Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • I'd be more optimistic if it was almost any other director than Snyder. Other than Dawn of the Dead, everything he's done has been pretty poor, Watchmen included.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I'm still a little interested, partly because it's so off the wall and partly because that Watchmen extended cut is better than the cinema release. He does have some chops as well, even if he tends to need a comic book to work as a storyboard.

That trailer still looks terrible though and the black and white stuff swings from impressive to painful.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ve only ever watched the extended cuts of DC films when they’re available, and I tend to come away thinking that they weren’t nearly as bad as everyone said. Take from that what you will.
  • poprock wrote:
    Yes, because Snyder did it and everything he touches turns to lukewarm piss. Except Watchmen, somehow. Which must have been beginner’s luck.

I liked dawn of the dead (a lot!) and I thought his adaptation of frank millers 300 was pretty good, they were both a good few years before Watchmen.

Everything since though, yeah agree.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Due to Snyder and his team's palette choices, the film actually will likely look alright in B&W. I suspect there will also be a post team ensuring that.
    But it's still the same fucking film. Four hours, one piss break.

Is it though? Lots of new content, story fleshed out immensely, different director with a different vision... I'm not saying it's now going to be amazing but I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing what Snyder has done with it.

Oh, I don't mean the same film as the first one - I suspect it'll be radically different. I guess I should have said it'll be the same Snyder version.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Also +1 for only Dawn of the Dead being good.
  • Ditto on Dawn, it really is a great horror.

I'd also agree with yoss that the dc extended cut versions tend to work better and watchman was similar.

Would be curious as to how different things get. There's been reshoots along with new effects added, and I'd be guessing much of what wheadon reshot will be dumped.
    SFV - reddave360
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Also +1 for only Dawn of the Dead being good.

+2
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The Whedon cut was around 65-70% new stuff IIRC so it will be a rather different movie. Still won't be any good.

Tempy and I were bemoaning our tradition of sneaking a wee half bottle of voddy into the Cineworld on Buchanan St and splitting it between two bottles of diet coke then watching shite movies.

It worked a treat for the first JL.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’ve only ever watched the extended cuts of DC films when they’re available, and I tend to come away thinking that they weren’t nearly as bad as everyone said. Take from that what you will.

Suppose it depends on definition of "bad".

Justice League is pure trash. It's boring, self serious to the point of mockery, worst bad guy, looks ugly as sin, incomprehensible CGI action.

Man of Steel is sort of OK if you don't mind ridiculous shit like Pa Kent and the neck snapping and the thousands of dead and injured humans and Russell Crowe ham.

Bats vs Supes is basically as bad as JL

so I guess your definition of "bad" is a fuck of a lot worse than mine
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not watched JL, so can’t comment on that.

Bats vs Supes I thought was a pretty bog-average superhero movie. Worse than most of the Marvel stuff, better than something like Green Lantern.
  • I mean "better than Green Lantern" is the lowest of bars right 

that film made a huge loss. BvS made a massive profit. I don't know what my point is. Maybe that if something is as bad as GL then you expect it to be pounded at the box office, to become an in-joke in every film Reynolds has been involved in since. But BvS is maybe mildly better (not too sure in which way(s)) but made a fortune so maybe it annoys me more?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’d probably rank it above the first two Thor films too, and that third one in the original X Men trilogy. Probably some others too, if any of that helps.
  • BatSoup is one of the worst films I've ever seen. Obviously Green Lantern is worse, but that's because that is the worst film ever made.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Again, only seen the director’s cut of it, don’t know if that makes a difference, but it didn’t strike me as all that terrible.
  • Is that not the one where a big bit of the plot only makes sense in the extended cut.
  • Obviously Green Lantern is worse, but that's because that is the worst film ever made.

The G.I. Joe films might have something to say about that opinion.
  • I dont know how they got G.I Joe to be so incredibly boring. That should he one of the easiest franchises to turn into popcorn action fun.
  • poprock wrote:
    Obviously Green Lantern is worse, but that's because that is the worst film ever made.

Nope. I've seen the first one. Green Lantern is worse.
  • poprock wrote:
    Obviously Green Lantern is worse, but that's because that is the worst film ever made.

Nope. I've seen the first one. Green Lantern is worse.

Seconded. I haven't seen the second gi Joe movie but I hear its that rare thing when adding the rock to an action movie made things worse.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I still can't believe they put the Rock in... and not as The Rock.

This is a cartoon that had Sgt Slaughter, as Sgt Slaughter.
  • Wouldn’t it be amazing if rather than try and redo the bad CGI to remove the moustache on superman’s face they just leave it in and CGI a moustache onto Henry Caville in all the other scenes?

I remember hearing the film had whole scenes filmed at night, and they spent a load of money in post changing them into day. There is obviously a very different looking film under it all, but I can’t imagine the plot is majorly different other than being, just longer I guess?
  • I still can't believe they put the Rock in... and not as The Rock.

This is a cartoon that had Sgt Slaughter, as Sgt Slaughter.

Genuinely good point.

Wouldn’t it be amazing if rather than try and redo the bad CGI to remove the moustache on superman’s face they just leave it in and CGI a moustache onto Henry Caville in all the other scenes?

I remember hearing the film had whole scenes filmed at night, and they spent a load of money in post changing them into day. There is obviously a very different looking film under it all, but I can’t imagine the plot is majorly different other than being, just longer I guess?

I think the aim wasn't to make them daytime, just brighter as a whole and it's why some costumes look terrible as they were designed to be in more darkness.

It's a pretty murky film to begin with though.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Snyder cut will be significantly worse than the shit cut we already got. 

The whole thing feels like a misunderstanding.  Like someone said it as a joke,  ut some producer thought they were being serious so they've had to churn something out to avoid telling him.
  • I genuinely can't believe this is what it's come to.

I know I'm not a fan and never will be, but come on, grown fuckin adults getting excited about a film so bad upon release it was instantly marked as a dummy run, and the real good one was actually hidden away, to then turn into a fucking hashtag and years of omg will they won't they gossip, to it then being confirmed and people losing their mind, to then hypothesizing about oh man I wonder what we're gonna find out with this cut gee whizz, to us now back on that pre-release hype train thanks to a trailer, and now everyone has to have a piece on it. Which will then repeat when it releases. And then when the new cut comes. The directors 2025 4K 2024 reshoot edition or some shite.

Guys. Give it up. It's shite. Always was. Always will be. You don't need to pretend anymore. Your credentials won't be harmed. It's ok. Move on.

Fucking fuck me. Don't start me on Disney+ as well.
  • I’m pretty sure the whole thing has been memed into existence.
    Edit - wot gav said
  • It's been made to see me off, clearly.
  • I don’t even remember the first one. Superman is angry when they bring him back from the dead. There’s a ‘funny’ scene with Aquaman where he doesn’t know that Wonder Woman has hooked her lasso of truth on him. That’s genuinely it.
  • It's the amount of people that just give it all a free pass because "ooh marvel/DC!", folk in the TV thread giving it hmmm I'm on ep 5 of this superthingy and it ain't grabbed me can we talk for a page or two about this???

Lads! Come on to fuck! Stop encouraging them!

*exhales*

I'm away for a walk.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!