Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • I really like that kiwi guy’s humour. Was the same in wilderpeople.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    And What We Do In The Shadows.
  • Eagle Vs Shark as well if you dig the kiwi humour. (Bonus points for Jemaine)
  • Watched new Spiderman again tonight. Loved it - absolutely nails the character and gives me the same warm fuzzy feeling that I had reading the comics when I was a nipper.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    “Piss off, ghost!”

I've watched that clip many times on YouTube now. Just a magnificent joke
  • I've had two shots at watching Guardians 2 now and given up twice.
    Drax jokes are over done and everyone else is just arguing all the time or spouting space mumbo jumbo. Totally lost the magic of the first one by bloating it.
  • Interesting. And tell me, how does it feel to be so wrong?

;)
  • I've had two shots at watching Guardians 2 now and given up twice. Drax jokes are over done and everyone else is just arguing all the time or spouting space mumbo jumbo. Totally lost the magic of the first one by bloating it.

Stick with it. Drax is over played but the second half of the million especially the final third I thought was very good. 

In other Marvel films, saw Thor Ragnarok. very much enjoyed it. Felt like a modern Flash Gordon. It's a little over stuffed (felt like I didnt get enough Blanchett or Goldblum) and the effects looked a bit off at times but I did enjoy it all.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I did an hour. Might pick it up again from there. I'm not sitting through that hour again.

Thor raga is fantastic fun, I thoroughly enjoyed that one. Feels like they are better when let off the leash a bit these films. Guardians 1, Thor Rag and Spidey are all good and all the least to be bogged down with expanded universe stuff.
  • I don't love Guardians 2 but it's got some fairly interesting stuff going on - interesting family stuff and also does well with not letting Quill be a prick who gets it all.
  • I did an hour. Might pick it up again from there. I'm not sitting through that hour again.

Thor raga is fantastic fun, I thoroughly enjoyed that one. Feels like they are better when let off the leash a bit these films. Guardians 1, Thor Rag and Spidey are all good and all the least to be bogged down with expanded universe stuff.

Wonder what happens after the thanos stuff. I don't mind the films being linked but a mate of mine dropped out around civil war. He enjoyed the films but just could not be arsed keeping track of it all. I think some standalone stuff would be great especially if they use it to make things less uniform, at least for a bit.

SFV - reddave360
  • Spider-man was way too bogged down with expanded universe stuff. There’s a good entertaining film there but hardly any of the characters are developed because there has to be an avengers reference or appearance every 5 minutes. Even avenger solo outings aren’t as clogged up with as much of the stuff. Can only see that getting worse as he becomes more established in the team.
  • I suspect a few of the main characters will die or retire in Infinity War. (Tony Stark dead, Cap hands the suit on to someone else but cameos later)
    Now Marvel have Fox and some of the rights back Im sure they will feature more. It makes sense to build up again to a big Thanos style fight and Galactus is perfect for that.
    The Fantastic Four are hugely popular despite the trash tier films, I think they will be central to the next generation, along with mutants but probably not the vanilla X-Men crew.
  • They spent so long going out of their way to specifically not mention mutants, I can’t see the x men (or mutants in general) being a part of mcu in the next wave, maybe waaay down the line when everyone’s forgotten them again.

I think you might be right on with F4 though. Or even just Nova, skrull, silver surfer, galactus, Adam warlock... maybe the annihilation stuff would translate over well, since they’ve already done gotg and Thanos etc.
  • Introduce Annihilus in FF, then do Annihilation after the next GOTG, which is already confirmed to feature Adam Warlock.
  • Yeah mutants may come in later like how outer space/aliens/galaxies came later in this run. They definitely need to separate it from the Jackman era mutants.
  • In case anyone had nine days free, the Independent have helpfully explained how to watch the Marvel Universe output in chronological order. No doubt they've c&p from elsewhere, but enjoy.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    I don't mind the films being linked but a mate of mine dropped out around civil war. He enjoyed the films but just could not be arsed keeping track of it all.

Me too. I dropped out of the big Marvel films and Doctor Who at the same time, I think, for that exact same reason.
  • Not long home from seeing Black Panther. It never really signposts where it’s going, which can be a good thing in films, but it meant that, when it came to the climactic sequence, I wasn’t sure if it was the climactic sequence or a peak leading on to something else.

There is a point, in that sequence, where it goes a little bit too Lord of the Rings for my liking (you’ll know it when you see it) but it’s largely good. Even Andy Serkis puts in a decent enough performance.

Some of you will be pleased to hear that it’s probably contains the least amount of MCU referencing since the first few films when there was nothing to reference. I mean, there are references, but it seems to be the minimum, only what’s necessary.

To wear my Guardian-reader hat, I like that - to put Black Panther himself aside for a moment - there are three strong women doing the bulk of the hero-ing. To wear my Sun-reader hat, I wasn’t sure which one I fancied the most.
  • I am quite excited to see this one, Coogler's prior films are excellent, and I really like Michael B. Jordan too.
  • The one with the big tits.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Wonder what happens after the thanos stuff?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Tempy wrote:
    I am quite excited to see this one, Coogler's prior films are excellent, and I really like Michael B. Jordan too.

I think this means you will you really like it. Coogler is a great director and Michael B Jordan is easily one of the best marvel villains yet. Not only does he have a genuinely good back story, but Michael B. Jordan is excellent as him. I bloody love Michael B. Jordan and have done since Fridays night Lights.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Will be bringing the two boys (12 and 5) to this in a few.

Guaranteed to miss an important plot point when the youngest wants to go to the toilet.
  • Black Panther is really good.

His sister is definitely the hottest.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah I liked Black Panther and confirmed that his sister was 10/10
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I'm not racist, but I didn't think that Black Panther was particularly amazing. The first half was kind of ok, then it did pick up considerably for a while, but I was getting a bit fed up again by the end - it isn't close to being my least favourite Marvel film by any means, but neither is it at all close to being my favourite. I did find the bloke with the huge lip thing vaguely comedic though. Maybe I am racist.
  • By contrast, I thought Black Panther was amazing.
  • jdanielp wrote:
    I'm not racist, but I didn't think that Black Panther was particularly amazing. The first half was kind of ok, then it did pick up considerably for a while, but I was getting a bit fed up again by the end - it isn't close to being my least favourite Marvel film by any means, but neither is it at all close to being my favourite. I did find the bloke with the huge lip thing vaguely comedic though. Maybe I am racist.

Yeah, you're totally racist. 

Speaking of people with stupid lips, here's the mid-credit scene from JL with Supermans CG face (wait for the smile). 

Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!