Gaming regrets
  • Letting my mate choose Hitmonchan leaving me with Hitmonlee.

Hitmonchan is terrible in RBY. Most of its moves are special, but it has a terrible Special stat.

Hitmonlee had all the good physical Fighting moves, and a good Attack stat to back them up, plus it got STAB on them.
  • I traded my PC Engine + 5 games for a Master System + 20 games, even though we'd already owned and sold a Master System a few years before.

I was trying to sell it through the classified ads in the back of CVG (I think), and all I got for weeks were people ringing up offering to swap it various things, including even a bike at one point. In the end I just thought no one was ever going to offer me money for the thing, so took what I thought was a decent deal. I suppose I then managed to sell the MS at some point - can't remember now.

Weird thing was I'd still occasionally get phone calls about the PC Engine years later. Like, over a decade after it'd appeared in the magazine.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    About 18 months ago I sold a pile of stuff (250 games) to Chillout games. Most of it was low value stuff but there were some nice items too. I know I would have got more selling them privately but time wasn't on my side and I've had my fingers burned selling eBay with lying buyers, and you have eBay and PayPal charges too.

I haven't had a pang of regret since. Mostly because the games I got rid of either had newer versions (e.g. GC Metroid Prime and Pikmin games), PAL games replaced with NTSC (some N64 , Saturn), or simply games I would never play because of the genre.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Generally I have no regrets about selling old stuff. I've no interest in collecting or clutter, and it's not like I was going to set up the old consoles.

Except I may have timed some of the selling badly, just before prices really shot up.
  • Buying Driv3r. Playing Driv3r.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.

Thankfully Driv3r was during the time Game had a five day, no questions asked, returns policy.

• I used to regularly regret trading things in, and would buy them again later. In the PS2/Xbox days, there were some games I bought three times. For that reason, I still own pretty much every game

I regret getting rid of hardware. I have a PSone and a Ps2 but wish I still had my original PlayStation and PlayStation 2. I have owned an original GameBoy, Advance and SP, but now only have the micro. (What I’d really like to try my had at is modding an original GBA with a fancy-dan screen.) I wish I hadn’t loaded my modded PSP with pirated games, I wish I hadn’t sold it on eBay, and I wish I still had my PSPgo.

I don’t regret buying a Gizmodo, but I wish it had had a) a better battery, b) a less-juice-drinking sleep mode, and c) a bigger appreciation amongst its target market.

I regret asking for the trapeze Game & Watch when I was told I could have anything for free at my uncle’s toy fayre, when I could’ve had a table-top Donkey Kong unit which I had played all day. Everyone expected me to pick that but, given how we were raised, I felt it was greedy to ask for it. Stupid child.

That reminds me, I also regret throwing away my Tomytronic.

I regret sending that group message from Reg’s 360.
    Thankfully Driv3r was during the time Game had a five day, no questions asked, returns policy.

Ha, It was 10 day, and also the worst thing ever for staff.  You'd thing something like that would be simplistic enough as it basically turned Game into Blockbuster, but the grief it caused, fuck.   When someone who'd been renting a game on £39.99 for six weeks tried to get his money back 11 days after the most recent exchange, or wanted the cash without a receipt, or wanted dolla back when they'd paid in reward card vouchers, or tried to refund a bashed up game with a WHSmiths price sticker on it.  EVERY DAY THIS HAPPENED.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Buying Driv3r. Playing Driv3r.
    Ha, It was 10 day, and also the worst thing ever for staff.  You'd thing something like that would be simplistic enough as it basically turned Game into Blockbuster, but the grief it caused, fuck.   When someone who'd been renting a game on £39.99 for six weeks tried to get his money back 11 days after the most recent exchange, or wanted the cash without a receipt, or wanted dolla back when they'd paid in reward card vouchers, or tried to refund a bashed up game with a WHSmiths price sticker on it.  EVERY DAY THIS HAPPENED.

It's always the wankers that screw it up. I only returned a few games because they were genuinely crap and I always did it within a day or two at most. I remember returning a pinball game for PS1 the same day because after reading the manual I learned it didn't save high scores.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    I wish I still had my PSPgo.

You loved that PSPgo, what did you go and get rid of that for?!?!?
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I was always fairly skint, so traded in against new consoles. I don’t think there are any I’ve kept hold of when moving into a new generation. Oh – except the 360, which I hung on to for it’s Sky Go app until one arrived for the Xbone.

I don’t regret getting rid of anything over the years, probably just because I’ve always had too much ‘stuff’ hanging around anyhow.

There are some games I maybe regret not finishing. SOtC, for example. And I never fully completed FH2 before moving on to FH3.

