Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    His transformation is quite something from his stocky build in You Were Never Really Here. Looks promising, though I hope the justification for his violence is not as simple as he was picked on by bullies
  • I saw a comment for the Joker trailer that said "This is Falling Down but if Michael Douglas was played by Joaquin Phoenix playing the Joker"

I still cant wait to see this film purely to see what Joaquin is like in it, but my god that hot take is a real zinger.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    THANKS FOR PISSING ON MY CHIPS SHABBY. I have a proper IMAX at home - need to watch it ASAP to avoid spoilers but always having the option of a second viewing when I get back.

It was a very gloaty piss, yes :D
  • Does seem that way Rouj but it's better than just "falling in a vat of acid".

I think the best origin story will probably still be Ledger's joker and his non-telling of it.

Are we still supposed to be getting the Leto Joker movie too?
  • They should make like, 5 totally contradictory Joker origin films.
  • Indeed. Surely (in my very narrow experience) the character works better as an unexplained element of chaos in society, just an extra 'thing' that can't be accounted for in any way. That was certainly put to good use in TDK anyway.

This new film is in danger of making him quite boring.
  • I dunno, I'm not exactly impressed with the whole "Joker doesn't have an origin" attempt to make him a semi-mythical Loki figure. He was always an also-ran like the rest of Batman's rogues gallery. He's a good mirror foil for Batman's main characteristics, but because they had to write Batman into being so superhumanly intelligent just to avoid the possibility of a violent vigilante ever having to face making a mistake and mauling an innocent person, that Joker had to be superhumanly intelligent as well, which doesn't vibe with the "evil clown" schtick.

The only danger that the new film presents for me interests is that I don't particularly want to feel sympathetic to Joker, but that's where they seem to be going with it. Very interested in seeing Phoenix do the whole Psycho thing, as long as it doesn't rile up the right wing psycho killers even more with the whole "society is the real evil! Why not be crazy and go round killing folk you don't like?!"
  • I'm with chump on this. i don't really see the need or point of origin/explanation for the bad guy being bad. Seems to defeat the purpose of a comic book bad guy...they're there to represent bad things, and the good guy comes along and punches them to make things better. Making the bad guy some kind of victim or sympathetic figure just messes up the whole dynamic. Unless the sequel to this film is Batman using his vast fortune to rejuvenate the city, improve education and provide adequate mental health support and suitable employment for all...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Exploring why people do bad things makes for good drama/storytelling. Supervillain origin stories are going to be a thing, betcha. And the Joker is probably the most famous supervillain there is, across DC or Marvel.
  • poprock wrote:
    Exploring why people do bad things makes for good drama/storytelling.
    Agree...and from what i saw of the trailer, it does look a good/interesting film...I just don't like it being tied to a comic book supervillain.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • poprock wrote:
    Exploring why people do bad things makes for good drama/storytelling. Supervillain origin stories are going to be a thing, betcha. And the Joker is probably the most famous supervillain there is, across DC or Marvel.

Hang on pal, I think you're clearly overlooking nuclear man.

SFV - reddave360
  • They should make like, 5 totally contradictory Joker origin films.

This would be genuinely amazing. One should involve the fact he’s immortal and include dragons.

The last I heard the Joker came from centuries old dragons. And then came back to life with bats in the Lazarus pit. Or something.

The joker coming back with a bullethole in his forehead was so good and creepy.
  • I read bullethole as butthole. That would also be an interesting take...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Batman and Butthead.
  • It's a YES from me. :D
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Love how they just left Hawkeye's barnet as is.
  • Captain Marvel’s gonna need a bigger helmet.
  • djchump wrote:
    I dunno, I'm not exactly impressed with the whole "Joker doesn't have an origin" attempt to make him a semi-mythical Loki figure. He was always an also-ran like the rest of Batman's rogues gallery. He's a good mirror foil for Batman's main characteristics, but because they had to write Batman into being so superhumanly intelligent just to avoid the possibility of a violent vigilante ever having to face making a mistake and mauling an innocent person, that Joker had to be superhumanly intelligent as well, which doesn't vibe with the "evil clown" schtick.

The only danger that the new film presents for me interests is that I don't particularly want to feel sympathetic to Joker, but that's where they seem to be going with it. Very interested in seeing Phoenix do the whole Psycho thing, as long as it doesn't rile up the right wing psycho killers even more with the whole "society is the real evil! Why not be crazy and go round killing folk you don't like?!"

If they go down the line of the "killing joker" comic that could work (shooting Barbara Gordon in the stomach, paralyzing her then stripping her clothes off and sending naked pictures of her bleeding and in pain to her father (commissioner Gordon). However i don't think DC universe paymasters are that bold. Agree that the audience shouldn't be sympathetic to joker. They had this problem with suicide squad where deadshot came across to the audience as a sympathetic character.

If they turned this into a trilogy and went down the "killing joker" route, with Bats making an appearance by end of film2 or in film 3 that could work. But they really need to have him through his journey turn into a nasty sinister psychotic piece of work. Knowing DC's track record so far they will fuck it up ala Jarrett Leto awful Joker.
  • FTR, “Killing Joke”. And DC have already done an animated version of it.
  • Yeh it wasn't too bad. Yes I got the name wrong.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Oops, wrong thread.
  • Anyone gone to see Shazaam?
  • I saw it last night! I thought it was brilliant. Funny and full of heart. It really is Big with superpowers and felt like a big fun family film.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • I was massively down on the idea of a Joker film. But that trailer looks awesome as a movie. I still have major reservations about a Joker movie. Ill probably treat it the way I did the Solo movie. 
    And it has one massive thing going for it.....

.....no Jared Fucking Leto.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • More films should have no Jared Leto.
  • New Hellboy film seems to be getting an absolute mauling by the critics then.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!