Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • regmcfly wrote:
    That was not directed at anyone but I can't believe a five year old is appropriately placed to understand the ending of Infinity War. And I had a five year old next to me.

The cinema was also wrong cos it’s a 12
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • The scary thing is, until I read up on Captain Marvels rating I didn’t realise Harry Potters last 2 was a 12. And yet Bumblebee was a PG and was more violent (IMHO) because they were real guns.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • I sort of agree with reg, but at the same time understand every child can be different.

My eldest is 4 and also cannot sit through most U films. She’s watched Moana at least 232,567 times, and STILL runs out the room when shiny crab shows up, or even when Moana’s dad gets angry and yells at her. It’s a bit of a shame as we can’t watch most animated films without needing to skip scenes/turn it off. Little mermaid, nope. Incredibles, nope. 101 Dalmatians, skippable.

We did watch all of inside out today though, that was a great one for her. Except all the sadness and the odd teary moment, but that happens to me always too, we could just hug those parts out.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    That was not directed at anyone but I can't believe a five year old is appropriately placed to understand the ending of Infinity War. And I had a five year old next to me.
    Weirdly, i think sometimes you can get away with stuff when they're younger, that becomes a bit more of an issue as they get older.
    At 5, it's really if something is too frightening or gruesome that's an issue...choice language, mature themes and context can just wash over them and they just enjoy moment to moment.
    As they get nearer 10, they understand much more about these things being pretend, so the action is less of an issue...but any swears get a gasp of recognition, 'romance' gets a "yuck", and mature themes become distressing to either them, or parents when it results in awkward questions!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Jurassic Park being a PG is odd. I remember filling my nappy when I went to see it with my family when I was 11, so Nathan hasn't seen it yet. I'd not put Thor and the rest of the gang titting about higher on the scale than people being scranned by dinosaurs.
  • Jurassic Park being a PG is odd. I remember filling my nappy when I went to see it with my family when I was 11, so Nathan hasn't seen it yet. I'd not put Thor and the rest of the gang titting about higher on the scale than people being scranned by dinosaurs.

Oh yeeeeeah. I was in year 3 when that came out, so like, 7 or 8? Saw that film 3 times in the cinema.

I think it took that many gos to see the whole thing through my fingers.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I don't suppose they had 12A back then, so it was a choice of PG or 15.
  • The boy wanted to watch Jurassic World, so we watched up until the point just before it all goes wrong. It’s quite a nice half hour film, guy trains some raptors, some kids visit their auntie(?) at a theme park. The end. He seemed happy with that.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The Daddy wrote:
    The boy wanted to watch Jurassic World, so we watched up until the point just before it all goes wrong. It’s quite a nice half hour film, guy trains some raptors, some kids visit their auntie(?) at a theme park. The end. He seemed happy with that.

That's quality
    SFV - reddave360
  • The Daddy wrote:
    The boy wanted to watch Jurassic World, so we watched up until the point just before it all goes wrong. It’s quite a nice half hour film, guy trains some raptors, some kids visit their auntie(?) at a theme park. The end. He seemed happy with that.
    Ha, there's probably a theme for youtube series there...watching and reviewing films up to the point they stop being a U rated film.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Ha, there's probably a theme for youtube series there...watching and reviewing films up to the point they stop being a U rated film.

Didn't ITV do something with their films years ago in this regard? Censoring violence, nudity and swearing? Yuppie kaye kemosabi!
    SFV - reddave360
  • Jurassic Park being a PG is odd. I remember filling my nappy when I went to see it with my family when I was 11, so Nathan hasn't seen it yet. I'd not put Thor and the rest of the gang titting about higher on the scale than people being scranned by dinosaurs.

After reading this, I do actually remember the warning now, but interesting nonetheless:

The examiner report we publish here makes a clear argument for a PG certificate on a number of counts. They saw that Jurassic Park came from a long dynasty of monster movies, such as King Kong or the original The Lost World, and that the CG effects would be of huge appeal to families. The scary elements are noted, but the examiner recognises a key aspect of the roles of the two child characters in the film, “with one of the children being resourceful when the other is scared, one pointing out the excitement at a time when the other is fearful”. These onscreen reassurances and the balance they provide are crucial aspects when making a classification decision.

The examiner report mentions showing the film at a test screening, and this was the case as the BBFC held a test screening of Jurassic Park for an audience of 200 children, aged 8 to 11, in June 1993. The children were invited from five schools both in and outside London.

