Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • That Batman trailer does seem to be getting a fair amount of pushback. It’s meant to be the first part of a trilogy as well. I really hope they don’t take this as a cue to stick some laughs in there. People just need a palette cleanser. Do a live action, Brave and the Bold or something. Reboot the 60s one with, erm, Will Arnett.

They have only shot about half of that Pattinson one I think so they might try and make changes. I hope they don’t. Make it grimmer imo. Just no bloody flashbacks to that alley.
  • Im watching Batman & Robin.
    It is so good.

Batman just slid down the back of a Brontosaurus. You aren't gonna get Patterson doing that.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Im watching Batman & Robin. It is so good. Batman just slid down the back of a Brontosaurus. You aren't gonna get Patterson doing that.

Thank Fuck
    monkey wrote:
    That Batman trailer does seem to be getting a fair amount of pushback. It’s meant to be the first part of a trilogy as well. I really hope they don’t take this as a cue to stick some laughs in there. People just need a palette cleanser. Do a live action, Brave and the Bold or something. Reboot the 60s one with, erm, Will Arnett. They have only shot about half of that Pattinson one I think so they might try and make changes. I hope they don’t. Make it grimmer imo. Just no bloody flashbacks to that alley.

I hope they stick with the tone. It looks nicely different to whats come before and thats definitely what Batman needs (apart from a break). I'm generally not a fan of grim for the sake of it but I think in this case, it would be a side of Batman we havent seen in cinema. 

Also fuck planning trilogies before people even like your first one. Leave a few breadcrumbs to pick up on and if its a success go from there. 

Although - Will Arnett 60's Style Batman would take all my money.
    SFV - reddave360
  • 60s style Batman done now would be Batman & Robin ya mental.
  • They're only shot 25% of The Batman apparently, didn't realise that. That's a hell of a trailer for a quarter of a film
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Covid has delayed the Brontosaurus slide.
  • They did all the Glasgow location filming, then Covid hit and they had to stop.

The continuity department are going to have a hell of a time when things gear up again, aren’t they?
  • Real talk - the Schumacher Batmans are bad. Not bad because they’re camp, but bad because they’re bad. They’re an absolute mess visually. There’s so much going on you can’t tell what’s what. Any shot of Gotham is just confusing. Red and blue lighting and incomprehensible architecture.

The performances are what kills the movies though. Kilmer and Clooney are just hunks of meat, barely acting. Not keeping it deadpan like Adam West, just literally doing nothing. It’s admittedly a while since I’ve seen them but they’re passable in Bruce Wayne mode as they both know how how to play suave rich dicks. But put them in that bondage style Batsuit and they’re completely lost. Jim Carey is in full Jim Carey mode ie annoying as hell. Tommy Lee Two-Face I think must have been drunk throughout filming. He’s barely comprehensible. Apart from them the only one putting any effort in is the Robin one. Chris wassisname. Arnie and Uma are terrible.
    The jokes don’t land, there’s nothing witty in the scripts like 60s Batman. They’re not comedies, they’re not good action films. They might have a lot of intentional absurdity in there but it’s not clear when I’m supposed to be amused and when I’m not. It was never though.
  • monkey wrote:
    Real talk - the Schumacher Batmans are bad. Not bad because they’re camp, but bad because they’re bad. They’re an absolute mess visually. There’s so much going on you can’t tell what’s what. Any shot of Gotham is just confusing. Red and blue lighting and incomprehensible architecture.

The performances are what kills the movies though. Kilmer and Clooney are just hunks of meat, barely acting. Not keeping it deadpan like Adam West, just literally doing nothing. It’s admittedly a while since I’ve seen them but they’re passable in Bruce Wayne mode as they both know how how to play suave rich dicks. But put them in that bondage style Batsuit and they’re completely lost. Jim Carey is in full Jim Carey mode ie annoying as hell. Tommy Lee Two-Face I think must have been drunk throughout filming. He’s barely comprehensible. Apart from them the only one putting any effort in is the Robin one. Chris wassisname. Arnie and Uma are terrible.
    The jokes don’t land, there’s nothing witty in the scripts like 60s Batman. They’re not comedies, they’re not good action films. They might have a lot of intentional absurdity in there but it’s not clear when I’m supposed to be amused and when I’m not. It was never though.