I regret fucking up Broken Sword on the GameBoy SP and getting stuck at the goat bug. I ditched it instead of starting over.
  • I regret not having the confidence or drive to take my enjoyment of the hobby and turn it into some kind of job when you could still break into the journalism/writing side of it at 18 with no qualifications.

I also regret dicking away so many hours into them.
  • davyK wrote:
    It's always the wankers that screw it up. I only returned a few games because they were genuinely crap and I always did it within a day or two at most. I remember returning a pinball game for PS1 the same day because after reading the manual I learned it didn't save high scores.
    A couple of times I took back games that I'd finished within a week. Pikmin was one. It was very light on content though and had no business being a £40 game.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Actually, it was maybe selling my Commodore Plus/4 games a while ago. My Commodore was beyond sensibly affordable repair, and I need all the money I can get these days. I'd had them for 27 years, and probably would've kept them if I had a second bedroom for storage, but I live in a small one-bed, so off they went.

The Mega Drive's an odd one for me, because I disliked a lot of its ‘good’ games and liked some of its ‘bad’ ones. I used to buy them from a dude in Jersey — anyone else? Can't remember his name (probably a Paul; those guys are usually Pauls), but he ran an ad in some of the mags at the time.

Anyway, I was really keen on The Terminator, but he said that I'd complete it in an hour or two and recommended Alien 3 instead. As an adult, I can see his reasoning now, but I never enjoyed Alien 3 and wished that I'd gone for The Terminator; even if it did only last for an hour.

I was also really disappointed by Sonic 2, but I'm sure I've written about that at least once before. A list:

Disliked:

Alien 3
    Chuck Rock
    (real letdown)
    Desert Strike
    Earthworm Jim
    Galahad
    John Madden
    (the hut?!)
    Micro Machines
    Road Rash II
    Sonic 2
    Streets of Rage II

Liked:

Aladdin
    Altered Beast
    Ecco the Dolphin
    ESWAT
    Fatal Fury
    Golden Axe
    LandStalker
    Monaco GP
    Mortal Kombat
    (1-3)
    OutRun
    Quackshot
    Revenge of Shinobi
    Road Rash
    Sonic
    Streets of Rage
    ToeJam & Earl

I rented and borrowed most of those, so few regrets, but I thought I'd show you how weird tastes can be in comparison to what the magazines said. I always fancied trying Spot Goes to Hollywood and never did. And I had a Menacer, but despite its awfulness I had some decent fun with that.

I regret buying Burnout for the PS2, because it has the worst on-off handling in my 3D-racer memory. I can see how good it would've been had its difficulty not come from wrestling its 8-bit physics. Terrible.
  • I regret introducing @HawBawJaws and @Chazmano to FNF.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I remember when GameSpot was hiring and I was in the states and had a portfolio of music writing for a Salt Lake Zine.... Could have been
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hadda
  • I regret getting my wife to buy me a PSPGo. I've hardly touched it. 

I regret not continuing to put the time in to make a game. XBLIG being shut down very shortly.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Oh, that reminds me, I regret ignoring WarioWare DIY until it was on clearance because it would have been better at launch when all the online competitions were going.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I regret not having the confidence or drive to take my enjoyment of the hobby and turn it into some kind of job when you could still break into the journalism/writing side of it at 18 with no qualifications.

That reminds me; when I was looking for work, I made a bid for my dream job, and sent my CV in the form of a review of myself to Play magazine. I used Publisher to lay it all out looking exactly like a page of the magazine. What I didn’t do, though, is take everybody’s advice and follow it up with a phone call, and I never heard anything back.

That was until I found myself in an email dialogue with the editor, after I sent in something for the letters page. He remembered it, went and looked it out, and asked me if I’d still be interested. Like the fucking numbnut that I am, I felt this pang of misplaced loyalty to the company that had recently given me a job, and declined.

I’m not saying he was definitely giving me a job, or that it would have ever come to anything, but he was giving me one of those rare chances, and I politely declined. Fucking moron.
  • Je ne regrette rien de mes jeux.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I regret putting my Wii SD card wherever I put it because now I have no idea where my Wii data is.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    This thread just got real.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think it's just in my Wii but I did a system transfer to my Wii U and left the original Wii in my parent's attic so it isn't here. I'm going to check next time I visit.
  • I regret the games I have that still have the shrink wrap on them... just don't seem to get the time to play that much anymore, yet I still have the overbearing urge to get the newest release. Its a problem.
  • Buying a PS2 for Gran Turismo 2.

Buying any racing game ever.

Convincing myself that GTA games are worthwhile.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Buying a PS2 for Gran Turismo 2.

That's the last good one! And it's all the PS2 had for its first year. Y'know, besides...

Bowl.gif
  • Eh? Gran Turismo 2 was PSONE.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!