A report of the event describes the reaction of most of the audience as one of “’cheerful terror’ rather than ‘genuine anguish’”. A questionnaire given out after the screening revealed that there was some degree of anxiety for several members of the young audience - 37% did not feel certain that the children in the film would be alright – but overall 96% said that they enjoyed the film “a lot”, including all of the 8 year olds. Just one child ticked “not at all”.

Given a choice of phrases to describe their experience of the film – “too frightening for me” or “good and scary”, only 13% of the children said “too frightening” and 82% chose “good and scary”. The BBFC therefore had to choose a rating that would not deny the 82% the opportunity to enjoy the dino-thrills. A 12 or 15 could not accommodate that as those certificates would prohibit the admittance of anybody under those ages. The BBFC opted to award a PG certificate, but with a warning attached – “contains sequences which may be particularly disturbing to younger children or those of a sensitive disposition”.

Jurassic Park was rated PG for its video release the following year, and was one of the first titles to bear consumer advice notes (the equivalent of BBFCinsight today).
  • Yeah theres a fair bit of that.
    The bloke on the loo in Jurassic Park never got eaten on ITV.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

The cinema was also wrong cos it’s a 12
    It's a 12A at the cinema and 12 in home release, same as all other 12s. 12A doesn't exist for home release.

I don't suppose they had 12A back then, so it was a choice of PG or 15.

12 has existed since 1989 (Batman). It was modified to 12A for cinema release with, I believe, The Bourne Identity although people often mix it up with the Spider-Man stuff that was going on. Bourne was first one done at 12A, but Spidey already had been rated 12, and BBFC don't often backtrack, hence why changing to a 12A was a thing.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's an interesting one because often we discuss it in terms of actual violent images, but BBFC is more focused on things like tone. So whilst the end of Avengers is nothing near as violent as Jurassic Park, tonally it is far more upsetting.

CF - http://www.cbbfc.co.uk/12

For both 12/12A stuff and note first thing they talk about is tone / theme.
  • regmcfly wrote:

My 5yo watched the film and enjoyed it. He has seen it several times since then on DVD. He doesn’t understand all of it and doesn’t need to, he is 5 and just wants fun. Plus there are also the father-son chats afterwards to talk about bits he didn’t understand, which makes it all the more fun and interesting.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I was more disturbed by the cinema setting on fire when I went to see Jurassic Park 2 as a kid.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I read that tagline as ‘Avenge the Alien’ and was very confused. So I reread it and came up with ‘Avenge the Allen’ and that didn’t help much.
  • Barry Allen.

Disney are buying DC.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I read that tagline as ‘Avenge the Alien’ and was very confused. So I reread it and came up with ‘Avenge the Allen’ and that didn’t help much.
    That's what I did. Why haven't they got the special Avengers A in the word Avenge?
  • Because The Avengers have fallen, so tie the logo to the word.
    I dont think it works as is but I get that decision.
  • Yep, that’s what it seems to me too.
  • Avengers endgame has a 182min run time with no intermission. That's a long movie.

Ps. Saw Captain Marvel, thought it was ok.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Spoiler:

I don't see it taking off.
  • Thanks Dino, I've been avoiding reading that runtime information on news sites all week.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Wait, is runtime now a spoiler? Surely you find out when booking tickets? I think we were asked specifically (by customers) to add the runtime to the website when booking when I worked for a cinema company...

Edit: also they’re probably still editing anyway, that seems a little too long.
  • It's a spoiler if it's a salient point that you're actively avoiding before seeing a film. Personally I don't want to know that this isn't really the climax of a film I'm watching because I know there's still actually another hour to go. Others I'm sure will differ.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Knowing runtime is very useful for some planning the day/cinema trip/drinking etc. But I see G’s point.
  • Yeah, I kind of get that. I don’t think it’s Dino’s fault though, I would have accidentally done the same if I’m honest.

Oh I also saw Captain Marvel. I liked Danvers and
    Spoiler:

...quite a lot. Wasn’t overly impressed as it maybe crammed too much in, and also felt like it was made by someone who was either too old in the 90s or wasn’t even around. Was waaaaay too on the nose, and there was even a moment of a song being played on Vinyl.

I laughed a lot after about how much I loved ‘listening to my pearl jam UMDs’ whilst ‘watching a laserdisc of the matrix 2’.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!