Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • Looks like the same approach they had for Steppenwolf, would explain why he was ditched in the original version.
    Of course nothing ferments like poor cg that has sat on a shelf for a few years.
  • I don’t know what it is about that 4 hour, Zack Snyder re-master of a piss poor film that I’ve already watched but something about it isn’t quite doing it for me.

I have faith in James Gunn to produce an entertaining film.

The first Wonder Woman was less than mediocre pish, elevated by Gal Gadot being pretty much perfect. Looks like more of the same.

Batman should be shelved for a decade or so. From all media. And the Joker needs to go with him. But they won’t do that so this is probably the best alternative. I remember a Detective Comics issue I read in the 90s. It started in a morgue and was a one and done, grisly story about Batman tracking down a serial killer. It was pretty great but even in the comics it seemed hard to find more stories like that. Too many event stories and all the rest of it. The low-key brooding, dark stuff is always what I’ve wanted them to go with in other adaptations. So I’m quite interested in the Battinson version. He’s got to be up there as one of the most overused characters in pop culture at this point though, so hard to summon any enthusiasm.
  • I've got your brooding right here.

CdVq00y.gif
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think the Joker might be the most overused shit in existence. Last year's movie didn't help and Joker's Trick appears to not be active, so let it rest.

That Todd Phillps movie sucked so fucking hard by the way.
  • @H
    It was a very strange and pointless film.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • But why doesn't batman dance anymore?
    SFV - reddave360
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    @H
    It was a very strange and pointless film.

It is a vanity project in the same mould as we mock actors putting on prosthetics to be historical figures. Contributes nothing to anything and anyone who likes it is probably insane.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    But why doesn't batman dance anymore?

Remember the Batusi?
  • Why is there a second suicide squad. It’s like final fantasy 2!

But also suicide squad was utter dog shit.

I’ll watch Wonder Woman 84 after I’ve caught up on the others - I thought 75% Wonder Woman was utterly fantastic.
  • Wonder Woman looks good, Batman does not.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Imagine sitting through 4 hours of Zak Snyder being miserable about superheroes.
    His longer Watchmen cut does work better as a film without really adding anything. On the down side, the released Justice League felt beyond fixing. I'll pirate it out of curiosity.
  • The joss whedon justice league is the worst hero movie since Iron man and batman begin the trend. Its rotten.

I'd put shumachers batman two above that. Even green lantern works better as a film (and that's still terrible). The only film I think that matches it is that funtastic four one.
    SFV - reddave360
  • It's not really the Joss Whedon Justice League. He took over in post production.
  • It's not really the Joss Whedon Justice League. He took over in post production.

I'm not blaming him, just to identify it makes sense. It's a mess of a film.
    SFV - reddave360
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I thought Whedon oversaw Supes CGI no tache reshoots, no? Certainly thought it was more than just post and edit.
    Things can only get better.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    mannaboy wrote:
    I thought Whedon oversaw Supes CGI no tache reshoots, no? Certainly thought it was more than just post and edit.

It sure was. 80 pages is over an hour of film

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/19/movies/snyder-cut-gadot-affleck.html
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Cheers Reg. Will watch the Synder Cut just out of interest to see how much different it is.
    Things can only get better.
  • I’ve only just found out that HBO is doing a GCPD series that ties in with the new Batman film. Terence Winter of Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire game is developing it. Consider my appetite wetted.
  • Yes wetted. I’m absolutely drenched here.
  • monkey wrote:
    I’ve only just found out that HBO is doing a GCPD series that ties in with the new Batman film. Terence Winter of Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire game is developing it. Consider my appetite wetted.

Now that is worth getting excited about.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yeah, I have faith in HBO.
    Gotham, the tv series, was that mid tier American stuff that doesn't click with me often.
  • Gotham was awful. Some nice twists on the batman stuff in terms of ideas and the cast seemed OK but it was so sloppy and dated in terms of execution (real stink of the 90s) that I couldn't stick with it. Very every nice idea, you had to get through 2 to 3 episodes of hot garbage.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I find that with most American TV, even the stuff people here rate.
    Most networks don't have the balls to edit the season down to less episodes.
  • That Batman trailer looked rad, what are you all on about.

Suicide Squad also looks great. I'll also watch the Justice League new cut, I didn't much like the original but it wasn't terrible or anything, just a generic action film, am interested in what tonally changes etc between them, mainly for curiosities sake. Also he hasn't been given Hollywood money for this right? I wonder how it'll look...
  • I'd be curious to watch the snyder cut - I thought 300 was good fun, Man of Steel has its moments even if its not a great take on Superman and Batman v Superman was ok in directors cut mode.

I standby my claim that Justice league is the pits though. Its neither a Joss Whedon movie or a Zac Snyder one. It's Jack Wheeder movie. Urrrgh.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah, the bad CGI face was indeed as awful as everyone said, I thought Cyborg always looked like crap in the film, and as you said, they tried to shoehorn in the 'whedonisms' and it was pretty rotten for it.

I think I have seen so many actual godawful films though that I didn't think, on the whole, it was as bad as everyone said. I would quite like to see 'the Zack Snyder version' though, as like you, I think he's done some decent stuff and probably had a vision for it which wasn't represented on screen. For better or worse...

That Dawn of the Dead remake was great though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!