Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • Both Avengers: Infinity War and Ant Man And The Wasp are currently on NowTV. You get your first month for free when you sign up, so that's the winner*.
    Amazon Video also has both films has both films for an opportunistic £9.99 each. Fuck that price.

*assuming you get the same deal I got.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yes both are on Sky movies (which means it gets pulled from everywhere else).

In the US avengers IW is on Netflix, so a trial and a VPN should help?

• Kernowgaz wrote:
    It’s such a pain in the ass to merely rent AntMan and Wasp.

If you had Sky movies , it’s just turned up on there

I do. I’m watching it now :D
  • Ant Man And Wasp.

A film I went into for the plot and some understanding of the quantum stuff and left feeling like it was largely trivial guff. Fortunately there’s a fair few visual gags and Paul Rudd being Paul Rudd that the film itself hangs together. In terms of being an action flick that is based on comics I love how they use the inherent flexibility and scope afforded by comics to actually make something more interesting on a visual and action level.
  • Starting watching aquaman. 20 mins in and there are loads of what the fuck moments. Not in a good way either.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Starting watching aquaman. 20 mins in and there are loads of what the fuck moments. Not in a good way either.

Oh boy, are you in for some fun.

SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Starting watching aquaman. 20 mins in and there are loads of what the fuck moments. Not in a good way either.

Oh boy, are you in for some fun.

It's so shit. More DC drivel. Wonder Woman only decent DC movie so far.

• Aquaman was tiring. Theres all this CG epic shit going on and I'm sat there yawning.
  • Aw man I was gonna check Aquadude out at some point because it at least looked enjoyable. Also interested in it as a James Wan film.

Guess when I watch it I should keep my expectations low. I did that for Justice League and didn’t hate it or anything.
  • There was so much cgi. Some of the scenes just thrown in so that we could have more cgi. And jesus DC films, all your villains are shit. Did you learn nothing from the batman movies ?

SFV - reddave360
  • 1hr 10min into it and we turned it off. Me and missus love our comic book movies as well. This is cgi overload turd. May have it on in background tomorrow as we get on with other stuff just to see how it ends. How can marvel get it so right and DC screw it up so bad?
  • I was thinking about this recently, and how bonkers it is that Marvel films of all things are making such ungodly sums of cash, yet still keeping the quality up as high as it is. I mean, I’ve seen transformers and a fast/furious film, and I have no idea how they got away with it as long as they did.

I think it actually comes down to the fact that Disney bought Marvel. They have the writers, they have the people there who know what they would want to see with these characters, and Kevin Feige steering the ship.

They also have these great directors, well known for cult classics in horror (James Gunn) or Science Fiction (Joss Whedon) or straight up comedy (Taika Waititi) who are obviously given quite a bit of freedom to make their films.

The only time it looked like it was going to fall apart was Age Of Ultron, and Whedon said repeatedly he had lost loads of creative control to Disney, and it was too stressful to balance everything they wanted, so he left swiftly after. I think they actually learnt from that, and after seeing what the Russos did with Cap2 (the fucking Russos! The Arrested Development guys!) they then have them 3 of the biggest Marvel films to date.

The trust they place in the entire crew is probably a massive part of why it works I think. Also makes each different enough that they don’t get too boring. Like with the comics, really!
  • I think the key to Marvel is the slow brew.
    21 films over 10 years allows for things to escalate and breath.

Especially coming to the last few movies.

The mumbo jumbo rule is really important. Audiences in general will only accept one layer of mumbo jumbo. Could be ghosts, aliens, super powers, time travel, anything outside of our reality.

If you double down on the mumbo jumbo you lose audiences. Ghosts yes, time travel yes, time travelling ghost? Wtf?

The slow boil of Marvel has allowed them to build a universe that gives space to double mumbo jumbo. They did a bunch of movies about superheroes on earth, largely grounded in science (Iron Man, Cap, Hulk all science based).
    They did Thor who wasnt of earth and did some cutaway scenes to off earth threats then had them invade in Avengers.
    That led to Guardians, Thor Ragnarok etc. Strange and Ant Man pushed more spaces while being grounded on earth.

