Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • Captain Marvel.

Two thumbs up.

Soundtrack reminds me of being 13 too, for an added nostalgia bonus.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'd give it one thumb up. I enjoyed the NIN throughout and the ost for sure but it just felt so low stakes and lightweight throughout.

Flora's take was
    Spoiler:

Which I think is cynical as fuck but also true.
  • Loved Captain Marvel - another top drawer roller-coaster fun ride which kept me entertained and laughing throughout.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yup too notch stuff was Captain Marvel. Ben Mendelssohn was brills
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I don't think they needed to write her in to solve the infinity war, I reckon they would have had a bunch of avenues to go down. It's a good point in time to introduce her though considering where the other characters are at power wise. I don't think she's more than current Strange or Thor.

I think what will be more important is
    Spoiler:
  • I left the cinema after the first Captain Marvel post-credits scene (the room was really bloody hot, I needed to get out and get a drink).

Was the second one just
    Spoiler:
  • Cool, ta. That was the only plot hole I really wanted to tie up. Makes sense.

I enjoyed the film. Some nice little tributes to The Right Stuff, Top Gun, etc. The de-aging CGI is still a bit uncanny valley, but it’s convincing enough to carry the film. Brie Larson was excellent as Danvers. It really does feel like this is Marvel setting out their stall for future films – they’re finished with ‘normal’ superhero movies and are moving into outright sci-fi B-movies instead.
  • The second sting actually goes for a while too. I'm guessing they referenced real footage :P
  • Much of Captian Marvel makes more sense to me now that I’ve read up and realised that the Skrulls and Chitauri are two different alien races. I thought it was the Skrulls who invaded New York at the end of the first Avengers movie and had been wondering how things were supposed to add up.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Much of Captian Marvel makes more sense to me now that I’ve read up and realised that the Skrulls and Chitauri are two different alien races. I thought it was the Skrulls who invaded New York at the end of the first Avengers movie and had been wondering how things were supposed to add up.

Ah, I was thinking that that was the Kree for some reason.
  • Nah, the Kree were the ones in the first Guardians of the Galaxy. And, I think, in the Shield TV shows too?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ve probably watched more of the Marvel output than most and had no idea about all of these different alien races.

Mind blown.
  • I’ll just get rid of this entirely just in cases!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I thought the Kree used the Chitauri as their warriors in GotG, but it appears to be a different race all together. Hmm.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That’s poor spoilering there, Coch. That could be a spoiler for any one of about 20 movies and more than half a dozen TV shows.

Probably best not to fix it now, though, that will likely just give it away.
  • Okay, so since I did the research …

In the comics, the Chitauri were a like-for-like rip off of the Skrulls. Literally the same aliens but for one of their alternate universe things.

In the movies, Marvel have decided to use them as two properly different races.

So I think our confusion is justified.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Nah, the Kree were the ones in the first Guardians of the Galaxy. And, I think, in the Shield TV shows too?

Yeah, they were the bad guys in the last series (5?) of Agents of Shield that was on Channel 4, which neatly avoided having to deal with the fallout from Infinity War in any immediate sense. I haven't ever rewatched any Marvel film so trying to remember anything specific prior to the last few years is a struggle...
  • The Kree’s appearance in Captain Marvel makes a solid link through to their behaviour in Guardians of the Galaxy. That all makes sense.

I gave up on Agents of Shield when that show started to get all ‘woo, aliens’ so I’ve no idea how well that ties in.
  • It ties in fine. I think agents struggled but I did enjoy it from season 3 and really enjoyed 4 and 5.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Disappointed by Captain Marvel last night. Probably the dullest, least-impactful film in this stupid cinematic universe since The Incredible Hulk, which was a shame. I don't like being on the same side as the review-bombing forces of darkness, but I found very little to love.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I liked Captain Marvel well enough. I'm certainly with Reg in that it seemed quite lightweight though felt the last third rescued it from being in the weakest of the MCU films.

The soundtrack grated on me slightly, which is weird as I love the music. It just seemed a bit too forced in a 'remember this is the 90s guys!' type of way.

Spoiler:
  • (Not spoilering because this is in the trailers)

I thought they pulled off the best ‘setting the time period without explicitly telling you’ I’ve ever seen, by having her crash through the roof of a Blockbuster video at the start. Grounds it immediately in a set time, for anyone who remembers it. I wonder how well that communicated with younger kids who won’t have ever seen a Blockbuster, though?
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I thought Captain Marvel was fantastic, introduced a new character very well and ties in with with storylines from past and current movies. Also loved the comedy, mainly from Fury, sprinkled throughout.

I had my doubts from the trailers Brie Larson could carry off the role of a super powered superhero, but she knocked it out the park.
    Things can only get better.
  • Spoiler:
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Had floated the idea of going to see Captain Marvel with my brother, he then said he's taking his kids to see it so I said I'll bring Nathan along. But now I've had time to think about it, and seeing as it's a 12a, I'm not going to chance it.

He's seen Thor Ragnarok at home with the pause button ready and the big wolf/fire demon/goddess of death etc. didn't phase him at all, but I think the atmosphere of being in the cinema would be too much if things took a turn. He loved Spiderverse and that was pretty intense for a PG but a 12a feels like a step too far. Moderate fantasy violence and implied strong language doesn't sound like a video nasty but fuck it, not worth the risk.
  • Good for you!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Gonna try to persuade my brother that he should ditch his sprogs too, as I still want to see the bastard.
  • poprock wrote:
    Okay, so since I did the research …

In the comics, the Chitauri were a like-for-like rip off of the Skrulls. Literally the same aliens but for one of their alternate universe things.

In the movies, Marvel have decided to use them as two properly different races.

So I think our confusion is justified.

Yeah chitauri was in the first Ultimates, as a stand in for the skrull (they had the shape shift thing still though as I recall?) They used the first Ultimates as a sort of template for Avengers I feel, if not directly. Although without the same forced ‘edginess’, as much as I love Cap being asked to surrender and legit screaming “you think this ‘A’ stands for France?!”

The Skrull are the most natural next step for the MCU, as they have done Civil war, infinity Gauntlet, and now they can move into Skrull Secret Invasion.

At that point I wonder if there is a build up to it, or if they severely retcon lots of characters... I mean, if they lose the original Avengers in the next Infinity War, but then some start showing up again/something happens to make them go away and come back, then that could explain a.. ahem... ‘switch’.

• Had floated the idea of going to see Captain Marvel with my brother, he then said he's taking his kids to see it so I said I'll bring Nathan along. But now I've had time to think about it, and seeing as it's a 12a, I'm not going to chance it. He's seen Thor Ragnarok at home with the pause button ready and the big wolf/fire demon/goddess of death etc. didn't phase him at all, but I think the atmosphere of being in the cinema would be too much if things took a turn. He loved Spiderverse and that was pretty intense for a PG but a 12a feels like a step too far. Moderate fantasy violence and implied strong language doesn't sound like a video nasty but fuck it, not worth the risk.
    Aye, that's the problem with the 12, you can never be sure if it's just because there's lots of cartoon bad guys getting bopped on the head, or if there's 1 nasty scene or vulgar language.

It's funny, when you're younger you wish they they made the 12 a 15 so they could add some tits and more gore, then you're a parent and you wish they hadn't thrown in that sex joke/face melt scene as otherwise the kids would love it.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!