Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • I'm just excited for the new horror-style dr strange, and a new Blade movie. Also am guessing that secret invasion logo is an animated special thing and not a marvel event movie right?

edit: oh its a nick fury tv show, forgot entirely spiderman ended with nick fury being a/working with skrulls...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Loki has some big 'we entirely stole the concept and vibe of Angel because no one remembers it anymore except the puppet episode' energy.
  • Why was Wonder Woman 1984 released in cinema (dec 16th) when most cinemas are shut? Surely it would have made sense to hold it back ala Top Gun 2 until the cinemas are open again properly and you can have full audiences.

Seems a strange decision. I would have gone to watch it if i knew.
  • I think they want to release it on streaming ASAP but they need to release it in cinemas for contract reasons.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There comes a point when investors need to see returns. I thought it was a good idea to turn it into a Christmas at home movie, especially given it seems to be quite light in tone.

No Time To Die has been costing MGM $1 million a month in interest on the loans it took out for it, in contrast.
  • So WW84 is... ok.
    Quite generic, especially after the first one being a little bit different and interesting re the period it was set and the set pieces.
    I’d put 84 in the same tier as Dr Strange - enjoyable enough but I’m in no rush to watch it again... Competent, better than the other DC stuff but not great.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I thought WW84 was a hot mess and mostly in a bad way. Not Aquaman levels of terrible, but certainly a lot of notches below the passable first WW movie.
    Things can only get better.
  • I’m leaning more towards hot mess. The first one was Dr Strange level. Poor to mediocre apart from the two stars and the no-mans-land bit.

This one had four good actors and performances, no stand out action sequences and the absurdity of the central plot device quickly unravelled the story into incoherency. Way too long as well. You can chop half an hour out of that easily.
    Spoiler:
  • I'm going to watch it tonight. Loves me a DC movie.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Bloody suicide squad fanboys.
  • :D
  • Watching WW84...and it’s fucking dreadful. Must be about an hour in, and it’s boring me to death. Please tell me it gets better.
  • There's an amazing bit where she swings off a missile?
  • Literally just seen that. Dreadful.
  • Is this being acquired via the high seas?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Yup. Only way in the U.K. at the moment.
  • It should be thrown back in the sea and left to drown. It's relentlessly terrible.
  • I just watched Angry Joe's review.
    Wow. Looks a stinker.

What the hell is Mando doing?
  • g.man wrote:
    It should be thrown back in the sea and left to drown. It's relentlessly terrible.
    It's certainly no Bloodshot, I'll bet.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I just watched Angry Joe's review.
    Wow. Looks a stinker.

Was he angry about it?

• Yes.
    Yes he was.
  • A surprising turn of events...
    SFV - reddave360
  • LivDiv wrote:

He’s... Jamoning it up.

I’ll get my coat.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • So, Wonder Woman 1984.
    Let's cut to the chase, because having lost two and a half hours of my life watching this absolute dumpster fire, I'm not prepared to waste a lot of my remaining time on this earth writing about this Christmas turkey.
    This is, without a shadow of a doubt, the single worst DC Universe movie they've made yet, and fuck me, but it's a pretty low bar to start with.
    This is worse than Suicide Squad.
    This is worse than Batman v Superman.
    This is worse than The Justice League.
    It's insultingly bad. It's incredibly boring. The acting is wooden. The direction is non-existent. The writing is nonsensical. Honestly, the list of cinematic crimes on show here is fucking endless, and to crown it all, I'm genuinely staggered that this movie was written and directed by a woman, because I thought the whole thing was really quite insulting to the female of the species. Yup. It really is that bad.
    None of it makes a lick of sense, and no-one comes out of it smelling of roses. In fact I'd go as far as to say that if Pascal didn't have The Mandalorian on his CV, this could well have ended his career.
    Wiig also gives a career worst performance, and let's not forget she has Ghostbusters 2016 on her CV. Pine phones in his unnecessary reprise of the Trevor character, and even Gadot is oddly charmless this time round.
    I gather when they made this that it quite understandably tested really badly with preview audiences, and some re-shoots were done. Whatever the case, it must have been the cinematic equivalent of bowel cancer in it's original form, for this to be considered an improved version.
    I'm speechless that because of the pandemic, this film has sat on the shelf for the best part of a year, yet in all that time, nobody at Warner Bros thought, "you know, maybe we could use this down time to maybe lick this into some kind of watchable shape."
    I fully expect this to absolutely tank at the box office. It really is that bad. What is annoying, is that WB will undoubtably use the pandemic as the excuse for it's failure, when the truth is, it's just one of the worst superhero movies ever made.
    Consider yourselves warned then. It's two and a half hours of your lives you will never get back, and if you still want to see it out of some sort of understandably morbid curiosity, then I'll leave you with this. Get it from the high seas, and for the love of God, do not pay money to see it. Go give a tenner to a homeless person instead. You'll both get more out of that, rather than wasting your hard earned cash on garbage like this.

fool me once

g.man
  • Very 'on the fence' review there from G...
    SFV - reddave360
  • Reads like a 7
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • G’s right but I thought it was ok on some level. The Christmas Day, full of food and booze level. The story is a shambles buts it’s the length that kills it. There’s barely any action for the first hour or so and when it comes it’s not good. You really feel the length on the back half. One of those ones where you pause it to see how longs left and you can’t believe that you’ve only been sat there an hour and you’re not even halfway through.
  • To be fair, quite a few of the marvel movies fall into the overlong trap. Unless it's really needed, most superhero movies would be much better at the 90 minute mark.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Shit, was going to watch WW84 tonight, could watch Tenet instead but can’t be assed with having to think.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Neither can Tenet

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!