Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Without wanting to sound like a Disney shill, Mando and WandaVision are competent light genre entertainment in an environment where competing shows like Star Trek and Doctor Who are floundering.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I genuinely can't believe this is what it's come to. I know I'm not a fan and never will be, but come on, grown fuckin adults getting excited about a film so bad upon release it was instantly marked as a dummy run, and the real good one was actually hidden away, to then turn into a fucking hashtag and years of omg will they won't they gossip, to it then being confirmed and people losing their mind, to then hypothesizing about oh man I wonder what we're gonna find out with this cut gee whizz, to us now back on that pre-release hype train thanks to a trailer, and now everyone has to have a piece on it. Which will then repeat when it releases. And then when the new cut comes. The directors 2025 4K 2024 reshoot edition or some shite. Guys. Give it up. It's shite. Always was. Always will be. You don't need to pretend anymore. Your credentials won't be harmed. It's ok. Move on. Fucking fuck me. Don't start me on Disney+ as well.
    I completely agree with Gav....yet i'm ashamed to admit if they said they were remaking the last two star wars movies i'd be all for it. I think fans of something that are disappointed with the result, are hoping there's a better version there. Blaming directors/studio interferance etc is a distraction more than anything though, but still.

what would be really weird/worrying/interesting about this thing is if it did actually end up with a great/good movie that is generally well received and considered 'worthy'....and what chain reaction that might lead to with other films being 'revisited'.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Without wanting to sound like a Disney shill, Mando and WandaVision are competent light genre entertainment in an environment where competing shows like Star Trek and Doctor Who are floundering.

Yep, I’m enjoying both WandaVision and Mando. Superhero films also fill that “switch off your brain and enjoy two hours of spectacle” niche which has existed for me ever since Schwarzenegger was Schwarzenegging.
  • Gav dislikes the dominant cultural paradigm. It’s cool, that’s his shout to have.
  • There are fans of all sorts of shit, people on this very forum highly rate the films of Michael Bay. The odd thing is that after a less than stellar run since Watchmen, this weird recut of a terrible mess of a film seems to have social media all excited.

I can't work out if these are genuine Snyder or DC Comics fanboys or if WB marketing is throwing money and bots at building hype for a film that isn't even getting a cinema release.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Gav dislikes the dominant cultural paradigm. It’s cool, that’s his shout to have.

The whole geek media hype machine is annoying but I think it's worth pointing out that the Star Wars and MCU shows are genuinely worthy of at least some critical notice compared to their contemporaries.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    There are fans of all sorts of shit, people on this very forum highly rate the films of Michael Bay. The odd thing is that after a less than stellar run since Watchmen, this weird recut of a terrible mess of a film seems to have social media all excited.

I can't work out if these are genuine Snyder or DC Comics fanboys or if WB marketing is throwing money and bots at building hype for a film that isn't even getting a cinema release.

Is it not partially because there's fuck all else to talk about in that superhero film space?
  • I_R wrote:

There are a ton of weirdo Synder/DC fanboys.
  • I did not mention Mando or Star Wars. That's for another time.
  • Is it not partially because there's fuck all else to talk about in that superhero film space?

It’s bigger than superhero stuff, there’s fuck all to talk about in the ‘big dumb action movie’ film space at all. Stupid Justice League Extra Edition is probably the biggest news in shooty-punchy movies this year. Which is a sorry state of affairs, but there you go.
  • It does seem like a vanity project the Synder cut of JLA. Maybe its just desperation from the studio heads hoping against hope that he can polish a turd into a diamond and give fresh life to their clusterfuck of universe. I doubt it. No matter how much you polish a turd, its still a turd.
  • I'll give it a break simply because it's original release was clearly not the film planned by snider nor expected by those dc film fans who liked his stuff. It wasn't even a good joss whedon film, and is a real mess of a film. It's not the same as a film that was made and just wasn't good.

I'd also be curious to see the original movie fantastic four was meant to be because that seemed to be butchered as well.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Guys, I am *just* out of a early screening and it is FACT: the #SnyderCut is incredible! DC's best yet! And trust me, guys, you'll DEFINITELY want to hang around for the credits ;) ;) ;)

562 replies
    10.8k retweets
    27.1k likes

Profile photo is some neckbeard holding a cap'n shield so YOU KNOW, eh. Runs twelve podcasts, one for each plane of reality Fiege operates on. (yes I know he's marvel don't fuckin dare splain it)
  • No, the walk did not help. Trying a drive now.

