Spider-Man
  • If it’s the one I’m thinking of, take out all the perimeter snipers first and and gadget the two guys to hell at the end. The two guys are standing by a large garage door if it’s the right one. I only remember it because it was tricky not to tip them off when you’re cleaning up the rest of them.
  • The Blur Projector suit power is handy as well.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I completed it in the end (max rating as I became a dab hand at taking out all the other guys) but it seems odd that there's not a way to instantly take out two guys in close proximity.
  • Spaff webbing everywhere suit power?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I used that but got spotted before they got webbed up.

Here is it, the two guys before the blind as a bat sniper at the end:

I think he used impact web, I didn't try that as when I used the shock web it stunned both, KO'd one but alerted the other.
  • I'm genuinely impressed with this game. It wouldn't have troubled any GotY list for me, even if i had played it at launch as it's absolutely of a genre that isn't my thing - open-world brawler slash collectathon. It's a shameless mongrel, stealing liberally from other games of its ilk. And yet, I really like it. Even the combat. Especially the combat.

There's an intentionality to fights in this game that I often feel is lacking in something like Batman, which is more reactive. Enemies can kill you quickly, but Spider-man is an absolute joy to control - it's not just by luck that I'm able to web enemies, knock them into the air, throw them against a wall and then grab scenery to fling at other enemies around. Despite the busyness of the arenas, the huge number of buttons used and the number of thugs, it's actually easy to read the combat arenas and utilise them. Spider-man is fast and fluid, and responsive, and I actually like fighting in this game, when I felt the exact opposite in the Batman games. 

The drip-feed of collectables is well judged and the swinging mechanics....oh my days. The voice acting and story are solid, JJJ is a riot and it's just a great world to be a part of - far better than Arkham City and Arkham Knight's empty concrete jungle. 

It's probably the first Insomniac game i've really liked - never got on with Infamous, Ratchet or Resistance - as they always felt a bit too light and loose, and a bit too loud. Talented workmanship, for sure, but they never clicked for me. But this has. 

It's not gonna change my life, but that's ok - sometimes it's enough for a game to be really, really fun.
  • I think it’s the only Insomniac game I’ve played. None of the others appealed and I don’t think were as well received. Maybe that was why I passed on this myself. Was genuinely surprised at how much I liked it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • From what I remember, Insomniac games were always well received critically - 80-90 scores, generally. But...they always felt so fast-food and lacked any weight. But yeah...like you, I was surprised by how much i enjoy this.
  • Boys, boys, boys. Ratchet & Clank is fantastic. You both need help.
  • Oh shit ok I have played a little bit of Insomniac. My nephew was into Ratchet in a big way since the very first game. I played some with him.

I was more into Jak.
  • Oh, Sony bought Insomniac in August 2019. They’re now a first party developer.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Oh, Sony bought Insomniac in August 2019. They’re now a first party developer.

Aye. Their first party lineup is now scarily good. Albeit, they’ve lost Studio Liverpool (closed) and Team Ico (RIP - neva 4get).

Can pretty much guarantee one or two decent AAA exclusives per year from First-party teams alone. Would like to see Japan Studio back on their A-game, though - the days of Echochrome and Loco Roco seem so long ago.
  • Just bought the deluxe edition in the PSN sale before it finishes tonight. Will get stuck in tomorrow evening.
  • Didn't play it for too long.

First impressions, swinging is great, but combat doesn't seem as fluid as the Arkham games, but that could be because of so much muscle memory from those games.

Loved the "Have you got a black and white suit?" followed by an awkward pause line.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You have to unlock most of the fun stuff, it keeps the training wheels on for a while.
  • Picked up where I left off last night, just refamiliarising myself with the controls really.  I played it a bit at launch as I ordered my mate's PS4 pack for him, so the save is still there.  Looks good plays well.  Whoever plays the mayor does a good job imo, the story scenes seem strong.
  • Yeah, it becomes much better once you unlock some stuff.

If you haven't already, unlock Perfect Dodge as soon as you can.
  • Andy wrote:
    Boys, boys, boys. Ratchet & Clank is fantastic. You both need help.

This!
  • digi wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    Boys, boys, boys. Ratchet & Clank is fantastic. You both need help.

This!

I get the quality. Have tried to play them. Get bored. They’re not for me.

Just personal preference, is all.
  • I tried to play a couple on previous gens and got bored, but the PS4 entry got its claws in. It's very straightforward by modern standards but I'd have it in my top 5 PS4 exclusives for sure.
  • Ah lads.
    Spoiler:
  • Does the DLC take place after the main story ends, or is it okay to do them before?

Pretty sure I'm going to 100% this.
  • Does the DLC take place after the main story ends, or is it okay to do them before? Pretty sure I'm going to 100% this.

You can do DLC after - it's selected from the in-game menu.
  • I know I can do it any time, but is it like Arkham DLC that's specifically post-game content, and will spoiler the main game, or is it generic enough to do whenever?
  • Oh, sorry - I haven’t completed it, but I can’t remember many references to the main campaign. Seems like it would work well post-game.
  • I’ve only done the first DLC so far. I don’t recall there being anything which would spoil the main story but, given that I had completed the main story, I might not have noticed if there was.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    If there were. Tsk, Andy.
  • I don’t recall if there were anything.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!