If you are analysing to that level then you are Schumacering wrong.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @monkey

Nail

Head
  • I get they’re supposed to be tongue in cheek but the cheeks shouldn’t be Joel Schumachers ass.
  • Yes that doesn’t make much sense but I thought it so I posted it.
  • Haha.
    Look, they are categorically not good movies but they are lightweight and fun. In fact I dont think Forever goes far enough on that road to bother with, it is more of a third Burton movie without Burton (when Burton was good of course).

B&R is so far gone it is fun, silly and most importantly knowing. The more of these grim dark Batman and DC movies come out the more I like it, the more it stands out.
    Watching Patterson sat there, mascara running down his face like someone has been dumped on the dance floor of Oceana after too many gin cocktails. It makes me like B&R even more.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Oceana :-D
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I like Forever and And Robin for what they are which is not good but it is entertaining.
  • Spoiler:
  • There was one bit in And Robin where Batgirl bursts in and tells Poison Ivy she’s about to become compost. But she pronounces ‘-post’ as in the stuff the postman puts through the door. I’d never heard it before and it took me by such surprise I burst out laughing in an otherwise silent cinema. To the amusement of those around me. Good times.

Apart from that, they’re duds.
  • Wait, wasn’t the Oceana a club in Watford? Were there others?!

Edit: I liked batman forever, loved the Burton ones as a kid (on VHS) and went with my dad and brother to see forever, was a great day out. No memory of the film, apart from jim carrey and a flaming lips song(?)
  • Milton Keynes had one, pretty sure Leeds did as well.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    We had one in Brum. It was amazing the first time it opened. You ended up going in with mates but being able to go to your own mini-club inside. Novelty soon wore off though. Then it became a dive quickly.
  • I didnt realise New Mutants was actually finally coming out next week.
    What's her chops from Game of Thrones looks about 7 years old.
  • I only remember it being a cesspit of Bacardi breezers and shite music. I can still smell the crappy aftershave every dude was doused in.

I only went once when I was 18 with my wife and her friends tbf. I was more used to the crappy venues in Camden and Kentish Town. The same but with music sponsored by Kerrang and more BO :D
  • It was the biggest place in Milton Keynes, because Milton Keynes.
    I liked it when I was 18,19. Went off to uni, came back and it was a bit tragic. My experiences were obviously broadened but the place seemed to go a bit downhill as well. The last time I went in it was half empty and I gotta tell you a half empty Oceana is extremely depressing.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    60s style Batman done now would be Batman & Robin ya mental.

Was going to respond but I think Monkey covered my view pretty well. A 60s style Batman aimed as comedy would be fine. 

I must admit, I did enjoy getting called 'ya mental'. Ta very much.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Cardiff has an oceana which became an icehouse.
  • Batman is probably still my favourite superhero, but I'm very aware of the 1%er fascist overtones of a billionaire vigilante dressing up to beat the shit out of street criminals and the mentally ill with the tacit authorisation of the police for his vigilante lawbreaking, and the shifting of opinion towards capital punishment because "well Batman gets results, so we should let the cops break criminals' spines", but this guy's idea for a "dark and gritty" Batman vs. Police corruption might work nicely:  https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1297996912822493196.html
  • It's pretty surprising to me that in the last few years my favourite superhero has become Gwen Stacy.
  • monkey wrote:
    That Batman trailer does seem to be getting a fair amount of pushback. It’s meant to be the first part of a trilogy as well. I really hope they don’t take this as a cue to stick some laughs in there. People just need a palette cleanser. Do a live action, Brave and the Bold or something. Reboot the 60s one with, erm, Will Arnett.

They have only shot about half of that Pattinson one I think so they might try and make changes. I hope they don’t. Make it grimmer imo. Just no bloody flashbacks to that alley.

Finally watched the trailer. Looks alright. Fairly dark and and a superwaif batman. Still want to see a 15 cert batman movie (as 18 certs arent really used anymore).
  • djchump wrote:
    Batman is probably still my favourite superhero, but I'm very aware of the 1%er fascist overtones of a billionaire vigilante dressing up to beat the shit out of street criminals and the mentally ill with the tacit authorisation of the police for his vigilante lawbreaking, and the shifting of opinion towards capital punishment because "well Batman gets results, so we should let the cops break criminals' spines", but this guy's idea for a "dark and gritty" Batman vs. Police corruption might work nicely:  https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1297996912822493196.html

I think you are over thinking batman a bit there, but I think that's an interesting and modern take on the character. It put s a genuinely modern take on the character and without damaging the core concept of the character.
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!