Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • Tenet was one of my Christmas presents.  Wife and daughter have scheduled a walk with the neighbours tomorrow morning so I'm hoping to watch it in peace while they're out.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Shit, was going to watch WW84 tonight, could watch Tenet instead but can’t be assed with having to think.

Yep, it was shit and I really enjoyed the first one.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • GREAT NEWS EVERYBODY!

Warner Bros has announced they're greenlighting a third Wonder Woman movie!

XREhezg.gif
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • We are going to watch this now based on G.man's writeup. Bar is set as low as scifi can go.

Still dont get why DC cant make the Marvel formula work on the big screen for themselves.
  • Wait, if you’re actually going off G’s write-up, surely you’ll be avoiding it like Covid?!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The Future of DC Films: Two Batman Stories, Six Movies Per Year Split Between Theaters and HBO Max

HBO Max will also be the home to spinoff series that branch out from the theatrical comic book movies. 

DC Films is also diving head first into the multiverse in order to maintain its DC Extended Universe timeline (Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman, Jason Momoa’s Aquaman, Ezra Miller’s Flash, etc.) while also developing more standalone-minded projects (think “Joker” and Robert Pattinson’s “The Batman”). To summarize: Robert Pattinson’s Caped Crusader does not exist in the DC Extended Universe, but he does exist in the DC Films multiverse.

“Boiled down, it means that some characters (Wonder Woman as portrayed by Ms. Gadot, for instance) will continue their adventures on Earth 1, while new incarnations (Mr. Pattinson as ‘The Batman’) will populate Earth 2,” The Times continues. “‘The Flash,’ a film set for release in theaters in 2022, will link the two universes and feature two Batmans, with Mr. Affleck returning as one and Michael Keaton returning as the other. Mr. Keaton played Batman in 1989 and 1992.”

The reveal that Warner Bros. “will have two different film sagas involving Batman — played by two different actors — running at the same time” is sure to pique fan interest. Pattinson is behind one of the franchises, while it’s rumored “The Flash” movie will set up the future of the Dark Knight in the DC Extended Universe. Affleck played Bruce Wayne/Batman in two DCEU entries before exiting the role, but his “Flash” appearance has many assuming he’ll be handing over the baton to a new DCEU Batman.

Two batman film series with two different batmans across two different universes. The tv film series is in a different universe than the tv spin off from the cinema movie series. Earth 1 Batman will be introduced in a film with three Batmans called The Flash.
  • Why would you call one Batman The Flash, let alone 3?
  • This is exactly the kind of BS that puts many people off the comics.

SFV - reddave360
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I read that and it feels like one of Gurt’s truck questions. What am I supposed to watch again?
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    This is exactly the kind of BS that puts many people off the comics.

It's also the exact kind of stuff DC are banking on bringing in the enthusiast market it seems/
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I read that and it feels like one of Gurt’s truck questions. What am I supposed to watch again?

The MCU.
  • WTF are DC smoking?!

Is all of this due to an iffy studio head that doesn't really know how to piece this together? Feige has done a solid with Marvel but is it really just because of the one good guy?

How does DC keep making very very average stuff? Like there's blockbuster fun fluff and then there's blockbuster DC. They can't even seem to get the cliches right.
  • For all of marvel’s success the two best super hero films came from outside the mcu in WW and Spiderverse.

MCU films have a bland house style that almost feels it’s embarrassed about the punch thwack nature of comic books. Also all the jokes are the same after Avengers Assemble and you could literally replace them with a drum beat because the jokes are simply reliant on the same rhythm rather than the content of the joke.

I find the WW84 thing very bizarre. The first batch of reviews sounded like the film was going to be great and then the most recent reviews suggest the film is donkey. It’s like the US election in terms of vote patterns.
  • Shills be shillin', then the public got to see it, and quickly realised it's an absolute fucking stinker.
  • Tempy wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    It's also the exact kind of stuff DC are banking on bringing in the enthusiast market it seems/
    Are there that many of them to matter. This feels more like they want two Batman franchises to milk, because veryone knows who Batman is.
  • I_R wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Are there that many of them to matter. This feels more like they want two Batman franchises to milk, because veryone knows who Batman is.

I think this is obviously where they're going wrong with their plan, as there aren't enough of these fans but they need something to differentiate themselves from Marvel. But also they have like 5000 shows on ABC or whatever, and people seem to be watching them.
  • For all of marvel’s success the two best super hero films came from outside the mcu in WW and Spiderverse.

MCU films have a bland house style that almost feels it’s embarrassed about the punch thwack nature of comic books. Also all the jokes are the same after Avengers Assemble and you could literally replace them with a drum beat because the jokes are simply reliant on the same rhythm rather than the content of the joke.

I find the WW84 thing very bizarre. The first batch of reviews sounded like the film was going to be great and then the most recent reviews suggest the film is donkey. It’s like the US election in terms of vote patterns.

Thought WW was a bit wank really other than gadot’s uncanny inhabitation of the character (looks like her lack of acting chops has caught up with her in ww84 though), and spider verse is part of mcu if new spidey news pans out (basically multiverse innit)

Also felt ragnarok, first gotg, and infinity war were interesting enough departures from house style. Ooh and ant man. Oh and winter soldier. All of which I’d rate much higher than WW but opinions eh
  • Still not brave enough to do another Superman film I notice.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    DCs mum needs to step in and ask “if Marvel were to jump off a bridge, would you do that too?”
  • If there’s one problem with the DC films (there’s not there’s loads, but if there’s one big one) then it’s that they’ve got no idea what these films should look like, or feel like. All they know is they want to make tons of them in a short space of time. They used Nolan as a template and that didn’t work. Then they gave the whole thing to Snyder who wanted to fill everything with ugly CGI. Then they’ve just been drifting around. The first 20 mins of WW84 seemed to be cribbing from Donner Superman, then they forgot to carry on with that. They thought Aquaman needed jokes like a Marvel movie, but had no idea when to do them. So you get William Dafoe riding a fucking giant seahorse to a parlay and it’s played completely straight.

It seems like they’ve pounced on this multiverse idea to solve a problem that they’ve never got to grips with. They have no cohesive vision but they want to make loads of stuff so fuck it, multiverse, then it doesn’t matter if it contradicts other things and doesn’t fit in, or your actor leaves after one film or doesn’t want to sign up for six Batmans and cameo in your other films.

Marvel is using the multiverse to freshen stuff up, probably do some retconning, bring in newly acquired franchises. Probably there’s an arc to the whole thing that they’ve already worked out and will be slowly building up to.
  • Best DC film for me was Joker. They should learn from that... stand-alone, good single film stories. Not connected to anything, just  good films. It’s something Marvel can’t actually do outside of an animated ‘what if...’ series now, they should take advantage of it!

Oh I quite likes Shazam! as well, that was loads of fun.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message

@g.man

I think I'll watch this instead of the film
  • Yesssss.
    Looking forward to this. RLM are the best thing about DC.
  • Aye, just watched that fellas. Good fun.
  • DC owe them good money.
    Most DC movies I end up watching to spot what these guys are saying, then agreeing how terrible the movie was.
  • Then again I have never paid to see a DC movie.
  • Oh, you'll pay, my friend. In fact you'll be paying for the rest of your life!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Aye, just watched that fellas. Good fun.

Good fellas?
  • g.man wrote:
    Oh, you'll pay, my friend. In fact you'll be paying for the rest of your life!

:D

"We have data that millions of people are torrenting our movies. Success"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!