Apologies.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Is it not partially because there's fuck all else to talk about in that superhero film space?

It’s bigger than superhero stuff, there’s fuck all to talk about in the ‘big dumb action movie’ film space at all. Stupid Justice League Extra Edition is probably the biggest news in shooty-punchy movies this year. Which is a sorry state of affairs, but there you go.

This might fill a gap, the russian trailer has leaked and it looks like gory fun, exactly what you want from a Mortal Kombat film:

https://streamable.com/222dpw
  • That looks truly dire. 

But then I think Mortal Kombat is rubbish, and always has been.
  • That MK trailer is great.
  • Actually yeah it’s pretty bloody good! Huh! Huh?!
  • Fucking fuck me. Don't start me on Disney+ as well.

I have to agree, it was fun when we all got to watch ducktails and rescue rangers and lady and the tramp... but right now we’re watching muppet babies and I just don’t want to renew.

They love those bloody muppet babies.
  • The proper Muppet Show is being added later in the month. Maybe you can transition.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Can't believe you didn't notice me suggesting drinking a half of a half bottle of vodka and watching it as Tempy and I did.

Makes anything passable.

More importantly
    LivDiv wrote:
    The proper Muppet Show is being added later in the month. Maybe you can transition.

FUCKING BUZZING. I have S1 and 2 on DVD but never seen S3. What a show.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Guys, I am *just* out of a early screening and it is FACT: the #SnyderCut is incredible! DC's best yet! And trust me, guys, you'll DEFINITELY want to hang around for the credits ;) ;) ;)

562 replies
    10.8k retweets
    27.1k likes

Profile photo is some neckbeard holding a cap'n shield so YOU KNOW, eh. Runs twelve podcasts, one for each plane of reality Fiege operates on. (yes I know he's marvel don't fuckin dare splain it)

This is also stupidly accurate.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    The proper Muppet Show is being added later in the month. Maybe you can transition.

Thanks, I’m really gonna give it a go. They quite like the Cookie Monster and Elmo stuff so hopefully will catch on!

I quite like the Cookie Monster and Elmo stuff too, I’d rather that than... muppet babies.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Thanks, I’m really gonna give it a go. They quite like the Cookie Monster and Elmo stuff so hopefully will catch on! I quite like the Cookie Monster and Elmo stuff too, I’d rather that than... muppet babies.

Muppet Babies, we make our dreams come true
    Muppet Babies, we'll do the same for you

When your room looks kind of weird
    And you wish you were not there.
    Just close yours and make believe
    we'll take you anywhere

I like Adventure
    I Like romance
    I like great Jokes
    Animal Dance!
    I Like my computer
    I'm up in the air
    I play piano 
    I've got blue here
    I invent things ... (beaker meep)

Is everything all right in here? YES NANNY!

Yes, my daughter too likes them muppet babies. Catchy song that I remembered much of from my own childhood.
    SFV - reddave360
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Wandavision was a much better episode this week. I’m back on board.
  • Fuck Gav.  It gives me half an hour to myself in the playroom with a sandwich and some crisps on a Saturday and I'll take that.
  • b0r1s wrote:

Just saw epsiode 7.
    Epsiode 7 spoilers below
    Spoiler:
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:

Just saw epsiode 7.
    Epsiode 7 spoilers below
    Spoiler:

Yeah I have to keep explaining who people are to my wife, which leads down other holes and to other backstories till I realise once again, the idea they made these comics and stories into multi-billion dollar francises is bonkers.

I can’t wait till the cows all turn out to be skrulls.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    Thanks, I’m really gonna give it a go. They quite like the Cookie Monster and Elmo stuff so hopefully will catch on! I quite like the Cookie Monster and Elmo stuff too, I’d rather that than... muppet babies.

Muppet Babies, we make our dreams come true
    Muppet Babies, we'll do the same for you

When your room looks kind of weird
    And you wish you were not there.
    Just close yours and make believe
    we'll take you anywhere

I like Adventure
    I Like romance
    I like great Jokes
    Animal Dance!
    I Like my computer
    I'm up in the air
    I play piano 
    I've got blue here
    I invent things ... (beaker meep)

Is everything all right in here? YES NANNY!

Yes, my daughter too likes them muppet babies. Catchy song that I remembered much of from my own childhood.

Ahhhhh! My head! You monster!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!