Knight and Megaman 2, or dip toes into the odd 'safe' AAA, i.e. Hitman and Yakuza in the last year, although both of those have been progressing extremely slowly.

I still like to keep up with developments on things like Street Fighter, but even with a few guys playing that and Xrd in the office I still don't feel the need to jump on.

Ah yeah, was also majorly addicted to HSR over the last couple of years, in part due to being able to play it whilst the TV was on, and also because it's an amazing game and I love it to bits.

err, so yeah - I'm hitting keys to music, playing retro or mobile these days, mostly.
  • give kids guns imo
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    give kids guns imo

Makes my job easy
  • people are scared of kids in media getting abducted or hurt, but if you gave them a gun they'd shoot you and not even think twice.
  • Also Chaz is literally batman but uncomfortable with home invasion films, which means the rest of us pasty fucks are utterly buggered if anyone ever breaks in.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!