By the time infinity war lands you have a layer of mumbo jumbo represented in each infinity stone, but none have dropped out of nowhere. They were all drip fed and built on.

It is actually very, very clever and could only be done by respecting the audience.
  • Very good point livdiv. Agree with you cosmic.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    NYT have a slightly misnomered oral history of the start of the Marvel franchise (it’s just interviews with RDJ and Kevin Feige spliced together), but it’s interesting enough.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/18/movies/avengers-endgame-robert-downey-jr.html
  • The whole justice league is a mess. If we stick to Man of Steel as the launch point. Then I think they probably should have done a stand alone batman movie (no appearance of superman). Then a flash or cyborg movie. Again other than superman, normal humans who become superheroes. Then you could have gone more mystical with wonder woman and aquaman. Finish off with Martian manhunter. Then a JLA movie. I would have a Bats v Sup movie further down the line. Building the tense up between the two over a course of movies.
  • Bats vs superman was the absolute worst choice for a second movie. I know marvel have done lots of hero vs hero stuff but it really wasnt until civil war that it was the backbone of a movie.

And why did suicide squad come so early as well?

Gagh, what a steaming mess.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Because DC looked at it and went "what's our biggest sellers for comics? What's the most likely thing to drive ticket sales?" And that is Superman, batman, Harley Quinn/suicide squad etc.

They didn't look to build up a franchise over ten years. They wanted ticket sales now. That's how I see it anyway.

Iron Man was not *that* well known to the wider world, if at all. And I know marvel had sold off a bunch of its more famous characters like Spider-Man and Fantastic 4, but they started small and grew large. DC just wanted to go big.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • But then didn't actually back that up with quality movies. Every film reeks of misguided productions, of many voices shouting to get what they want and then a product which looks like it's been salvaged rather than lovingly created.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Pretty much on the button there. I must admit, I never thought if iron man as a big marvel name before the movies but maybe not having spidey, fantastic four and the x men meant marvel had to make do with previously underexposed characters. Superman and batman in particular had a lot to live up to.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah true, he’s not as recognisable as a wolverine, but then Iron Man ended with a hint towards captain America/the avengers, and as iron man is a key member to that group it makes sense to start there. It’s like they actually believed it would work from the get go, and got Disney to agree. That’s not something you see very often.

Oh and speaking of creative control, and making sure the films are different (ish) enough to stand on their own, look at Star Wars. I’m not a massive fan, but I was excited for the new films and have been mostly disappointed. Except that last Jedi film.
  • Ah i think the marvel films are good but only because they don’t try to be too interesting.

Watch how the praise fro the last avengers film (and I suspect the next one) will relate to the logistics of getting the film to merely work. This is the bar they’re aiming for and the one they need to cross to make a billion because they’ve got enough divs on the hook.
  • Nah, that's a bit harsh. Avengers infinity war worked in spite of the need to get everything to come together. And in thanos, they created their best villain. Brolins work with him was great.
    SFV - reddave360
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Rewatched I.W. yesterday and the two and half hours flew by. Pretty much a perfect Superheros movie, a little too many goofy Banner/Hulk moments but that’s being picky.
    ♪ I can’t wait for Saturday to begin ♪...
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I watched it 2 days ago again. Great fun, again. Was on DVD though (came free with Sky digital purchase) and it looked like dogshit even on my bog standard 32” HDTV. Boy was watching it downstairs on Sky on our (standard) 43” and it looked so much nicer. Bloody DVDs, eh? No wonder they are given away. 

ReWatched 5 or 6 Marvel films on flights back from holiday a few days back just to refresh. Wanna try and get kids to watch Ant Man 2.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I watched it again last night. It really is good.
    Only part that I'm not keen on is some of the Wakanda stuff, it's a bit by numbers and they collected together most of the characters I'm not bothered about.

The Thor, Guardians stuff is excellent. I love Starlord feeling overshadowed by Thor.
  • Loved thors arrival in wakanda. Awesome superhero stuff.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Thanos lines/bits are my fave.
  • Was watching a vid about improvisations. “Why is Gamora?” was a great improv!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!