Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • Yeah that got a good laugh.
    Drax was back on form in it, I thought he was a bit overdone in GotG2.
  • I watched Infinity War the other night too. Loved it all over again. The fact that pretty much every hero was given moments to shine is immensely impressive.

Also just watched Into the Spiderverse with my little one. He adored every second and was in real hysterics at points - especially Spiderham!
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Anyone got any idea who or what will replace thanos as the big bad in phase 4 of the marvel universe? There must be other stories as important or large infinity war.
  • Galactus is the obvious choice.
  • That would require them to succesfully do Fantastic Four and I am not sure they have it in them
  • Venture Bros ruined Fantastic Four for me anyway. Their parody is so spot on.

Richards is an chaveaunist egomanic that makes the other's lives a misery.
    Sue Storm is invisible because she is so browbeaten.
    The Thing is a simpleton.
    The Human Torch has been trapped in a glass case by Richards and exists purely as a generator for their building.
  • They could always take a stab at a full on Kree - Skrull War.

The proper one, as opposed to the skirmish referenced in Captain Marvel.
  • I thought Skrull was an obvious choice too. Like, they could have infiltrated since the 90s and you find out over xx number of films who is and who isn’t secretly Skrull.

But then, they sort of changed the narrative with them in Cap Marv, and they sort of did that whole story with Hydra...

Annihilus* was talked about for a while as being in Endgame, maybe that’s where you go?

Edit: *Misspelling.
  • Annihilus wouldn't be a bad shout, I wouldn't mind if they went a little more left field with somebody like Immortus or Beyonder.
  • If they're bringing X-People into it that gives them a fair few more options (eg Avengers vs X-Men). They're only very loosely based around the comics, so they can do what they like really. There has already been a Galactus invasion in one of the abysmal FF films and I'd have thought the all-powerful extra-terrestrial invader is a bit played out now. But what isn't?

The best crossover arcs for me are either the smaller scale stuff that doesn't have literally everyone coming together, or the alternate universe ones like Age of Apocalypse. They could do the original Secret Wars if they just want a one and done team up movie.
  • Tempy wrote:
    That would require them to succesfully do Fantastic Four and I am not sure they have it in them

I think it can be done. The problem is they are basically the template for the modern age of superheroes, so anything you do with them has likely already been done in the previous films.

But if you are willing to adapt the source material, and for example shoot them through a wormhole or something it gives you a more interesting angle to come at.

As for who to set up as big bad for the next phase, FF provide that answer. Doctor Doom. For all the FF themselves suffer, Doom doesn't. Hes by far one of the most interesting villians Marvel have.
  • They need to just start the FF movie with the shuttle launching, and them being dragged through some cosmic shit, ending in the Negative Zone. Blastarr can be the main enemy with whispers of Annihilus in the background.

Sets up FF without wondering why any other NY based heroes aren't helping, and establishes Annihilus as a future threat.

How to bring the X-Men in will be the most difficult unless they McGuffin it with the Infinity Gauntlet.

"Many More Mutants!"
  • Now disney have the FF and xmen back hopefully they can get the proper marvel treatment in next few years. Wolverine as a avenger? Yes please.
  • I suspect that going forward, Marvel are going to go down a multiverse route.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Not to dampen any x men ideas but that universe feels played out and in need of a rest. I think fantastic four could work well as part of the current line up and after that when most of the current crop are done, that's the time to build up the xmen series again.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I can’t see them going full on with an X-Men reboot anytime soon, although that doesn’t stop them laying the groundwork and introducing elements of the X universe into the next wave of the MCU.
  • I think they’d be smart to bring everything back a few notches in the way that each infinity stone film (although not explicitly so) let up to thanos.

Have a few battles that seem irrelevant to anything for a few films but pull them together later. A perpetual and one way ramping up would be totally crap and bad.
  • I think after end game a few palette cleansers are going to be needed anyway.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I'm pretty sure that Kevin bloke said X Men are 5+ years away.
  • Yeah they wrote all of the next phase without any of the new licenses. I think we’ll be seeing Nova et al first.

I hope, anyway. PLEASE SILVER SURFER.
  • How long til they exhaust all narrative threat anyway? You can only really up the ante a smidge when you just killed half the universe. There are only so many 'big bads' to do.

Smaller scale stuff like Logan is going to be the way to go. Doesnt have to be the same tone, but more tangible stakes are less prone to the diminishing returns of hyperbole.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • They’ve got 80 years of stories to mine.

The cinematic universe has barely scratched the surface.

The original infinity gauntlet run was 28 years ago, it was by no means the last “event” comic.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Cineworld Edinburgh has been refitting its screens lately so not all 13 screens are open right now, but Endgame is going to be showing on all of the open screens from Friday, which is utterly ridiculous...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yep, and when you see 17 AMCs in America are going to be opening for 96 hours straight from Friday and the tracking numbers are suggesting a $300 mill domestic weekend only maybe it's actually the smartest plan.

Unless you want to see Dumbo.
  • jdanielp wrote:
    Cineworld Edinburgh has been refitting its screens lately so not all 13 screens are open right now, but Endgame is going to be showing on all of the open screens from Friday, which is utterly ridiculous...

Aye, Edinburgh's refurb has been plagued with problems. We're showing it in 16 of our 18 screens on opening night alone.
  • I'm going to the biggest screen in Ireland (in certain aspect ratios) on opening night at 20:00.

65ft x 25ft

It also has Dolby Atmos sound which is awesome.

Two more sleeps.
  • I'm going to the biggest screen in Ireland (in certain aspect ratios) on opening night at 20:00. 65ft x 25ft It also has Dolby Atmos sound which is awesome. Two more sleeps.

Which cinema is that out of interest?

I'm escaping work early to see a 2D at the Cineworld in Dublin. It's one of the pooper screens as the IMAX only had 3D showings.
  • Screen 1 in IMC Carlow.

Called the Galactic screen.
  • I normally try for the first weekend if a film is going to be a spoiler fest. But I’ve gone full dweeb for this - 10:30 Thursday morning. Literally the soonest I can get the kid packed off with her gran and make it to the multiplex.
  • I’ve got the double bill at the Milton Keynes IMAX, so it’s going to be a late one on Wednesday night / Thursday morning.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!